Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Like i said I understand the room thing.

Mike,
Any special handling issues with the tiller on that 90? I've got a 70 on a 17' CC that I was thinking about converting to a tiller, but I am a little concerned about how it is going to handle, particularly in turns.

Depending on the model, it's around 1500ish to convert from remote to tiller steering. Sell what you have and buy a tiller usually makes more sense.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A boat is a hole in the water one throws money in.

Kinda hard to go boating without one though.

I enjoy the hell out of mine. While everyone else is sitting in front of the TV on their day off next to a wife that hates them I’m fishing or sitting with friends on the beach of a barrier island drinking a beer. You can’t put a price on times like that.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mike 70560,

Great that you take your "pets" for a boat ride...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CEoW717
You don’t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. You’ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas 😂

when we going fishing, buddy?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.

Probably walleye and northern fishermen. Boat control is better for jigging and such. I like a steering wheel and a cover, especially when it's raining and snowing! Makes for more pleasurable days.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
You don’t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. You’ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas 😂

You in Wisconsin often?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I enjoy the hell out of mine. While everyone else is sitting in front of the TV on their day off next to a wife that hates them I’m fishing or sitting with friends on the beach of a barrier island drinking a beer. You can’t put a price on times like that.

I have a boat. I’m speaking from experience. They are far cheaper than horses, however.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You in Wisconsin often?

Daugher and her family live about 3 miles from indian ford

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.

Probably walleye and northern fishermen. Boat control is better for jigging and such. I like a steering wheel and a cover, especially when it's raining and snowing! Makes for more pleasurable days.

Bingo on the walleye for 2 of these guys.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I have a boat. I’m speaking from experience. They are far cheaper than horses, however.

Yeah, I've got both and will agree with that...

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to jgray and mike 70560 but this thread needs more pics...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me and ol renegade need to get us a boat to up our game on the arrowhead program.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.
And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?
All of the brands mentioned make good boats. On the tiller thing...I'd just get a console with a steering wheel. The only reason I can see for tiller steering is cost cutting. I like a full windshield...wrap-around. As far north as you are, you'll appreciate that. In the summer, your eyes will thank you.

https://www.polarkraft.com/Polar-Kr...mp;action=view_product_line&country=

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And I promise...

If I buy a boat, to learn to post pics....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m not too far from the glorious day when I get rid of my boat. I think it will be better than the day I bought it!!!!

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
All of the brands mentioned make good boats. On the tiller thing...I'd just get a console with a steering wheel. The only reason I can see for tiller steering is cost cutting. I like a full windshield...wrap-around. As far north as you are, you'll appreciate that. In the summer, your eyes will thank you.

https://www.polarkraft.com/Polar-Kr...mp;action=view_product_line&country=

The guys who own the boats I mentioned really aren't the cost cutting type. Guessing that the Lund mentioned, even in tiller guise, probably cost ^of $50K, although I never asked. I priced a boat Identical to the crestliner mentioned, but with fewer electronics, and it was just under $40k.

Serious fishing boats are not a cheap venture, by most reckoning...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Heym06

I agree with this.
Had tiller boats for 25 years. Great for fishing and boat control. But wet ride in rain and rough water.
Got a dual console boat with several styles of tops 5 years ago. Fishes fine. And yes, makes for more pleasurable days indeed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my G3. Still a little new-to-me but I'm very happy with it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been wanting and intending to buy another boat for some years now. Work, and life in general have intervened but work is almost a thing of the past for me.

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.
And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little 17 Boston Whaler would be great for big rivers and inshore.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 12 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 798 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.