What kind of fish are those?

I suspect the chunky one is a tuna?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm sure there are some professional fishermen in your area. Look at what they use and why. I'm not talking about tournament fishermen...those guys are just emulating the sponsored guys. Look at what the guides and commercial fishermen are using. There is a reason they are using it.

I know a couple of guys who guide. They use 16 or 18 foot flat bottoms, tiller steered.

The commercial guys and clammers use custom built flat boats...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Did I say I liked boats............

Me in Zambia, the PH was not as confident in a boat as he was on land. Interesting to see hippos and crocodiles from a small boat, especially when the boat had holes near the bow made by a hippo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fishing in Gulf of Mexico with friends

We try to encourage young people to go fishing

Me fishing out of Nosara Costa Rico

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by luv2safari
18' Lund...too small

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

How much, Bruce?

That was a 2002 model owned by an old guy who was in love with it. His son sold it to me out of his estate a year ago. It was just a little smaller than I like anymore at 18'. It had full enclosure canvas that had never been installed and was still in the packages in his garage, two Scotty electrics, 115 Evenrude injected system, 9.9 Evenrude 4-stroke electric start and power tilt with full helm controls and start key, Cannon remote steering, underwater TV, decent electronics, life vests, boarding pike, 2 good quality rubber mesh nets...etc. I replaced the old original tires on the trailer. I was into it a whopping $7.2 K.

It was uncomfortable for me, and a 20' walk around had spoiled me, so I Craigslisted it for $13,200.00. It sold in an hour, and I used the money to get the 22 1/2' Pro Line and had $4K left to use on the Pro Line if needed. This was about the only time in my lotsa years that I bought low and sold high. I came out good on the Pro Line too.

The Lund was a great boat, but It was just not for me anymore. The guy who bought it takes it over the hill to CA a lot and uses it on the Sacramento Delta. He's thrilled with it. He's also about 2/3 my size and fits in it much better. wink

Very good friend had a 1s yr production 115 Johnson "Ficht" and blew it up 3 times the 1st summer. He had a Honda 4-stroke the next spring...........

JohnW, what sort of boat ramps/launches do you have to deal with where you're planning to fish? What I mean is, are you going to need a roller trailer (shallow water ramps) or do the launch areas get/stay deep enough to accommodate bunk trailers? The reason I ask is more often than not, if a roller trailer is a requirement, then so is an AL boat most likely. If you've got ramps that allow for bunk trailers, an 18.5-21' 'glass Deep-V "Walleye" boat should suffice in WI and down on the coast.

In my current 18.5' 'Glass Yar-Craft I can float and maneuver in 18" of water with the bow mount set to run shallow and/or the 9.9HP kicker trimmed up shallow.

My Yar-Craft is the same length, 3" wider than was my previous 1850 Crestliner FishHawk. I have a 200HP Yamaha vs. a 150HP Suzuki. I have a fuel-flow meter tied into the GPS on both boats. Despite being 800# heavier in total and having 50 more HP, the glass boat will run 7-8MPH faster @ the same fuel burn rate that the Crestliner did. The hull is much more efficient. The 'glass boat is also exponentially smoother and drier than was my previous C-Liner. My main fishing partner has a 19.5' Alumacraft (AL obviously) with a windshield and he gets soaking wet and pounded to death in waves that I can have a polite conversation and drink coffee in in the glass boat.

IME, the glass boats offer far better control as well. They track much better both on plane and while trolling. Generically, glass boats also settle down into the water when not on plane and are less effected by wind than are higher-sided AL boats, there are opposite examples of both, but by and large, this is true.

Also, what are you planning on for a tow vehicle?

Last edited by horse1; 03/11/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
lemme chew on that Horse

Ramps are mostly steep and deep.

Would love to have a glass boat but they don't always age well, it seems.

Am on a strict budget for now and am intending to buy a learners permit boat, if you get my drift.

my true goal; Scout 195 SF

Maybe...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Storage of boats is a major factor for how long the wood lasts. Lots of folks store boats outside with a cover over them. In the heat of Summer, the cover holds a lot of moisture and heat/humidity allowing it to get into the wood. Carpet holds moisture up against wood as well. Wet carpet under a tarp in the heat of the summer is terrible on wood floors and transoms. Older 'glass boats with sealed transoms would get seepage around outboard mounting bolts as well as humidity.

Some of the newer 'glass boats are 100% wood free.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK Roger

What kind of fish are those?

I suspect the chunky one is a tuna?

I’ll be yer fisheries biologist fer today...
Wahoo (wahoo)
Greater Amberjack (wreck donkey)
American Red Snapper (ARS, red snappa’)

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The chunky one is an Amberjack. I used to catch them all the time when I worked on fixed leg platforms. They fight like your hooked to a bull. They swim for the legs and try to rub the hook out on the barnacles. I loved catching them.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I promised some dumb-ass questions and here's another.

When exploring areas by boat, are there rules or guidelines for knowing where to run a boat and where to stay away from?

For instance, the Mississippi river near me is notorious for it's wing dams, used to maintain channel depth. At certain water levels they are basically invisible but will still wreck your day and your lower unit.

Is this mostly an experience type of thing? Do most coastal areas have charts for small boaters?

Is there a hard core cadre that waits with video cameras for morons to show themselves? (Around here most guys will try to wave you away from a wing dam. Lots of stories of idiots cheerfully waving back right up til they rip the motor clean off their boat.)

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Wahoo.
Amberjack. (They will hurt your back.)
Red Snapper.

As far as obstructions are concerned, most coastal areas and major lakes have major obstructions marked on modern electronic mapping. That said, most waters are not mapped as such. You just gotta go and do the best you can. You ARE gonna hit stuff.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is the difference between a red snapper and a redfish?

Signed,

I.G. Norant

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Redfish (Red Drum) are in the drum family. Red Snapper are an offshore reef fish.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If this panic crap keeps up maybe boat prices will come down for ya, John.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
There are guys that are into cars or motorcycles or planes or a myriad of other toys for fun but I’m a boat guy. I love boats, fishing and the general solitude of exploring hidden bays, cruising inlets and throwing the hook out in a place that makes you feel as if you’re the first person to lay eyes on such unblemished beauty. Southeast Alaska is a boaters playground unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. Despite my love of fishing I hate crowds and I detest “combat fishing” which means that a boat is a necessity.

The “right” boat for one type of fishing is the wrong boat for other types of fishing. Saltwater fishing in the PNW and Alaska sees all types of materials used in boat building but Aluminum boats are the most popular around here. They’re generally lighter than a glass boat of the same size and “style” and don’t require as much horsepower to get up on step thereby saving money in the initial cost of the motor (outboards) and over time you’ll see a significant savings in fuel costs. Aluminum boats are lighter than their glass counterparts making towing, launching and recovering easier for an older couple to do by themselves.

As for the tiller versus a ‘console” dilemma, that’s a choice of personal preference, the type of fishing, the water you plan on fishing (river, bay, ocean, etc) boat size and motor size. I’ve got buddies that are running 24’ Alumawelds and Duckworths with 200hp outboards and jet lowers. For fishing rivers in a sled the tiller is the preferred method. Personally I prefer a console and really don’t like tiller steering on anything larger than a skiff. I like having a warm and weatherproof cabin, hot coffee and a place to take a nap while waiting for the weather to pass or the tide to change. Making breakfast while trolling is a nice perk as is BBQ’ing freshly caught salmon, halibut, lingcod, spot prawns, etc all the while continuing to fish. Having to set your plate down so you can fight and land a nice King Salmon makes those kinds of days unforgettable. Having some of the basic comforts available onboard also makes it more pleasant for the less intense fisher-people in your life. I want my boat to be as comfortable as possible because I want my wife to enjoy our time rather than to merely endure it for my sake.

If you’re in the market for a boat determine what you’ll be primarily using the boat for, what conveniences you want for yourself and your fishing companions and then narrow it down from there. Once you’ve narrowed your choices down you should arrange some “test drives” in both glass and aluminum as well as with tillers and consoles. Buy what you’re most comfortable in and what you’re most comfortable operating.

Good luck and I hope you post pictures with whatever you decide to go with. 👍

I really liked this post. I too am a boat guy, and probably have all too many, mostly tinny's, between 10 and 18', and suitable for what I need them to do in the east. Looking at western boats now though and thinking that the Gregor Alaskan (16') with about a 25 hp tiller would be the ultimate do-it-all fishing boat for both coasts and lots in between. .

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I promised some dumb-ass questions and here's another.

When exploring areas by boat, are there rules or guidelines for knowing where to run a boat and where to stay away from?

For instance, the Mississippi river near me is notorious for it's wing dams, used to maintain channel depth. At certain water levels they are basically invisible but will still wreck your day and your lower unit.

Is this mostly an experience type of thing? Do most coastal areas have charts for small boaters?

Is there a hard core cadre that waits with video cameras for morons to show themselves? (Around here most guys will try to wave you away from a wing dam. Lots of stories of idiots cheerfully waving back right up til they rip the motor clean off their boat.)

GPS unit by Lowrance, HumminBird, or Garmin will all take navigation mini-SD cards pre-loaded with lots of depth contours, structure, and dangerous areas. The good news is that they are becoming more detailed, cover much larger areas and have come down in $$. Used to be that you bought 1 chip for 1 lake. Now you buy 1 chip and get most navigable waters in 2-3 states.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A cheap tablet with any number of free apps will do amazing things in navigating. I ran high end stuff for the time around Kodiak and elsewhere and since I found Backcountry Navigator I have looked no further. It does more than any older program I bought and I spent good money for hardware and software and updates. Thousands of dollars...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and it comes with a built-in GPS and it works almost everywhere. A friend took my advice and bought one for a trip to Christmas Island a few months ago and it worked perfectly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers...
I weigh 375 pounds...
I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console...

Then get something around 20'. Avoid underpowered boats. Watch for a deal on an older one that has been mostly well cared for. 4-stroke is better.

Here's my 25' Mako walk-around cuddy. Has a Yamaha 250hp 4-stroke, 2 bunks, galley, head w/ shower, 150-gallons of fuel.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Love to have something like that, pal...

I'd have to start another thread on where to find a proper captains hat...

Thanks for the heads up on electronic navigation help. Pretty sure that needs another thread of its own too...

I appreciate all of the awesome pics...

Laying low tonight with a sinus infection...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Did I say I liked boats............

Me in Zambia, the PH was not as confident in a boat as he was on land. Interesting to see hippos and crocodiles from a small boat, especially when the boat had holes near the bow made by a hippo.

Fishing in Gulf of Mexico with friends

We try to encourage young people to go fishing

Me fishing out of Nosara Costa Rico

Lemme try to ID these pics

#1 Bald ass Basser

#2 Grey Chompers

#3&4 Red Snapper

#5 Swordfish?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,616
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.