Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been wanting and intending to buy another boat for some years now. Work, and life in general have intervened but work is almost a thing of the past for me.

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.
And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had a variety of boats over the years and the last one I bought was right after a divorce and I blame my choice on a mid-life crisis (it was this or the Corvette I'd always wanted). Guy I bought it from bought it new in '96 for bass fishing on the Mississippi but was getting up there in years and was looking to get into a Lund. I had a lot of fun with it when I was single and caught a lot of fish in it, but I guess I'm getting up there in years myself and am thinking I'm ready for something a little more family friendly. My wife hates it but my grandsons will disown me if I get something else, and I'm not ready to own two boats. What's a guy to do?

Anyway, good luck with your hunt - I wouldn't want to be without a boat of some sort...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Look at North River 21 ft , with an off shore bracket. Rivers and saltwater are covered with them on the west coast. Other makes Alumaweld, Motion Marine, Duckworth and Bolton come to mind.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A boat is a hole in the water one throws money in.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Look at North River 21 ft , with an off shore bracket. Rivers and saltwater are covered with them on the west coast. Other makes Alumaweld, Motion Marine, Duckworth and Bolton come to mind.

I would really love to do this...
but;

All of the N.W, semi custom boats are too rich for my blood. It's been more than 30 years since I owned a powerboat and I'm considering a used cheapy to re-learn on. I'd rather make my mistakes with a $5,000 boat than a $30,000 retirement toy.

And I do believe I can buy a decent Boat/Motor/Trailer combination from alumacarft or crestliner for well under the hull price for the semi customs. A straight up money issue,for me...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Avoid Crestliner at all costs. Their boats are very nice to fish out of, great floor-plan layouts etc but, the company itself is truly awful to deal with if you have a problem.

I owned a 2006 1850 Crestliner Fishhawk with a factory pre-rigged 150HP Suzuki 4-stroke from brand new in May of '06 until last Saturday 6/20/15. Late last summer (Mid-August) I noticed a couple of cracks in the welds along the transom. That was the last time I had it in the water. Late Nov comes along, time to put the boat in storage, but, let's get those cracks fixed 1st. I knew a guy @ the local dealership and he gave me the phone number for Crestliner customer service. I called them up and they wanted NOTHING to do with me direct, they only wanted to deal with a dealer. The local dealer (Ray's, Moorhead MN) are good folks, but, I bought from a dealer that's no longer in business and I don't think Ray's should have to deal with this, they didn't make any $$ on it and I'm sure have better things to do than worry about a boat they didn't sell. Ray's removed my motor and hauled it down to New York Mills for me at no charge. So far so good. Boat sits in NYM from Dec until mid-March, which is fine, I wasn't using it and they weren't charging for storage. This is the only winter my boat's ever been outside. I've stored it indoors since I bought it. Anyway, the cracked welds get fixed under warrantee no questions asked and on the approximate timeline. I'm only ~85mi from the factory so when it was finished I picked it up and pulled it to the dealer to have the motor re-hung, and that's when the real trouble started.

Local dealer goes to hang the motor on a week later and calls me, "We can't hang the motor or, your transom wood is rotten and we're crushing the hull when we tighten the mounting bolts." Well, that's inconvenient, but, I figure it's just 1 more phone call and surely Crestliner would be interested in having my boat fixed properly the 2nd time, and hopefully more quickly than 3mo. Nope, Crestliner doesn't warrantee wood. Now, as I said, the boat is stored indoors all the time except for the days I fish. I take the tarp off when in the garage and often run a fan to get things dried out. Surely someone at Crestliner will see that there are no soft spots in my entire boat floor and realize that I either got a bad piece of wood, or some other unforeseen issue caused the rot. NOPE!!

Without seeing my boat again they told me, "Your motor wasn't pre-rigged and your dealer didn't seal up the holes well enough." Was the 1st story I got. But that was incorrect, as my boat is a Pre-Brunswick model and it indeed was factory pre-rigged, I know because I filled out the order form myself. So I pointed that out and if they believed the un-sealed holes was the problem, it was their doing. Next story was, "Well, I can see that your motor's been moved, whomever moved it didn't seal it back up and that's what caused the leak that in turn caused the rot." That was also incorrect. I had my boat back to Crestliner in '07 or '08 (don't recall which) to have the hull rockered due to too much "hook" in the hull. So again, if the mounting bolt holes weren't sealed, that should be Crestliner's responsibility. Then communication stopped for 2wks. So, I started calling, and calling, and calling, and callling................During the 1st 6 weeks of trying to figure out what caused the rot and should it be warrantee or not, there were only 2 times that my calls were returned and information conveyed when Crestliner said they would. Once was the 1st time the interim manager of customer service called me to say he was looking into things, and the 2nd was a conference call with the President of Crestliner. Other than those 2 calls, I had to HOUND them for information.

So, they schedule to have my boat returned to NYM to have the engineers and the President look at it to determine the cause of the rot. I shuffle my schedule so that I can be there on that day. But, Crestliner, again failed to communicate and the dealer didn't have my boat ready to travel. So another week goes by (it's up to 7 weeks now) until my boat gets down to NYM and the next week I cannot be down there when they "inspect it". I finally got a call back from the interim manager of Customer Service and he tells me that due to the age of my boat they don't see any reason to warantee my boat but due to my persistence they'd "only" charge me $2,000. That's the decision that's come down from the President and that's my only option.

So to re-cap, a boat that's been used for 8 seasons, stored indoors all but the 30-40 days/summer I fish with it, has no soft spots in the floor and no other damage or modifications somehow had a transom rot problem and Crestliner wouldn't stand behind it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Ainโ€™t that the truth.๐Ÿ™„

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobber257

Assuming that your money is going into a hole one way or the other, which way has the best and most rewards? This also is open for discussion in this thread...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I'm the hole in the water that catches the money, 30 plus years in the business. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The trouble with boats is that they are like coats: You need a different one for different occasions. No one boat can do it all. In my neck of the woods, a Carolina Skiff-style boat is a good all round choice. I would think that you will want something other than tiller steering.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Bobber257

Assuming that your money is going into a hole one way or the other, which way has the best and most rewards? This also is open for discussion in this thread...

I spend far more money on fishing / boating than a do hunting during any given year. That is where my passion lies.

I have seen people drop THOUSANDS of dollars on a new rifle....and THOUSANDS to attend a week long hunt states away....that is their passion and they are entitled to spend their money as they choose.

Boats, like fine rifles, fast cars and exotic hunts, also require money to maintain them and enjoy them. And regular use in saltwater also adds its own layer of maintenance to a boat / trailer.

Regardless of your passion, you have to pay to play. No exceptions.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Avoid Crestliner at all costs. Their boats are very nice to fish out of, great floor-plan layouts etc but, the company itself is truly awful to deal with if you have a problem.

I read through your posted quote, Horse. I've yet to see you post much good about anything here.

And I refer to your comments made this last fall on Wisconsin and the residents thereof.

If you go through your day and meet an [bleep], well, you met an [bleep].
If you go through your day and meet nothing but [bleep], well, guess what?

Good luck with your crestliner anyway...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat.

Just curious why a tiller steered boat for fishing? The boat I use the most has a tiller handled Mercury, but it is rarely used for fishing.

these guys all fish and hunt from their boats. And a tiller frees up a lot of room in the boat for moving around and carrying decoys and other toys.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Like i said I understand the room thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

I read through your posted quote, Horse. I've yet to see you post much good about anything here.

And I refer to your comments made this last fall on Wisconsin and the residents thereof.

If you go through your day and meet an [bleep], well, you met an [bleep].
If you go through your day and meet nothing but [bleep], well, guess what?

Good luck with your crestliner anyway...

His post helped me when I was seriously considering a Crestliner. It made me do some research on line about possible transom issues. After digging into it, I insisted on a thorough inspection of the wood transom in the boat I was looking at. Sure enough, that boat had the spray-in foam that went right up to the transom. As water got into the storage compartments in the rear of the boat, it migrated back to the transom and the foam kept it against the wood. The extremely low hour boat I was considering already had signs of transom issues. I bought a G3 from a 'Campfire member and find it to be a better made boat.

My last boat was tiller steer and you can't deny it has some advantages. It comes down to personal preference but so far I'm enjoying having a side console boat even though it takes up space.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molษ”ฬ€หn Labรฉ Skรฝla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.

Each area seems to have their own features in boating that become popular. Tillers are common on the AL gulf coast but mostly on the smaller jon boat type rigs. Once you start getting into the 16ft and up range, steering becomes the norm. If you are looking for a 19-20ft class rig as you say later in your post, I would definitely recommend a helm with steering...and because of your shoulder issues, I would also recommend you look into hydraulic steering.

And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As as I suggested above, if you go with a console steering outfitted boat, you will be sitting a bit more forward than a tiller orientation. This, along with appropriately loading the boat will head off any issues with planing...such as putting your loaded cooler and tackle in the front of the cockpit or forward hatches. Worse case scenario, you could add trim tabs. While not that common on the sub-20ft inshore boats, they are still pretty popular just because they help with load management and much shorter plane distance when you are in shallow waters.

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ??

As one of the responders in that thread, I will also chime in here and say that you will have no problem with an aluminum boat on the gulf coast as long as you mind the heat that comes with them during the summer.

Also, you don't really mention budget on the boat you are looking for. If you are buying new (or just a couple of years old), there are PLENTY of options. If you are buying something older (10+ years) I would say that you should keep an eye out for Kenners and some of the smaller Makos if you stick with glass. For aluminum, G3, Alumaweld, Express and a handful of others all have good inshore options that should appeal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite boat was an Atlantic 17 ft Tri-hull center console with a 60 HP engine.

It would float in 12" of water and could handle 6 foot waves.

I used it in salt water, lakes, rivers and small creeks.

It had lots of room and was very stable and would run around 35 MPH.

The trailer had rollers so it was easy to launch and retrieve by myself without submerging the wheel hubs.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You donโ€™t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. Youโ€™ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas ๐Ÿ˜‚

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I get the room thing,it is just around here most fishing rigs have consoles. I put a lot of hours on my tiller handle. The trick is having everything set right trim, jack plate, load in boat, etc. I can let go of the stick at 40 mph and it will track straight down the bayou.

The boat on the left is my buddy's boat, it is a little bigger than mine on the right but has a 150 hp tiller, mine is a 90 hp tiller.

Like i said I understand the room thing.

Mike,
Any special handling issues with the tiller on that 90? I've got a 70 on a 17' CC that I was thinking about converting to a tiller, but I am a little concerned about how it is going to handle, particularly in turns.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.