Home
Posted By: johnw General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
I've been wanting and intending to buy another boat for some years now. Work, and life in general have intervened but work is almost a thing of the past for me.

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.
And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?
Posted By: JGray Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
I've had a variety of boats over the years and the last one I bought was right after a divorce and I blame my choice on a mid-life crisis (it was this or the Corvette I'd always wanted). Guy I bought it from bought it new in '96 for bass fishing on the Mississippi but was getting up there in years and was looking to get into a Lund. I had a lot of fun with it when I was single and caught a lot of fish in it, but I guess I'm getting up there in years myself and am thinking I'm ready for something a little more family friendly. My wife hates it but my grandsons will disown me if I get something else, and I'm not ready to own two boats. What's a guy to do?

Anyway, good luck with your hunt - I wouldn't want to be without a boat of some sort...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Heym06 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Look at North River 21 ft , with an off shore bracket. Rivers and saltwater are covered with them on the west coast. Other makes Alumaweld, Motion Marine, Duckworth and Bolton come to mind.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
A boat is a hole in the water one throws money in.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Originally Posted by Heym06
Look at North River 21 ft , with an off shore bracket. Rivers and saltwater are covered with them on the west coast. Other makes Alumaweld, Motion Marine, Duckworth and Bolton come to mind.

I would really love to do this...
but;

All of the N.W, semi custom boats are too rich for my blood. It's been more than 30 years since I owned a powerboat and I'm considering a used cheapy to re-learn on. I'd rather make my mistakes with a $5,000 boat than a $30,000 retirement toy.

And I do believe I can buy a decent Boat/Motor/Trailer combination from alumacarft or crestliner for well under the hull price for the semi customs. A straight up money issue,for me...
Posted By: horse1 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Avoid Crestliner at all costs. Their boats are very nice to fish out of, great floor-plan layouts etc but, the company itself is truly awful to deal with if you have a problem.

I owned a 2006 1850 Crestliner Fishhawk with a factory pre-rigged 150HP Suzuki 4-stroke from brand new in May of '06 until last Saturday 6/20/15. Late last summer (Mid-August) I noticed a couple of cracks in the welds along the transom. That was the last time I had it in the water. Late Nov comes along, time to put the boat in storage, but, let's get those cracks fixed 1st. I knew a guy @ the local dealership and he gave me the phone number for Crestliner customer service. I called them up and they wanted NOTHING to do with me direct, they only wanted to deal with a dealer. The local dealer (Ray's, Moorhead MN) are good folks, but, I bought from a dealer that's no longer in business and I don't think Ray's should have to deal with this, they didn't make any $$ on it and I'm sure have better things to do than worry about a boat they didn't sell. Ray's removed my motor and hauled it down to New York Mills for me at no charge. So far so good. Boat sits in NYM from Dec until mid-March, which is fine, I wasn't using it and they weren't charging for storage. This is the only winter my boat's ever been outside. I've stored it indoors since I bought it. Anyway, the cracked welds get fixed under warrantee no questions asked and on the approximate timeline. I'm only ~85mi from the factory so when it was finished I picked it up and pulled it to the dealer to have the motor re-hung, and that's when the real trouble started.

Local dealer goes to hang the motor on a week later and calls me, "We can't hang the motor or, your transom wood is rotten and we're crushing the hull when we tighten the mounting bolts." Well, that's inconvenient, but, I figure it's just 1 more phone call and surely Crestliner would be interested in having my boat fixed properly the 2nd time, and hopefully more quickly than 3mo. Nope, Crestliner doesn't warrantee wood. Now, as I said, the boat is stored indoors all the time except for the days I fish. I take the tarp off when in the garage and often run a fan to get things dried out. Surely someone at Crestliner will see that there are no soft spots in my entire boat floor and realize that I either got a bad piece of wood, or some other unforeseen issue caused the rot. NOPE!!

Without seeing my boat again they told me, "Your motor wasn't pre-rigged and your dealer didn't seal up the holes well enough." Was the 1st story I got. But that was incorrect, as my boat is a Pre-Brunswick model and it indeed was factory pre-rigged, I know because I filled out the order form myself. So I pointed that out and if they believed the un-sealed holes was the problem, it was their doing. Next story was, "Well, I can see that your motor's been moved, whomever moved it didn't seal it back up and that's what caused the leak that in turn caused the rot." That was also incorrect. I had my boat back to Crestliner in '07 or '08 (don't recall which) to have the hull rockered due to too much "hook" in the hull. So again, if the mounting bolt holes weren't sealed, that should be Crestliner's responsibility. Then communication stopped for 2wks. So, I started calling, and calling, and calling, and callling................During the 1st 6 weeks of trying to figure out what caused the rot and should it be warrantee or not, there were only 2 times that my calls were returned and information conveyed when Crestliner said they would. Once was the 1st time the interim manager of customer service called me to say he was looking into things, and the 2nd was a conference call with the President of Crestliner. Other than those 2 calls, I had to HOUND them for information.

So, they schedule to have my boat returned to NYM to have the engineers and the President look at it to determine the cause of the rot. I shuffle my schedule so that I can be there on that day. But, Crestliner, again failed to communicate and the dealer didn't have my boat ready to travel. So another week goes by (it's up to 7 weeks now) until my boat gets down to NYM and the next week I cannot be down there when they "inspect it". I finally got a call back from the interim manager of Customer Service and he tells me that due to the age of my boat they don't see any reason to warantee my boat but due to my persistence they'd "only" charge me $2,000. That's the decision that's come down from the President and that's my only option.

So to re-cap, a boat that's been used for 8 seasons, stored indoors all but the 30-40 days/summer I fish with it, has no soft spots in the floor and no other damage or modifications somehow had a transom rot problem and Crestliner wouldn't stand behind it.
Posted By: Bobber257 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Ain’t that the truth.🙄
Originally Posted by Bobber257

Ain’t that the truth.🙄

Assuming that your money is going into a hole one way or the other, which way has the best and most rewards? This also is open for discussion in this thread...
Posted By: mirage243 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20

I'm the hole in the water that catches the money, 30 plus years in the business. 😂😂
The trouble with boats is that they are like coats: You need a different one for different occasions. No one boat can do it all. In my neck of the woods, a Carolina Skiff-style boat is a good all round choice. I would think that you will want something other than tiller steering.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Originally Posted by johnw

Ain’t that the truth.🙄

Assuming that your money is going into a hole one way or the other, which way has the best and most rewards? This also is open for discussion in this thread...

I spend far more money on fishing / boating than a do hunting during any given year. That is where my passion lies.

I have seen people drop THOUSANDS of dollars on a new rifle....and THOUSANDS to attend a week long hunt states away....that is their passion and they are entitled to spend their money as they choose.

Boats, like fine rifles, fast cars and exotic hunts, also require money to maintain them and enjoy them. And regular use in saltwater also adds its own layer of maintenance to a boat / trailer.

Regardless of your passion, you have to pay to play. No exceptions.
Originally Posted by horse1
Avoid Crestliner at all costs. Their boats are very nice to fish out of, great floor-plan layouts etc but, the company itself is truly awful to deal with if you have a problem.

I read through your posted quote, Horse. I've yet to see you post much good about anything here.

And I refer to your comments made this last fall on Wisconsin and the residents thereof.

If you go through your day and meet an [bleep], well, you met an [bleep].
If you go through your day and meet nothing but [bleep], well, guess what?

Good luck with your crestliner anyway...
Originally Posted by Mike70560
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.

these guys all fish and hunt from their boats. And a tiller frees up a lot of room in the boat for moving around and carrying decoys and other toys.
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Like i said I understand the room thing.

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20

I read through your posted quote, Horse. I've yet to see you post much good about anything here.

And I refer to your comments made this last fall on Wisconsin and the residents thereof.

His post helped me when I was seriously considering a Crestliner. It made me do some research on line about possible transom issues. After digging into it, I insisted on a thorough inspection of the wood transom in the boat I was looking at. Sure enough, that boat had the spray-in foam that went right up to the transom. As water got into the storage compartments in the rear of the boat, it migrated back to the transom and the foam kept it against the wood. The extremely low hour boat I was considering already had signs of transom issues. I bought a G3 from a 'Campfire member and find it to be a better made boat.

My last boat was tiller steer and you can't deny it has some advantages. It comes down to personal preference but so far I'm enjoying having a side console boat even though it takes up space.
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.

Each area seems to have their own features in boating that become popular. Tillers are common on the AL gulf coast but mostly on the smaller jon boat type rigs. Once you start getting into the 16ft and up range, steering becomes the norm. If you are looking for a 19-20ft class rig as you say later in your post, I would definitely recommend a helm with steering...and because of your shoulder issues, I would also recommend you look into hydraulic steering.

And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As as I suggested above, if you go with a console steering outfitted boat, you will be sitting a bit more forward than a tiller orientation. This, along with appropriately loading the boat will head off any issues with planing...such as putting your loaded cooler and tackle in the front of the cockpit or forward hatches. Worse case scenario, you could add trim tabs. While not that common on the sub-20ft inshore boats, they are still pretty popular just because they help with load management and much shorter plane distance when you are in shallow waters.

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ??

As one of the responders in that thread, I will also chime in here and say that you will have no problem with an aluminum boat on the gulf coast as long as you mind the heat that comes with them during the summer.

Also, you don't really mention budget on the boat you are looking for. If you are buying new (or just a couple of years old), there are PLENTY of options. If you are buying something older (10+ years) I would say that you should keep an eye out for Kenners and some of the smaller Makos if you stick with glass. For aluminum, G3, Alumaweld, Express and a handful of others all have good inshore options that should appeal.
Posted By: Snyper Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
My favorite boat was an Atlantic 17 ft Tri-hull center console with a 60 HP engine.

It would float in 12" of water and could handle 6 foot waves.

I used it in salt water, lakes, rivers and small creeks.

It had lots of room and was very stable and would run around 35 MPH.

The trailer had rollers so it was easy to launch and retrieve by myself without submerging the wheel hubs.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
You don’t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. You’ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas 😂
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

Mike,
Any special handling issues with the tiller on that 90? I've got a 70 on a 17' CC that I was thinking about converting to a tiller, but I am a little concerned about how it is going to handle, particularly in turns.
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Mike,
Any special handling issues with the tiller on that 90? I've got a 70 on a 17' CC that I was thinking about converting to a tiller, but I am a little concerned about how it is going to handle, particularly in turns.

Depending on the model, it's around 1500ish to convert from remote to tiller steering. Sell what you have and buy a tiller usually makes more sense.

Kinda hard to go boating without one though.

I enjoy the hell out of mine. While everyone else is sitting in front of the TV on their day off next to a wife that hates them I’m fishing or sitting with friends on the beach of a barrier island drinking a beer. You can’t put a price on times like that.
Mike 70560,

Great that you take your "pets" for a boat ride...
Originally Posted by CEoW717
You don’t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. You’ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas 😂

when we going fishing, buddy?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20

Probably walleye and northern fishermen. Boat control is better for jigging and such. I like a steering wheel and a cover, especially when it's raining and snowing! Makes for more pleasurable days.

You in Wisconsin often?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I enjoy the hell out of mine. While everyone else is sitting in front of the TV on their day off next to a wife that hates them I’m fishing or sitting with friends on the beach of a barrier island drinking a beer. You can’t put a price on times like that.

I have a boat. I’m speaking from experience. They are far cheaper than horses, however.

You in Wisconsin often?

Daugher and her family live about 3 miles from indian ford

Probably walleye and northern fishermen. Boat control is better for jigging and such. I like a steering wheel and a cover, especially when it's raining and snowing! Makes for more pleasurable days.

Bingo on the walleye for 2 of these guys.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I have a boat. I’m speaking from experience. They are far cheaper than horses, however.

Yeah, I've got both and will agree with that...
Thanks to jgray and mike 70560 but this thread needs more pics...
Posted By: slumlord Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Me and ol renegade need to get us a boat to up our game on the arrowhead program.

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?
All of the brands mentioned make good boats. On the tiller thing...I'd just get a console with a steering wheel. The only reason I can see for tiller steering is cost cutting. I like a full windshield...wrap-around. As far north as you are, you'll appreciate that. In the summer, your eyes will thank you.

https://www.polarkraft.com/Polar-Kr...mp;action=view_product_line&country=
And I promise...

If I buy a boat, to learn to post pics....
Posted By: hanco Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
I’m not too far from the glorious day when I get rid of my boat. I think it will be better than the day I bought it!!!!
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
All of the brands mentioned make good boats. On the tiller thing...I'd just get a console with a steering wheel. The only reason I can see for tiller steering is cost cutting. I like a full windshield...wrap-around. As far north as you are, you'll appreciate that. In the summer, your eyes will thank you.

The guys who own the boats I mentioned really aren't the cost cutting type. Guessing that the Lund mentioned, even in tiller guise, probably cost ^of $50K, although I never asked. I priced a boat Identical to the crestliner mentioned, but with fewer electronics, and it was just under $40k.

Serious fishing boats are not a cheap venture, by most reckoning...
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20

I agree with this.
Had tiller boats for 25 years. Great for fishing and boat control. But wet ride in rain and rough water.
Got a dual console boat with several styles of tops 5 years ago. Fishes fine. And yes, makes for more pleasurable days indeed.
Here's my G3. Still a little new-to-me but I'm very happy with it.
I've been wanting and intending to buy another boat for some years now. Work, and life in general have intervened but work is almost a thing of the past for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: MadMooner Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
A little 17 Boston Whaler would be great for big rivers and inshore.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Here's my G3. Still a little new-to-me but I'm very happy with it.

I think I could live with that, sockpuppet. You bought that used,you say?

Sweet deal...

Buddy.... laugh

OK.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Im in for a boat forum.

About half a dozen schit forums here that could easily go away yo make room.
Shop wisely, look closely, and take it for a test drive.
4 years, and no problems.
Really lovin the Chappie.
Volvo FI 7.4l (454ci) with Volvo Penta Duo Prop outdrive.
Just had the props reconditioned, and polished.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

OK.

Looks to be a great rig for my purposes. Which gulf is that???
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Splat...

Yer too old fer that boat...

just sayin...
Posted By: Gadfly Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
From what I've seen, the attraction of a tiller steer is more working room when trolling with multiple rods with planer boards and down riggers. If that's not the type of fishing you do a lot of, a side console or full windshield wouldn't be a hindrance. They would also give you a smoother and drier ride. With your weight, if you have back issues it would be well worth the money to get an air ride drivers seat.
johnw, I bought it used. I don't generally buy 'toys' new and I prefer to pay cash. Never say never, though.

OK.

Horseshoe Bend in Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, Northern Wyoming.
Wouldn't call it a "gulf", nearest salt water is probably Great Salt Lake in Utah.

OK.

That is indeed a great boat. Echoes the aluminum ones, but is 'glass if that's your druther.

FWIW I didn't say your buds bought theirs for cost-cutting measures, I said cost-cutting is the only advantage I can see. Maybe I'm not a serious fisherman though. The advantages you speak of would seem to be negated by the kicker motor on this Warrior boat. I really love the walk-though windshield, which is what I advocate.

OK.

Worth saying, I really LOVE the looks of that boat. Besides what I already mentioned, I like the 200 hp, the fold down top, and the wealth of electronics.
From my salt water thread...

Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Going back to inshore, which is where you will see a mix of aluminum hulls in the crowd, the biggest thing I have noticed when fishing in closer quarters, bayous and even sight casting is the noise is much more difficult to overcome in an aluminum boat. My father fished an 18ft Alumaweld modified v-hull for about a decade. I ran a 20ft Seachaser Flats for about half that time. We both loved fishing the bayous and oyster flats for specs / reds. As soon as I bought my boat and we had some overlap fishing together on each boat, it was obvious how much quieter the fiberglass hull was. Not just noise inside the boat (setting stuff down, accidentally dropping something, stepping up / down from decks) but the constant lapping of water against the hull made SO much more noise against the aluminum hull than the fiberglass hull.

And as MadMooner stated, aluminum is a great heat conductor when the Gulf Coast sun has been beating directly down on it all day. We learned real quick in dad's Alumaweld that you didn't sit down on the bare aluminum in the spring or summer without a cushion under your azz.

Now, get north of the coast just a little bit and the duck hunting crowd will start to offset the trends a bit....they love their aluminum boats and gator tail / mud devil motors.

War Eagle, and others...

When boats gather up on fishing hotspots like perdido pass does the noise caused by an aluminum boat ever cause friction with others fishing in close proximity?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20

Ain’t that the truth.🙄

A boat, like any other vain possession, is what you make of it.
Originally Posted by mirage243

Mike,

Depending on the model, it's around 1500ish to convert from remote to tiller steering. Sell what you have and buy a tiller usually makes more sense.

Not asking about cost, asking about issues in handling/steering with a high HP tiller steer. Largest tiller I've had was a 50.

I sold the Crestliner to a friend who was fully informed of all the issues.

There's plenty of stuff I like and speak positively about. Winchester, McMillan, Nightforce, Dillion, Forster, Barnes, Hornady, Beretta shotguns, blah, blah, blah. I very rarely have any issue with retailers or manufacturers either. Crestliner is a glaring exception.

By all means, go ahead and buy yourself a Crestliner if that's what you like. Like I said, I enjoyed fishing out of mine, until I didn't.

I'm not, nor have I ever been a "Tiller Guy". There are times and places on tight structure where nothing has the control that a tiller will give you. That said, bow mount electric motors have become VERY good. Lots of thrust and plenty of shaft length to be out in most fishable weather. I'm currently running an 18.5' 186 Yar Craft and if the wind is such that my 60" shaft 80# thrust bow mount electric motor isn't enough, I can augment thrust with 9.9 kicker, or, more likely, I'm headed for the Hammock on shore and a nap.

OK.

Horseshoe Bend in Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area, Northern Wyoming.
Wouldn't call it a "gulf", nearest salt water is probably Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Ahhh...

The Gulf of Wyoming...
wink
OK thanks...

Considering all of my options, and the fun is in the plans.

But I will keep your cautionary note in mind...
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Splat...

Yer too old fer that boat...

just sayin...

More pics please Splat...

Should have explained in the OP that I also dream of cruising to South America and the island chains leading down towards Venezuela. If I'm gonna dream I might as well dream big....
Posted By: hanco Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
Here is my old boat. It has a 350 Volvo

OK.

Love that Suzi hung on the back. I had an EFI 4-stroke 150HP Suzi on my Crestliner that was positively flawless for just under 400hrs for me and is north of 500hrs now with nothing more that fluid and fuel filter changes.

Current boat has a 200 4-stroke 3.3L V-6 Yamaha with a bit over 300hrs and it's also been a peach. Change fluids and fuel filter 1x/yr and that's it.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
I’ve been guiding for almost 50 years—owned some nice boats—mostly tillers. Most guides I know are adamant about tillers. It does keep everything in front of you and under control.

A few years ago ago I came across a side console 17ft crestliner with 115hp 4-cycle Merc. Really good price—loved the motor—hated the boat—But—i would never go back to a tiller. Wrap around windshield is really nice.

I got into Pontoon boats a few years ago and wish i had of got into them 30 years ago. I was always dubious about how they handle rough water—needless to say I was wrong. I’m talking Lake Nipigon and Lake Superior here. Big Water can come up fast. I got a 25fter with a Honda 90 (wish I’d got the 150) and have not missed a days fishing due to high seas yet. Plus I can put on 2 or 3 more fishermen—double the income for no more expense.

You can get into a 25ft tri-tube with 150 for about $40,000 new—can’t do that with a Crestliner or Lund.

Mike,

Not asking about cost, asking about issues in handling/steering with a high HP tiller steer. Largest tiller I've had was a 50.

You have more leverage with a tiller than you have with rotary or single rack steering, not as much as hydraulic though. I can't imagine that you'd have hydraulic or dual rack with a 70 horse power motor. Handling issues would be the same, the gearcase doesn't know if you're steering with tiller or remote, boat would handle the same. FWIW, I've seen 200 hp tiller motors before.

You in Wisconsin often?

Daugher and her family live about 3 miles from indian ford

My flat bottom loves the Rock and Kosh.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I’ve been guiding for almost 50 years—owned some nice boats—mostly tillers. Most guides I know are adamant about tillers. It does keep everything in front of you and under control.

A few years ago ago I came across a side console 17ft crestliner with 115hp 4-cycle Merc. Really good price—loved the motor—hated the boat—But—i would never go back to a tiller. Wrap around windshield is really nice.

I got into Pontoon boats a few years ago and wish i had of got into them 30 years ago. I was always dubious about how they handle rough water—needless to say I was wrong. I’m talking Lake Nipigon and Lake Superior here. Big Water can come up fast. I got a 25fter with a Honda 90 (wish I’d got the 150) and have not missed a days fishing due to high seas yet. Plus I can put on 2 or 3 more fishermen—double the income for no more expense.

You can get into a 25ft tri-tube with 150 for about $40,000 new—can’t do that with a Crestliner or Lund.

Friend of a friend has a full canvas set for the cockpit of his pontoon. Then he cut holes out of the floor and will sit inside the canvas with a buddy heater going using short ice-fishing rods through the floor of the pontoon.
Work is slow....I'm bored...I'm getting in on the pics. Some of these are boat specific, all are fishing / water related. Sorry if I go overboard or derail. These are mainly just what I have on my computer here at work.

John, maybe these will give you an idea of what the AL gulf coast has to offer.

The first boat I ever "owned" was a 15ft Monarch flat bottom jon boat with a 40hp Evinrude tiller outboard that was given to me when I was 15yrs old. Untold quantities of bass, bluegills, specs and reds have been caught in that little boat. Still have it too. Haven't used in a couple years since someone stole the outboard and I just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. No good picture of the boat on hand but here is one of some of the fish I caught in it...the bow on that boat makes a great fillet table platform!

[Linked Image]

The first boat I ever bought was a 21ft Answer Cuddy Cabin.

[Linked Image]

Some fishing on that boat in the mouth of the Mobile Bay with my father.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After a few years with that one, I decided to "upgrade" to something a little more tailored specifically to shallow water and bayou fishing. This was a SeaChaser 20ft Flats Skiff. LOVED that boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even took my (now) wife on our first date in that boat...and did it right by getting her hooked up with some good reds.

[Linked Image]
After some "he-ing and she-ing" we found out that we had a baby on the way. I freaked out and went into financial crunch mode and shed a lot of "unnecessary" debt...which also meant the SeaChaser went down the road as a means to get rid of the note. I didn't last long before I NEEDED another boat though. I decided to buy cheap and ended up with this jalopy...still not sure what it was...but I got it titled as something and went fishing.

[Linked Image]

We used this boat to rat around Mobile Bay, the Mississippi Sound and all over Dauphin Island. We end up on the beach a lot just so the wife and daughter can play in the water when it gets hot.

Caught this guy on a piece of squid while fishing for white trout in the MS sound.

[Linked Image]

This dude was right on the beach and I caught him in my cast net (accidentally) while trying to net mullet...Sheepshead and a cast net makes for a tangled mess!

[Linked Image]

Pod of cow nose rays swimming past while we were chilling on the beach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My dad's preferred saltwater boat for some time has been this Triton 20ft Sea Flight. Great boat. Good sea handling capabilities but still good maneuverability in shallower water and bayous.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I eventually broke the jalopy and we upgraded to an old SeaBird that we decided to sorta restore. And with a slightly larger boat came slightly longer trips to new territory. But we still stop on the beach after running back in from offshore...and I usually go do some surf fishing for whiting while the gals play in the water.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here are some more randoms....including a buddy who came for a visit from Oregon. We were running to a new spot and came upon some busting fish. Thinking they were slot reds, I handed him a 12lb spinning rig....they turned out to be 15-20lb class jack crevalle. After a 20 minute fight, he finally got his pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exceptionally good water day in the sound....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It does suck when these guys show up in late summer....but in this case, we were mesmerized by how clear the water was and thought it was amazing to see this many of them with 20ft of visibility.

[Linked Image]

Netting mullet for bait

[Linked Image]

Someone at the ramp has a sense of humor

[Linked Image]

And just for the heck of it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/06/20
The extra room in a tiller is the only advantage. Wet ride in wind. Hit a stump your shoulder will sure know it. I'm on over 30 years of fishing tiller boats from the gulf of Mexico to sakakawea and even the windy lake you can walk across (koshkanong). I'm done. Walk through for me next time. Check walleye central classifieds. More good fishing boat options than you can imagine on there. Also check out tuffy for a good semi affordable glass boat. Iced had 2 and they are great at half the cost of skeeters or rangers.

Mike,

Mine is easy to drive. Without the hydraulic jack plate it would be difficult. Depending on load and speed a minor height adjustment makes a big difference. It is on a 20 ft bateaux that I built.

My buddy has hydraulic assist on his 150 tiller. The throttle and steering is the same as mine but as you put pressure to steer a sensor activates the hydraulics.
There are guys that are into cars or motorcycles or planes or a myriad of other toys for fun but I’m a boat guy. I love boats, fishing and the general solitude of exploring hidden bays, cruising inlets and throwing the hook out in a place that makes you feel as if you’re the first person to lay eyes on such unblemished beauty. Southeast Alaska is a boaters playground unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. Despite my love of fishing I hate crowds and I detest “combat fishing” which means that a boat is a necessity.

The “right” boat for one type of fishing is the wrong boat for other types of fishing. Saltwater fishing in the PNW and Alaska sees all types of materials used in boat building but Aluminum boats are the most popular around here. They’re generally lighter than a glass boat of the same size and “style” and don’t require as much horsepower to get up on step thereby saving money in the initial cost of the motor (outboards) and over time you’ll see a significant savings in fuel costs. Aluminum boats are lighter than their glass counterparts making towing, launching and recovering easier for an older couple to do by themselves.

As for the tiller versus a ‘console” dilemma, that’s a choice of personal preference, the type of fishing, the water you plan on fishing (river, bay, ocean, etc) boat size and motor size. I’ve got buddies that are running 24’ Alumawelds and Duckworths with 200hp outboards and jet lowers. For fishing rivers in a sled the tiller is the preferred method. Personally I prefer a console and really don’t like tiller steering on anything larger than a skiff. I like having a warm and weatherproof cabin, hot coffee and a place to take a nap while waiting for the weather to pass or the tide to change. Making breakfast while trolling is a nice perk as is BBQ’ing freshly caught salmon, halibut, lingcod, spot prawns, etc all the while continuing to fish. Having to set your plate down so you can fight and land a nice King Salmon makes those kinds of days unforgettable. Having some of the basic comforts available onboard also makes it more pleasant for the less intense fisher-people in your life. I want my boat to be as comfortable as possible because I want my wife to enjoy our time rather than to merely endure it for my sake.

If you’re in the market for a boat determine what you’ll be primarily using the boat for, what conveniences you want for yourself and your fishing companions and then narrow it down from there. Once you’ve narrowed your choices down you should arrange some “test drives” in both glass and aluminum as well as with tillers and consoles. Buy what you’re most comfortable in and what you’re most comfortable operating.

Good luck and I hope you post pictures with whatever you decide to go with. 👍
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
The extra room in a tiller is the only advantage. Wet ride in wind. Hit a stump your shoulder will sure know it. I'm on over 30 years of fishing tiller boats from the gulf of Mexico to sakakawea and even the windy lake you can walk across (koshkanong). I'm done. Walk through for me next time. Check walleye central classifieds. More good fishing boat options than you can imagine on there. Also check out tuffy for a good semi affordable glass boat. Iced had 2 and they are great at half the cost of skeeters or rangers.

You’ve fished Kosh?
Posted By: Morewood Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Lots of great advice and insights above. I think it all boils down to what style of boat you like and what works best for what you intend to do with it. Personally, I like aluminum boats for durability and I like a windshield for those cold winter morning runs or to keep the skeeters out of your teeth and eyeballs when heading back to the dock at dusk in the summer. I mostly fish rivers and lakes, in fact I went fishing this morning on the Sacramento.

For my retirement years I bought a used 16' Alumaweld with a 40 hp 4-stroke Merc. Removable canopy and a trolling motor.

I'll have to take pics on the water. This is the only one I have right now
Posted By: JGray Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20

OK.

Very nice! I gave up a Ranger 620 decked out for Walleye going through a divorce prior to buying the Allison. I miss that boat...
Loving this thread. Especially the photos.

War Eagle, Great Pics, and what a lovely little tyke you have there. Give her an extra hug from Idaho tonight.

I have been boat shopping also for a year or so. I am looking for something I can put into a skinny river, or a reservoir, or occasionally the Snake R or Clearwater R in Idaho. But I do not intend to run any white water.

My Son in Law just parked a 24 foot Weldcraft W/ a hard top out back. The hull is a bit older, But the jet was just rebuilt and the 460 Ford has two hours on the clock. But just WOW. That thing is huge! Three axles on the trailer, and a full eight foot beam. The SIL got wet in the Snake River last weekend. He said the cab heater is a hell of a nice thing to have.

Yes, I am pretty sure I do not want to go any more than 20 to 21 foot. 350 Chevy or 351 Ford w/ a Hamilton pump.
Professional river guide tells me Mercury Sport Jets like to grenade at 1000 hrs. Automotive engines weigh a bit more for the HP, but are more dependable.

Yes any boat is a compromise between varying conditions. The Weldcraft out back with ten degree deadrise will lift its nose well over a roller in a steep river. But she is going to hammer the hell out of the passengers hitting swells at speed on a big lake or the ocean

I watch what come across Craigslist and there are a few river jet boats out there with thirty year old hulls but less than 300 hrs on the engine for around 20K. Almar, North River, Alumaweld, Weldcraft, Duckworth. If an Aluminum hull has not been hammered on the rocks or beat too hard in the river canyons, thirty years old is as good as a new one.

Aluminum vs glass. If you scratch an aluminum hull, you have a scratched hull. If you scratch a glass hull, you risk water intrusion and rot.
Originally Posted by kkahmann

One of the catfish legends lives near me and he uses a 20ft pro V Lund with a 250 Verado.. they have a power steer handle you can use a finger to steer with.

I personally got a Lund Alaskan 1800... because I couldn’t fit one like that in my garage...
Posted By: krp Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

My latest project, I still have my bass boat but always wanted a Boston whaler, I'll eventually set it up for Baja and inshore out of San Diego and Long beach.

Kent
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Kent, cool boat! I dig the liquor bottle holder in the seat back. Suppose you can call that a 'wet bar'? smile
I forgot that we were posting fish pictures, too. I try to leave mine in the lake where they're safe and secure smile

Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Some awesome pics guys.

War Eagle wins n several categories...
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Here are some more randoms....including a buddy who came for a visit from Oregon. We were running to a new spot and came upon some busting fish. Thinking they were slot reds, I handed him a 12lb spinning rig....they turned out to be 15-20lb class jack crevalle. After a 20 minute fight, he finally got his pic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It does suck when these guys show up in late summer....but in this case, we were mesmerized by how clear the water was and thought it was amazing to see this many of them with 20ft of visibility.

[Linked Image]

Netting mullet for bait

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man WarEagle, That Seabird is KILLER! My Dad had one when we were younger and I wished he would have kept it and given me a shot at restoring it. What a GREAT boat. If you ever consider selling it, please keep me in mind as I’d love to have one. Currently I’m restoring a 1978 21B Mako, which should be ready to splash hopefully before the end on the Summer. Great pics as well.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
18' Lund...too small

20' Trophy walk-around...still too small, but I've had it for 29 years and can't part with it, been a great boat!

21' Cuddy/IO...no deck room for fishing

7'...and totally lost...can't find the water

20'...Just good as a cocktail-cruiser
22 1/2' Walk-around. It's as big as I care to haul around, but Woody and the wife like it. It's great to fish out of, good weather or bad, and it hits 42 mph when needed.

I actually catch more fish out of my tin boat. whistle

Posted By: NVhntr Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Hey Safari there isn't enough water in this dry old desert Nevada for a guy to have that many boats! smile
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Hey Safari there isn't enough water in this dry old desert Nevada for a guy to have that many boats! smile

Half of them have gone to the Big Swamp of Craigslist. I have two more that didn't get photographed. I'm 15 minutes from the boat launch at Lahontan and 45 minutes from Pyramid Lake.

So I'm a hoarder. So what!? laugh
Posted By: FishinHank Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
I love my crestliner. 18' Kodiak

This is what it looks like with the seats in.

When I troll I burn .2gal/hr. I have a 60hp Mercury with the Command Thrust lower unit.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Ok, here's mine.
19' Starcraft was a great fishing/family boat, but I learned I didn't like carpeted deck.

Lake Mead

Colorado River in the lower Grand Canyon

Caught a few fish and had lots of family fun.

But once the kids grew up I decided I needed something smaller I could handle better alone. Now I have a 15' modified jon with a 15 horse four stroke. It fits my needs. I'll have to get a pic up if I can get the junk cleaned off of it. It sits in the garage and becomes a catch all in the winter.
I always thought a small Mako or Boston Whaler like KRP has would be about perfect.
Originally Posted by FishinHank

When I troll I burn .2gal/hr. I have a 60hp Mercury with the Command Thrust lower unit.

THAT has serious fishing oozing out of all that deck space! Rates a definite two-cool...

cool cool
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Ok, here's mine.
Starcraft was a great fishing/family boat, but I learned I didn't like carpeted deck.

Lake Mead

Colorado River in the lower Grand Canyon

Caught a few fish and had lots of family fun.

But once the kids grew up I decided I needed something smaller I could handle better alone. Now I have a 15' modified jon with a 15 horse four stroke. It fits my needs. I'll have to get a pic up if I can get the junk cleaned off of it. It sits in the garage and becomes a catch all in the winter.
I always thought a small Mako or Boston Whaler like KRP has would be about perfect.

Back in the day I had a Starcraft Chieftan. It was one of the best boats I've ever cruised in. You should have kept it. wink
Posted By: FishinHank Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by FishinHank

THAT has serious fishing oozing out of all that deck space! Rates a definite two-cool...

cool cool

The reason why I went with a tiller is for the deck space. I have a 4 blade prop on the motor and I can yank the tiller over on step and there is no cavitation. Its like it runs on a track.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
[Linked Image]
Shown with 3rd boat, on 5th boat now.
I never expected I would get too old for boating adventures, but it happened.
The only thing left in my future is taking my 5 year old granddaughter fishing on a 10 acre lake in a row boat.
Posted By: Nykki Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
Old 24ft Grayling inbound jet, I don't run in the saltwater but it works very well on the lakes and rivers here. Not so good on fuel with a 460 Ford for power but it will run ankle deep water on step.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
It is a little difficult to find a landing to launch but has plenty of room for fishing

22 1/2' Walk-around. It's as big as I care to haul around, but Woody and the wife like it. It's great to fish out of, good weather or bad, and it hits 42 mph when needed.

I dig that one! Your Lund is a damned fine boat, too
Posted By: RandyR Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20

We run 20' flat bottoms on Winnebago when we net fish for the hatcheries. 90 hp motors are too small with the weight we carry and use 16' flat bottoms on the Wolf and Fox. Your style of fishing is going to be one of the biggest factors, and conditions you are willing to stay out in or be safe.

I run a 20' Skeeter and often run many miles on the Bay of Green Bay and Winnebago, it's a good hull in rough weather but would not buy another due to warranty issues. Like many, avoid anything Crestliner at all costs.

A center console Boston Whaler would be nice but you loose a lot of room when you fish out of them.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/07/20
We have a blowed up Glastron and my folks have a SmokerCraft 192 Fazer.
Looking at a 17V G3 when I get off work in the morning...

Price is right for a re-learn boat. Looks nice enough that It may do me til I'm too old to get in it.

We'll see...
Looking at a 17V G3 when I get off work in the morning...

Price is right for a re-learn boat. Looks nice enough that It may do me til I'm too old to get in it.

We'll see...

If it's got a Yamaha outboard (probably does) you can buy the software off Ebay for $60 and it will give you all kinds of information about the motor. Just confirm year and model:
Yamaha Software
Yepper,

90 yamaha

Thanks...
The g3 I'm looking at is almost identical to yours except a deep blue color. and no Bimini top...
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
How did the boat look, John?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20

A lot of hobbies are a hole to throw money in. Not sure why boats always take the rap?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
buddy is putting two more 100 gallon tanks in this one so we can run over a hundred miles out and stay 2-3 days out there.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
How did the boat look, John?

I'll never know

Edit; Guess it looked good to somebody...

The guy texted me about 8pm while I was at work and told me it was sold.

Back to craigslist...
Posted By: irfubar Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
Great timing for a boat thread, spring is right around the corner and I am gearing up for my first boat vacation of the year. Lake Powell... woohoo

As far as proper boat selection I prefer the comfort of a windshield and suspension seats for long days on the water, oh and a top to get out of the sun...and 4 stroke outboards rule!

My rig.....

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
When are you headed to Powell, 'Fubar? I'm committed to getting out there sometime this year. I haven't fished for stripers at Powell in years....
I have a line on a Crestliner 18 Canadian. Looks immaculate in pics, but is in storage for another week and can't be easily seen.

Has a 50hp 2 stroke injected Johnson, and an 8hp tohatsu. Quite well set up with accessories.

Informed opinion and thoughts?

Edited for engine HP correction. Looking at a lot of boats and it gets confusing
18' Lund...too small

How much, Bruce?
I like an aluminum boat. Here's the Hewescraft I've fished for the last 6 years. Saltwater only. It's only a 16ft. but it's deep. Yamaha 70 and 8 hp 4 strokes. Just sips the fuel.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]67419109_10214700246044671_4423379121569005568_n by Brant Lindquist, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]13595713_10154281331929687_1081350766_n by Brant Lindquist, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]13178591_10154150740574687_6297249448480694876_n%201 by Brant Lindquist, on [bleep]
Generally speaking, How widespread are 2 cycle restrictions?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
I have used these boats up here in Alaska more than any other boat I have ever owned. Great for fast shallow water.

With the lack of road access to the real Alaska these boats allow that.

Knik Glacier

Solar Inflatable Jet Boats

Great video showing the boats in NZ , Russia , and Alaska waters

https://youtu.be/RFCDQHvJcYA
Posted By: luv2safari Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
18' Lund...too small

How much, Bruce?

That was a 2002 model owned by an old guy who was in love with it. His son sold it to me out of his estate a year ago. It was just a little smaller than I like anymore at 18'. It had full enclosure canvas that had never been installed and was still in the packages in his garage, two Scotty electrics, 115 Evenrude injected system, 9.9 Evenrude 4-stroke electric start and power tilt with full helm controls and start key, Cannon remote steering, underwater TV, decent electronics, life vests, boarding pike, 2 good quality rubber mesh nets...etc. I replaced the old original tires on the trailer. I was into it a whopping $7.2 K.

It was uncomfortable for me, and a 20' walk around had spoiled me, so I Craigslisted it for $13,200.00. It sold in an hour, and I used the money to get the 22 1/2' Pro Line and had $4K left to use on the Pro Line if needed. This was about the only time in my lotsa years that I bought low and sold high. I came out good on the Pro Line too.

The Lund was a great boat, but It was just not for me anymore. The guy who bought it takes it over the hill to CA a lot and uses it on the Sacramento Delta. He's thrilled with it. He's also about 2/3 my size and fits in it much better. wink
Posted By: luv2safari Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
Originally Posted by irfubar
Great timing for a boat thread, spring is right around the corner and I am gearing up for my first boat vacation of the year. Lake Powell... woohoo

As far as proper boat selection I prefer the comfort of a windshield and suspension seats for long days on the water, oh and a top to get out of the sun...and 4 stroke outboards rule!

My rig.....

There were a lot of happy owners who had those and Duckworths in various sizes in the covered slip shed where I moored my old 20' Trophy in Idaho. I was impressed with their general quality and design.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/08/20
Generally speaking, How widespread are 2 cycle restrictions?

Kenai Peninsula in Alaska rivers and lakes most have 2 stroke restrictions.
Posted By: irfubar Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/09/20
When are you headed to Powell, 'Fubar? I'm committed to getting out there sometime this year. I haven't fished for stripers at Powell in years....

Sock,
I am headed to Powell early April and stripers are on the menu. This will be my first time at Powell and hope to do a bunch of sightseeing via boat, my 60 gal fuel tank should give me range.
Should cure my cabin fever...... wink

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/09/20
Originally Posted by irfubar

Sock,
I am headed to Powell early April and stripers are on the menu. This will be my first time at Powell and hope to do a bunch of sightseeing via boat, my 60 gal fuel tank should give me range.
Should cure my cabin fever...... wink

Nice! Let me know how you fare as I hope to make it out in May. Years ago we'd go out every summer, but the low water levels and changes on the Navajo Reservation made us look elsewhere.

Youngest daughter and I went out to a small local lake today. Only caught a few largemouths but had a great time!
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/09/20
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Netting mullet for bait

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man WarEagle, That Seabird is KILLER! My Dad had one when we were younger and I wished he would have kept it and given me a shot at restoring it. What a GREAT boat. If you ever consider selling it, please keep me in mind as I’d love to have one. Currently I’m restoring a 1978 21B Mako, which should be ready to splash hopefully before the end on the Summer. Great pics as well.

The day I part with this one may be sooner than later. It has been fun but we are looking at upsizing. I am signing paperwork to sell one of my properties tomorrow...that and the possibility of our company being awarded a new contract this summer is going to be the decision maker. If it happens, I'll try to remember to reach out to you Capt.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
I have a line on a Crestliner 18 Canadian. Looks immaculate in pics, but is in storage for another week and can't be easily seen.

Has a 50hp 2 stroke injected Johnson, and an 8hp tohatsu. Quite well set up with accessories.

Edited for engine HP correction. Looking at a lot of boats and it gets confusing

I can get a look at this boat this weekend. Is it seriously under powered with a 50 hp motor?
Posted By: FishinHank Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
Look and see what the hull is rated for. My 18ft kodiak was rated for up to a 60hp tiller or 75hp console and I maxed it out with a 4 stroke 60hp tiller. Probably wouldn't see a huge difference if it had a 50hp 2 stroke instead.
OK, thanks Hank

I see a lot of boats that are 16 1/2 to 17 1/2 or so long with bigger motors. But they are mostly a bit wider too. Just looked and this one is 79 wide with a motor max of 75hp.

I talked to the owner on the phone. He says he's a big guy too, and the boat will hit 29 mph on plane. Probably all I'll ever need.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20

I can get a look at this boat this weekend. Is it seriously under powered with a 50 hp motor?

I don't know how the Candian's transom is built, but try to take a look at it. The Fish Hawk I was seriously considering had foam that kept water against the wood transom. I consider it to be a design flaw. This was a 2011 boat with 27 hours, supposedly always covered. I passed.

I don't know how the Candian's transom is built, but try to take a look at it. The Fish Hawk I was seriously considering had foam that kept water against the wood transom. I consider it to be a design flaw. This was a 2011 boat with 27 hours, supposedly always covered. I passed.

Not positive how the canadian hulls are built but when I had my kodiak built I got the environmental protection package which included a wood free transom. Hopefully that was an option on the canadians also.
OK, thanks Hank

I see a lot of boats that are 16 1/2 to 17 1/2 or so long with bigger motors. But they are mostly a bit wider too. Just looked and this one is 79 wide with a motor max of 75hp.

I talked to the owner on the phone. He says he's a big guy too, and the boat will hit 29 mph on plane. Probably all I'll ever need.

The Kodiak is listed at 78" wide, must be the successor to the Canadian hulls. The weights are almost identical.
Posted By: JTman Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20

I have a 99' Alumacraft Trophy 189 full wind shield with a Merc 50 2 stroke and a Honda 10 hp kicker. I don't know the exact specs but my boat is pretty wide and deep and I know it will take a much larger motor. I'm not a real big guy and I can run probably 26 to 28 on flat water when I'm the only one in the boat. With another one or two people I can probably do 24. When I'm on Erie though and there are two to three foot waves that speed goes way down....I've thought about putting a bigger motor on it but then I think when I'm hitting bigger waves I don't want to be going much if any faster anyway.

If you're not looking to fly on the water I think the 50 will be plenty for you.
If I get to look at it I'll check the transom.

Sockpuppet,

Is the yellow foam just applied in those corners, or is it applied behind something else and expanded out into the corners?

Hank,

What is your transom reinforced with? Hard to imagine beating the strength/weight ratio of wood.
John, I can't answer your question about the foam. On that particular 2011 Fish Hawk 1600, there was only one small round access port where you could look at the center of the transom. The outsides were not accessible unless you started pulling things apart. As best I could tell, water got into the two small storage compartments in the rear of the boat and slowly migrated to the transom where the foam trapped it against the wood. It was a shame because that boat was really laid out well. I actually sent those pictures to Crestliner to ask their opinion and they said it wasn't an issue. Maybe/Maybe not, but it was enough for me to move along.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
You folks make me look like a piker. We have five boats, four that float. The biggest is a 14' Crestliner made by Lowe, 20 horse Merc. Son Jake has a Lund 15 Pike, 40 Honda.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
John, the first thing to concede is that you don't "need" a boat. If you did, the type of boat would be obvious. You "want" a boat. smile
Posted By: tzone Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20

You need two boats. lol

If you get a newer tiller boat, they have power steering and/or digital steering and your shoulder would be a non issue. That said, I'll take a wheel 100 times out of 100 for fishing the areas you've listed. I wouldn't use a tin boat in the gulf.

I also wouldn't get a crestliner. They're not much step above a tracker. G3 would be OK. A used Lund or Alumacraft would be a good place to start. Look for transome cracks on both models.

I've had about everything from 16' tiller up to 20' Ranger multi-species boats for tournament fishing. My current boat is a 18' Skeeter glass boat.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

That ain't no bullschit.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
That I can recall, I have never seen a Lund or similar hull in South Louisiana. I my part of the world there is Hanko, Gravois, and Scully. These are semi-custom boats with 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum bottoms and 3/16" sides. Also, there are dozens of one or two man operation boat builders in the area.

From the original post:

If I were fishing inshore coastal Louisiana I would probably have a local custom built 22' by 8' aluminum hull with at least a 250 hp four stroke and a center console. Basically this hull with a center console. It does not draw too much water and if you end up in some open rough water it can handle that also.

Hanko boats
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

The guys who own the boats I mentioned really aren't the cost cutting type. Guessing that the Lund mentioned, even in tiller guise, probably cost ^of $50K, although I never asked. I priced a boat Identical to the crestliner mentioned, but with fewer electronics, and it was just under $40k.

Serious fishing boats are not a cheap venture, by most reckoning...

Don't let them talk you into the 12" and 14" graphs. Yep, they're awesome. Nope, you sure don't need them. lol. They'll add $4-7K to the cost of your boat in a hurry. It sounds like you're looking for comfort with fishability. A side console sounds like your type of boat. Walleyes sound like your game since you're in WI and going to fish the river. A Lund Impact, used pro-v, and Alumacraft Competitor is a great boat. The G3 Angler series are well built too.

OK.

Now that's a F'n boat!
Posted By: Teal Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
I'm partial to side console - not full across, aluminum boats. Alumnacraft has done us well in WI/MI fishing bass on Sturgeon Bay, muskies, walleye etc all over the place.

Where I live now - all salmon guys so bigger, converted cruisers - probably not what you're looking for.

Only thing I ever really wish we had on the boats - Talon or Pole type anchor.

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

I already have a 225hp OptiMax, I need to put about $1000 in the trailer, $3000 upgrading the boat, and about $2500 in electronic I will be under $10,000 for a very nice Grady White. I just need to finish changing a cylinder on my airboat engine, move my houseboat from the hunting lease to my summertime location, re-prop my bateaux for a little better performance, rebuild the outdrive on the super go devil, find the key my 3 year grandson took out of my bass boat ignition.... too many damn boats.

On an 18'? Yes.
Originally Posted by tzone

I also wouldn't get a crestliner. They're not much step above a tracker. G3 would be OK. A used Lund or Alumacraft would be a good place to start. Look for transome cracks on both models.

I looked at Lunds but a riveted hull is a no go for me. Plenty of people in AK have Lunds and almost every single one of them leak through the rivets. If you are somewhere that doesn't get much weather they might be ok, for a while.

I've had mine completely airborne and none of the welds popped. If money was no issue I would have gotten a Pacific Skiff, built like tanks but heavy. If I get beached on a tide I can still manage to get it back to the water by myself.
I have seen so many leaky crestliners in tournaments that it's crazy. Trackers too. Wouldn't own either one on a bet. Lund and Ranger have been by far my favorite boats. Both in quality and how things are thought out and put in the boat. So far the Skeeter is OK. Time will tell.
Gotta make sure there's room for extra 'passengers', too. Youngest daughter wanted to take her dog on Saturday. We actually had a largemouth launch itself out of the livewell when the kid was looking at it; made for a little entertainment with the dog!

Originally Posted by ltppowell
John, the first thing to concede is that you don't "need" a boat. If you did, the type of boat would be obvious. You "want" a boat. smile

Bingo...

And the dumb questions have only begun. You guys might find out how truly ignorant I really am

Bingo...

And the dumb questions have only begun. You guys might find out how truly ignorant I really am

Ya gotta start somewhere.

You can never have too much storage. Some is a lot drier than others. and a Fish 'n Ski, is not good at either one.
You need it for, uh, fishing and stuff
This thread needs more pics! lol
Posted By: stxhunter Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
fishing machine.
new top on it. i help Brian with a lot of the work.

when he first got it, first trip out in it.

Gotta make sure there's room for extra 'passengers', too. Youngest daughter wanted to take her dog on Saturday. We actually had a largemouth launch itself out of the livewell when the kid was looking at it; made for a little entertainment with the dog!

Beagles rule!!!

Beagles, babes, and boats...

Seems like you're doing OK...

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

Mike,

Can you give the short version description of what that transom needs done? I've done a bit of minor fiberglass repair work, but building a transom sounds like a big project, to me.

And how old is the boat, and why did the transom go bad,if you know? Lack of care? Hard use and abuse? ???

I know everything can fail, and eventually will. I don't read about a lot of failures with Grady White. Do these boats have their own grave yard?

I already have a 225hp OptiMax, I need to put about $1000 in the trailer, $3000 upgrading the boat, and about $2500 in electronic I will be under $10,000 for a very nice Grady White. I just need to finish changing a cylinder on my airboat engine, move my houseboat from the hunting lease to my summertime location, re-prop my bateaux for a little better performance, rebuild the outdrive on the super go devil, find the key my 3 year grandson took out of my bass boat ignition.... too many damn boats.

Are you going to pop the cap off to redo the transom?
After some "he-ing and she-ing" we found out that we had a baby on the way. I freaked out and went into financial crunch mode and shed a lot of "unnecessary" debt...which also meant the SeaChaser went down the road as a means to get rid of the note. I didn't last long before I NEEDED another boat though. I decided to buy cheap and ended up with this jalopy...still not sure what it was...but I got it titled as something and went fishing.

[Linked Image]

We used this boat to rat around Mobile Bay, the Mississippi Sound and all over Dauphin Island. We end up on the beach a lot just so the wife and daughter can play in the water when it gets hot.

Caught this guy on a piece of squid while fishing for white trout in the MS sound.

[Linked Image]

This dude was right on the beach and I caught him in my cast net (accidentally) while trying to net mullet...Sheepshead and a cast net makes for a tangled mess!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

War Eagle... or somebody

Please identify the fish in your pics.

What about the one with the gal standing? long dark fish with lateral stripe?
The vertical striped fish is a sheepshead
The next several are what we call speckled trout aka spotted seatrout
The last big fish is a lemon fish aka cobia aka ling
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not planning to pull the cap, that is the professional way to do it.

I will either cut the fiberglass on top of the transom and use a chainsaw (yes chainsaw) to reach in and remove the rotten wood, make certain it is dry, and fill it with resin and matting, basically ending up with a solid fiberglass transom. I will cap it off with an aluminum plate for additional strength.

The better way to do it is to remove most of the exterior of the transom, completely clean everything, start laying fiberglass, matting, wood, as needed. It is a lot of work but would look good if done properly. Years back we ran fiberglass airboats so I learned at an early age how to perform fiberglass work, but this is a big job.

JohnW

This is a common problem for a lot of older boats. Water will leak in through the bolt holes for mounting the engine and rot the wood in transom. In general Grady Whites are good boats. This one is a new hull design, I think it was built around 1995.

This guy makes it look easy

Beagles, babes, and boats...

Seems like you're doing OK...

Haha, while the mutant beagle is ours, the babe is not mine (stole that pic off the interwebs). I don't think the wife would approve if I caught one of those and brought it home. Unless she was a hard worker, maybe... smile
Posted By: ltppowell Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/10/20
I'm sure there are some professional fishermen in your area. Look at what they use and why. I'm not talking about tournament fishermen...those guys are just emulating the sponsored guys. Look at what the guides and commercial fishermen are using. There is a reason they are using it.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not planning to pull the cap, that is the professional way to do it.

I will either cut the fiberglass on top of the transom and use a chainsaw (yes chainsaw) to reach in and remove the rotten wood, make certain it is dry, and fill it with resin and matting, basically ending up with a solid fiberglass transom. I will cap it off with an aluminum plate for additional strength.

The better way to do it is to remove most of the exterior of the transom, completely clean everything, start laying fiberglass, matting, wood, as needed. It is a lot of work but would look good if done properly. Years back we ran fiberglass airboats so I learned at an early age how to perform fiberglass work, but this is a big job.

JohnW

This is a common problem for a lot of older boats. Water will leak in through the bolt holes for mounting the engine and rot the wood in transom. In general Grady Whites are good boats. This one is a new hull design, I think it was built around 1995.

This guy makes it look easy

That was a common problem with Grady's. Do you have any idea what condition the deck and stringers are in? If they are good, when you are done you will have one sweet boat for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I really enjoy my dual console. The wife does too, and that matters.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
There are no soft spots on the deck. I am trying not to think about the stringers.....:

I had a partner in a 27’ Boston Whaler that we sold last year. We sold the boat and trailer but each kept an engine.

The Whaler was a big boat 10’ beam and 34 ft from pulpit to back of the motors. My partner and me to some degree lost interest in fishing offshore.

The Grady will be good for specks, redfish, crabbing at Marsh Island, and an occasional trip offshore maybe and not too far out.

Miss the Sea Dog

Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

War Eagle... or somebody

Please identify the fish in your pics.

What about the one with the gal standing? long dark fish with lateral stripe?

Pics in order...
Boat at the beach
Looks like a young Loggerhead or Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle (need to see the shell and head a little better)
Sheepshead
Cow nosed rays
Spotted sea trout
Boat at the beach
Two spotted sea trout (gators)
Spanish mackerel
Another spotted sea trout (gator)
Last but not least, Cobia...

What do I win...😉😂

Posted By: stxhunter Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20

Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
OK Roger

What kind of fish are those?

I suspect the chunky one is a tuna?
I'm sure there are some professional fishermen in your area. Look at what they use and why. I'm not talking about tournament fishermen...those guys are just emulating the sponsored guys. Look at what the guides and commercial fishermen are using. There is a reason they are using it.

I know a couple of guys who guide. They use 16 or 18 foot flat bottoms, tiller steered.

The commercial guys and clammers use custom built flat boats...
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
Did I say I liked boats............

Me in Zambia, the PH was not as confident in a boat as he was on land. Interesting to see hippos and crocodiles from a small boat, especially when the boat had holes near the bow made by a hippo.

Fishing in Gulf of Mexico with friends

We try to encourage young people to go fishing

Me fishing out of Nosara Costa Rico

Posted By: horse1 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
18' Lund...too small

How much, Bruce?

That was a 2002 model owned by an old guy who was in love with it. His son sold it to me out of his estate a year ago. It was just a little smaller than I like anymore at 18'. It had full enclosure canvas that had never been installed and was still in the packages in his garage, two Scotty electrics, 115 Evenrude injected system, 9.9 Evenrude 4-stroke electric start and power tilt with full helm controls and start key, Cannon remote steering, underwater TV, decent electronics, life vests, boarding pike, 2 good quality rubber mesh nets...etc. I replaced the old original tires on the trailer. I was into it a whopping $7.2 K.

It was uncomfortable for me, and a 20' walk around had spoiled me, so I Craigslisted it for $13,200.00. It sold in an hour, and I used the money to get the 22 1/2' Pro Line and had $4K left to use on the Pro Line if needed. This was about the only time in my lotsa years that I bought low and sold high. I came out good on the Pro Line too.

The Lund was a great boat, but It was just not for me anymore. The guy who bought it takes it over the hill to CA a lot and uses it on the Sacramento Delta. He's thrilled with it. He's also about 2/3 my size and fits in it much better. wink

Very good friend had a 1s yr production 115 Johnson "Ficht" and blew it up 3 times the 1st summer. He had a Honda 4-stroke the next spring...........

JohnW, what sort of boat ramps/launches do you have to deal with where you're planning to fish? What I mean is, are you going to need a roller trailer (shallow water ramps) or do the launch areas get/stay deep enough to accommodate bunk trailers? The reason I ask is more often than not, if a roller trailer is a requirement, then so is an AL boat most likely. If you've got ramps that allow for bunk trailers, an 18.5-21' 'glass Deep-V "Walleye" boat should suffice in WI and down on the coast.

In my current 18.5' 'Glass Yar-Craft I can float and maneuver in 18" of water with the bow mount set to run shallow and/or the 9.9HP kicker trimmed up shallow.

My Yar-Craft is the same length, 3" wider than was my previous 1850 Crestliner FishHawk. I have a 200HP Yamaha vs. a 150HP Suzuki. I have a fuel-flow meter tied into the GPS on both boats. Despite being 800# heavier in total and having 50 more HP, the glass boat will run 7-8MPH faster @ the same fuel burn rate that the Crestliner did. The hull is much more efficient. The 'glass boat is also exponentially smoother and drier than was my previous C-Liner. My main fishing partner has a 19.5' Alumacraft (AL obviously) with a windshield and he gets soaking wet and pounded to death in waves that I can have a polite conversation and drink coffee in in the glass boat.

IME, the glass boats offer far better control as well. They track much better both on plane and while trolling. Generically, glass boats also settle down into the water when not on plane and are less effected by wind than are higher-sided AL boats, there are opposite examples of both, but by and large, this is true.

Also, what are you planning on for a tow vehicle?
lemme chew on that Horse

Ramps are mostly steep and deep.

Would love to have a glass boat but they don't always age well, it seems.

Am on a strict budget for now and am intending to buy a learners permit boat, if you get my drift.

my true goal; Scout 195 SF

Maybe...
Posted By: horse1 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
Storage of boats is a major factor for how long the wood lasts. Lots of folks store boats outside with a cover over them. In the heat of Summer, the cover holds a lot of moisture and heat/humidity allowing it to get into the wood. Carpet holds moisture up against wood as well. Wet carpet under a tarp in the heat of the summer is terrible on wood floors and transoms. Older 'glass boats with sealed transoms would get seepage around outboard mounting bolts as well as humidity.

Some of the newer 'glass boats are 100% wood free.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/11/20
OK Roger

I’ll be yer fisheries biologist fer today...
Wahoo (wahoo)
Greater Amberjack (wreck donkey)
American Red Snapper (ARS, red snappa’)

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/12/20
The chunky one is an Amberjack. I used to catch them all the time when I worked on fixed leg platforms. They fight like your hooked to a bull. They swim for the legs and try to rub the hook out on the barnacles. I loved catching them.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/12/20
I promised some dumb-ass questions and here's another.

When exploring areas by boat, are there rules or guidelines for knowing where to run a boat and where to stay away from?

For instance, the Mississippi river near me is notorious for it's wing dams, used to maintain channel depth. At certain water levels they are basically invisible but will still wreck your day and your lower unit.

Is this mostly an experience type of thing? Do most coastal areas have charts for small boaters?

Is there a hard core cadre that waits with video cameras for morons to show themselves? (Around here most guys will try to wave you away from a wing dam. Lots of stories of idiots cheerfully waving back right up til they rip the motor clean off their boat.)
Posted By: ltppowell Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Wahoo.
Amberjack. (They will hurt your back.)
Red Snapper.

As far as obstructions are concerned, most coastal areas and major lakes have major obstructions marked on modern electronic mapping. That said, most waters are not mapped as such. You just gotta go and do the best you can. You ARE gonna hit stuff.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/12/20
What is the difference between a red snapper and a redfish?

Signed,

I.G. Norant
Posted By: ltppowell Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/13/20
Redfish (Red Drum) are in the drum family. Red Snapper are an offshore reef fish.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/13/20
If this panic crap keeps up maybe boat prices will come down for ya, John.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
There are guys that are into cars or motorcycles or planes or a myriad of other toys for fun but I’m a boat guy. I love boats, fishing and the general solitude of exploring hidden bays, cruising inlets and throwing the hook out in a place that makes you feel as if you’re the first person to lay eyes on such unblemished beauty. Southeast Alaska is a boaters playground unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. Despite my love of fishing I hate crowds and I detest “combat fishing” which means that a boat is a necessity.

The “right” boat for one type of fishing is the wrong boat for other types of fishing. Saltwater fishing in the PNW and Alaska sees all types of materials used in boat building but Aluminum boats are the most popular around here. They’re generally lighter than a glass boat of the same size and “style” and don’t require as much horsepower to get up on step thereby saving money in the initial cost of the motor (outboards) and over time you’ll see a significant savings in fuel costs. Aluminum boats are lighter than their glass counterparts making towing, launching and recovering easier for an older couple to do by themselves.

As for the tiller versus a ‘console” dilemma, that’s a choice of personal preference, the type of fishing, the water you plan on fishing (river, bay, ocean, etc) boat size and motor size. I’ve got buddies that are running 24’ Alumawelds and Duckworths with 200hp outboards and jet lowers. For fishing rivers in a sled the tiller is the preferred method. Personally I prefer a console and really don’t like tiller steering on anything larger than a skiff. I like having a warm and weatherproof cabin, hot coffee and a place to take a nap while waiting for the weather to pass or the tide to change. Making breakfast while trolling is a nice perk as is BBQ’ing freshly caught salmon, halibut, lingcod, spot prawns, etc all the while continuing to fish. Having to set your plate down so you can fight and land a nice King Salmon makes those kinds of days unforgettable. Having some of the basic comforts available onboard also makes it more pleasant for the less intense fisher-people in your life. I want my boat to be as comfortable as possible because I want my wife to enjoy our time rather than to merely endure it for my sake.

If you’re in the market for a boat determine what you’ll be primarily using the boat for, what conveniences you want for yourself and your fishing companions and then narrow it down from there. Once you’ve narrowed your choices down you should arrange some “test drives” in both glass and aluminum as well as with tillers and consoles. Buy what you’re most comfortable in and what you’re most comfortable operating.

Good luck and I hope you post pictures with whatever you decide to go with. 👍

I really liked this post. I too am a boat guy, and probably have all too many, mostly tinny's, between 10 and 18', and suitable for what I need them to do in the east. Looking at western boats now though and thinking that the Gregor Alaskan (16') with about a 25 hp tiller would be the ultimate do-it-all fishing boat for both coasts and lots in between. .
Posted By: horse1 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/13/20
I promised some dumb-ass questions and here's another.

When exploring areas by boat, are there rules or guidelines for knowing where to run a boat and where to stay away from?

For instance, the Mississippi river near me is notorious for it's wing dams, used to maintain channel depth. At certain water levels they are basically invisible but will still wreck your day and your lower unit.

Is this mostly an experience type of thing? Do most coastal areas have charts for small boaters?

Is there a hard core cadre that waits with video cameras for morons to show themselves? (Around here most guys will try to wave you away from a wing dam. Lots of stories of idiots cheerfully waving back right up til they rip the motor clean off their boat.)

GPS unit by Lowrance, HumminBird, or Garmin will all take navigation mini-SD cards pre-loaded with lots of depth contours, structure, and dangerous areas. The good news is that they are becoming more detailed, cover much larger areas and have come down in $$. Used to be that you bought 1 chip for 1 lake. Now you buy 1 chip and get most navigable waters in 2-3 states.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
A cheap tablet with any number of free apps will do amazing things in navigating. I ran high end stuff for the time around Kodiak and elsewhere and since I found Backcountry Navigator I have looked no further. It does more than any older program I bought and I spent good money for hardware and software and updates. Thousands of dollars...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
Oh, and it comes with a built-in GPS and it works almost everywhere. A friend took my advice and bought one for a trip to Christmas Island a few months ago and it worked perfectly.
Posted By: pal Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
...What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers...
I weigh 375 pounds...
I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console...

Then get something around 20'. Avoid underpowered boats. Watch for a deal on an older one that has been mostly well cared for. 4-stroke is better.

Here's my 25' Mako walk-around cuddy. Has a Yamaha 250hp 4-stroke, 2 bunks, galley, head w/ shower, 150-gallons of fuel.

Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
Love to have something like that, pal...

I'd have to start another thread on where to find a proper captains hat...

Thanks for the heads up on electronic navigation help. Pretty sure that needs another thread of its own too...

I appreciate all of the awesome pics...

Laying low tonight with a sinus infection...
Did I say I liked boats............

Me in Zambia, the PH was not as confident in a boat as he was on land. Interesting to see hippos and crocodiles from a small boat, especially when the boat had holes near the bow made by a hippo.

Fishing in Gulf of Mexico with friends

We try to encourage young people to go fishing

Me fishing out of Nosara Costa Rico

Lemme try to ID these pics

#1 Bald ass Basser

#2 Grey Chompers

#3&4 Red Snapper

#5 Swordfish?
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
Johnw,

That is funny

The last one is a black marlin.

Just about have the airboat engine back together. Headed to the houseboat tomorrow.

For bonus points

Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
I picked up a Maycraft 1800 (18'9") with 115 Yamaha 4 stroke, Hummingbird Helix 7 depthfinder, galvanized single axle trailer and $1200 Minn Kota Ipilot saltwater trolling motor for $8000 a couple years back. If your looking for a 20' ish fiberglass boat, Maycrafts are hard to beat for the money, even more so used. I use mine for everything from family boating, to crappie fishing lakes and duck hunting (mine is the olive green hull) and inshore fishing in the salt. Draws about 12" with the motor up and typical load.

It rides way better than a boat it's size should. I've had it in solid 3-4 footers in the Pamlico sound and never felt unsafe. Lots of folks take them 20 miles or more offshore but I'd want more boat to do that. Buddy has the 20' Maycraft and its awesome as well, little heavier but more room.
Peacock bass...

I read about them somewhere or other...

Spent some time here and there on the water, eh?
I have been very fortunate to have traveled to some interesting areas. We spend a ton of time in boats here. The funny thing is I don’t really consider myself a fisherman.

For extra bonus hint this was in Zimbabwe.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/14/20
OK Roger

wahoo, amberjack and snapper.
I have looked at a couple of used maycraft boats online. Counting on you to find me a deal like yours.

Help a brother out...
And no idea...

Toothy aren't they?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
OK Roger

wahoo, amberjack and snapper.

Just the names of those fish sound like a good day...
Tiger fish. That is Lake Kaiba behind us.
Another question up for discussion.

I see most glass boats with a swim platform and ladder. I've even been on a few back when I was younger and half the man (approximately) I am now. How is something like this gonna hold up for a full sized adult male?
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/15/20
And...

On the average 19 or 20 ft center console boat, how much room is available to walk past the console going from one end of the boat to the other?
Posted By: pal Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/15/20
Another question up for discussion.

I see most glass boats with a swim platform and ladder. I've even been on a few back when I was younger and half the man (approximately) I am now. How is something like this gonna hold up for a full sized adult male?

And...

On the average 19 or 20 ft center console boat, how much room is available to walk past the console going from one end of the boat to the other?

Actually the center console design is pretty cramped along the sides in a 20-footer, especially for a big guy. But you don't spend any time in that area, just for access fore and aft.

A normal swim step should be up to the job, and of course is easy to beef up, but some ladders may not be up to 350 lbs.
Posted By: johnw Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20
Anyone here familiar with Privateer boats built in North Carolina?
And a question about the Wahoo fish.

Was it named for the sound a guy makes when he hooks one?

I have a boat made by made by Radcliffe Marine, the makers of today's Privateer. Mine is a 17 footer that was known as a "Beaver Boat". Pretty sure it was made from the same mold as the later Privateers. As far as I know they still have a great reputation in this area, eastern NC. Mine was made in 1988, I bought it about 15 years ago and it is still in good shape, only a few spider web cracks in the gel coat. A lot of them were built for commercial fisherman, pretty sure mine was originally built for fishing nets.
Posted By: hanco Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20
It is about time to get mine out, clean it up, make sure it runs.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by hanco
It is about time to get mine out, clean it up, make sure it runs.

Good luck, Hanco. The state parks here decided it was a good idea to shut down so we can't even launch. I haven't checked the little lake I go to out on the Rez, but I'd be surprised if they closed it.
Looking at and interested in a 1981 built Privateer 18 Retriever. Looks like a great boat but I am leery of older glass boats and the potential for hidden deterioration.

Current owner is the second owner and it was never used commercially. What should a guy look for on a boat like this? The price is not huge, but still a significant cost. And I don't wanna be a boat rebuilder...
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20

I have a boat made by made by Radcliffe Marine, the makers of today's Privateer. Mine is a 17 footer that was known as a "Beaver Boat". Pretty sure it was made from the same mold as the later Privateers. As far as I know they still have a great reputation in this area, eastern NC. Mine was made in 1988, I bought it about 15 years ago and it is still in good shape, only a few spider web cracks in the gel coat. A lot of them were built for commercial fisherman, pretty sure mine was originally built for fishing nets.

Privateers are damn good boats. They are still used by commercial crabbers and fishermen all over eastern NC. I searched for one before I got my Maycraft but they were crazy high for a basic working boat. I still love the lines and build on them. Proves that wood done right can build an excellent boat.
Yep, they are known to be tough as nails, sort of like the old River- and Sea Ox line of boats. In fact, the boat I have is the spittin' image of the old 17' River Ox.

In sportfishing configurations, they may not be as polished as some other makes, but they are pretty much bullet-proof.
Posted By: pal Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20
...I don't wanna be a boat rebuilder...

Then make your purchase contingent on having the boat inspected by a professional.
Originally Posted by pal

Then make your purchase contingent on having the boat inspected by a professional.

Curious as to the cost and how to go about that?

In reality, there are a couple of boats I'm interested in. And despite the cautions about crestliner boats and potential transom issues I'm leaning that way. Found a boat 3 hours from the house that I intend to look at this weekend.

If I buy the Crestliner, I'll have a relatively care free boat to learn on. And If I then turned around, bought the Privateer and parked it at a relatives place in Alabama, I'd have a boat to use inshore there.

And I'd still be under the price of any new boat...
Posted By: pal Re: General Boat Discussion - 03/24/20
Originally Posted by pal

...If I buy the Crestliner...And If I then turned around, bought the Privateer and parked it at a relatives place in Alabama...I'd still be under the price of any new boat...

Then you should have your head examined by a professional. smile First, unless you had a lot of cash to spend, you should not consider a new boat. Second, 1 used boat you could rationalize. 2 used boats, one of which you don't even have room to store yourself, would be crazy.

As far as getting a pre-purchase inspection, find a local boat repair expert and pay him for an hour or so of his time.
[quote=pal

Then you should have your head examined by a professional. smile
This is a given for all who post on the 'fire.

First, unless you had a lot of cash to spend, you should not consider a new boat.
Didn't really have it to spend, but if I'd skimmed some investment funds and bought a boat a month ago I'd have lost that much less than I did.

Second, 1 used boat you could rationalize. 2 used boats, one of which you don't even have room to store yourself, would be crazy.
I want one for the local rivers where I live, and one for coastal inshore use, where they live. And I may acquire a place there before too long.

As far as getting a pre-purchase inspection, find a local boat repair expert and pay him for an hour or so of his time.[/quote]
© 24hourcampfire