Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have seen so many leaky crestliners in tournaments that it's crazy. Trackers too. Wouldn't own either one on a bet. Lund and Ranger have been by far my favorite boats. Both in quality and how things are thought out and put in the boat. So far the Skeeter is OK. Time will tell.

Camp is where you make it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta make sure there's room for extra 'passengers', too. Youngest daughter wanted to take her dog on Saturday. We actually had a largemouth launch itself out of the livewell when the kid was looking at it; made for a little entertainment with the dog!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
John, the first thing to concede is that you don't "need" a boat. If you did, the type of boat would be obvious. You "want" a boat. smile

Bingo...

And the dumb questions have only begun. You guys might find out how truly ignorant I really am

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by ltppowell
John, the first thing to concede is that you don't "need" a boat. If you did, the type of boat would be obvious. You "want" a boat. smile

Bingo...

And the dumb questions have only begun. You guys might find out how truly ignorant I really am

Ya gotta start somewhere.

You can never have too much storage. Some is a lot drier than others. and a Fish 'n Ski, is not good at either one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
You need it for, uh, fishing and stuff

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This thread needs more pics! lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
fishing machine.
new top on it. i help Brian with a lot of the work.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

when he first got it, first trip out in it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Gotta make sure there's room for extra 'passengers', too. Youngest daughter wanted to take her dog on Saturday. We actually had a largemouth launch itself out of the livewell when the kid was looking at it; made for a little entertainment with the dog!

Beagles rule!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Beagles, babes, and boats...

Seems like you're doing OK...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

Mike,

Can you give the short version description of what that transom needs done? I've done a bit of minor fiberglass repair work, but building a transom sounds like a big project, to me.

And how old is the boat, and why did the transom go bad,if you know? Lack of care? Hard use and abuse? ???

I know everything can fail, and eventually will. I don't read about a lot of failures with Grady White. Do these boats have their own grave yard?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

I already have a 225hp OptiMax, I need to put about $1000 in the trailer, $3000 upgrading the boat, and about $2500 in electronic I will be under $10,000 for a very nice Grady White. I just need to finish changing a cylinder on my airboat engine, move my houseboat from the hunting lease to my summertime location, re-prop my bateaux for a little better performance, rebuild the outdrive on the super go devil, find the key my 3 year grandson took out of my bass boat ignition.... too many damn boats.

Are you going to pop the cap off to redo the transom?

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
After some "he-ing and she-ing" we found out that we had a baby on the way. I freaked out and went into financial crunch mode and shed a lot of "unnecessary" debt...which also meant the SeaChaser went down the road as a means to get rid of the note. I didn't last long before I NEEDED another boat though. I decided to buy cheap and ended up with this jalopy...still not sure what it was...but I got it titled as something and went fishing.

[Linked Image]

We used this boat to rat around Mobile Bay, the Mississippi Sound and all over Dauphin Island. We end up on the beach a lot just so the wife and daughter can play in the water when it gets hot.

Caught this guy on a piece of squid while fishing for white trout in the MS sound.

[Linked Image]

This dude was right on the beach and I caught him in my cast net (accidentally) while trying to net mullet...Sheepshead and a cast net makes for a tangled mess!

[Linked Image]

Pod of cow nose rays swimming past while we were chilling on the beach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

War Eagle... or somebody

Please identify the fish in your pics.

What about the one with the gal standing? long dark fish with lateral stripe?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The vertical striped fish is a sheepshead
The next several are what we call speckled trout aka spotted seatrout
The last big fish is a lemon fish aka cobia aka ling

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not planning to pull the cap, that is the professional way to do it.

I will either cut the fiberglass on top of the transom and use a chainsaw (yes chainsaw) to reach in and remove the rotten wood, make certain it is dry, and fill it with resin and matting, basically ending up with a solid fiberglass transom. I will cap it off with an aluminum plate for additional strength.

The better way to do it is to remove most of the exterior of the transom, completely clean everything, start laying fiberglass, matting, wood, as needed. It is a lot of work but would look good if done properly. Years back we ran fiberglass airboats so I learned at an early age how to perform fiberglass work, but this is a big job.

JohnW

This is a common problem for a lot of older boats. Water will leak in through the bolt holes for mounting the engine and rot the wood in transom. In general Grady Whites are good boats. This one is a new hull design, I think it was built around 1995.

This guy makes it look easy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Beagles, babes, and boats...

Seems like you're doing OK...

Haha, while the mutant beagle is ours, the babe is not mine (stole that pic off the interwebs). I don't think the wife would approve if I caught one of those and brought it home. Unless she was a hard worker, maybe... smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure there are some professional fishermen in your area. Look at what they use and why. I'm not talking about tournament fishermen...those guys are just emulating the sponsored guys. Look at what the guides and commercial fishermen are using. There is a reason they are using it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not planning to pull the cap, that is the professional way to do it.

I will either cut the fiberglass on top of the transom and use a chainsaw (yes chainsaw) to reach in and remove the rotten wood, make certain it is dry, and fill it with resin and matting, basically ending up with a solid fiberglass transom. I will cap it off with an aluminum plate for additional strength.

The better way to do it is to remove most of the exterior of the transom, completely clean everything, start laying fiberglass, matting, wood, as needed. It is a lot of work but would look good if done properly. Years back we ran fiberglass airboats so I learned at an early age how to perform fiberglass work, but this is a big job.

JohnW

This is a common problem for a lot of older boats. Water will leak in through the bolt holes for mounting the engine and rot the wood in transom. In general Grady Whites are good boats. This one is a new hull design, I think it was built around 1995.

This guy makes it look easy

That was a common problem with Grady's. Do you have any idea what condition the deck and stringers are in? If they are good, when you are done you will have one sweet boat for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I really enjoy my dual console. The wife does too, and that matters.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are no soft spots on the deck. I am trying not to think about the stringers.....:

I had a partner in a 27’ Boston Whaler that we sold last year. We sold the boat and trailer but each kept an engine.

The Whaler was a big boat 10’ beam and 34 ft from pulpit to back of the motors. My partner and me to some degree lost interest in fishing offshore.

The Grady will be good for specks, redfish, crabbing at Marsh Island, and an occasional trip offshore maybe and not too far out.

Miss the Sea Dog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
After some "he-ing and she-ing" we found out that we had a baby on the way. I freaked out and went into financial crunch mode and shed a lot of "unnecessary" debt...which also meant the SeaChaser went down the road as a means to get rid of the note. I didn't last long before I NEEDED another boat though. I decided to buy cheap and ended up with this jalopy...still not sure what it was...but I got it titled as something and went fishing.

[Linked Image]

We used this boat to rat around Mobile Bay, the Mississippi Sound and all over Dauphin Island. We end up on the beach a lot just so the wife and daughter can play in the water when it gets hot.

Caught this guy on a piece of squid while fishing for white trout in the MS sound.

[Linked Image]

This dude was right on the beach and I caught him in my cast net (accidentally) while trying to net mullet...Sheepshead and a cast net makes for a tangled mess!

[Linked Image]

Pod of cow nose rays swimming past while we were chilling on the beach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

War Eagle... or somebody

Please identify the fish in your pics.

What about the one with the gal standing? long dark fish with lateral stripe?

Pics in order...
Boat at the beach
Looks like a young Loggerhead or Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle (need to see the shell and head a little better)
Sheepshead
Cow nosed rays
Spotted sea trout
Boat at the beach
Two spotted sea trout (gators)
Spanish mackerel
Another spotted sea trout (gator)
Last but not least, Cobia...

What do I win...😉😂

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 03/10/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Last edited by stxhunter; 03/10/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 52 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,260
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.