Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by cowman
Got a call from my daughter last night from the local police station. She had been picked up for DUI and was asking my advice if she should give consent for a breath test at the station.
Ten minutes before that her husband called me to let me know there was trouble. Apparently a group of young married couples had supper at their house, enjoyed a fire at their firepit and walked to a local establishment for a nightcap. The bar/restaurant they walked to was about 8 blocks away. On the way back, according to him, she had ran the last block and was going to act like she was going to pick up the stragglers. She hopped in his truck(parked on their driveway) and started it backing it down to the street when lights came on. The local cop was watching and arrested her for OWI.
I advised her to take the test at the local PD as refusal to take it is a years suspension of your DL . I did tell her to request a blood test, as she was arrested at 12 am and the test would not be taken until roughly 2 am by the time the PO made it to the county jail/hospital.
Spent a sleepless night waiting for their call. The stupid thing was getting behind the wheel, but we all make mistakes. In my opinion, the local cop could have made a judgement call and told them to go back to the fire. However he did not.
She is 22 and a top notch nurse in our community. Her and her husband work their tails off at their jobs and are good kids.
I would like to help them out, any advice? Hire attorney and try to plead it down? Thanks

This was not a mistake, she had consumed alcohol, she had no idea what her blood alcohol level was, and she had every intention of driving to her destination 8 blocks away, and God knows where else.

Advice ? Let her pay for her what you call a "mistake", don't teach her to have others get her out of her "mistakes", and don't teach her that what she did was okay, she will only pass it on to her children, and so on, and so on.

It takes a good man to teach them right, and just a male to teach them wrong, as in how to do what you want to do to "protect" her. After all is said and done, she will learn by your words and actions and the part you take in all of this, and when the time comes and I pray it never does, but it sure looks like it will by what you are teaching her, she will kill someone in a drunken "mistake", maybe she will kill herself, and you will be the one that planted the seed, and you will carry the guilt, or maybe not, considering the way you are approaching this incident.

God Bless all who have, and will suffer, because of someone else's "mistakes", and those who teach them that those type of actions are just "mistakes".

Lynn

I understand your sentiments, but you need to reread the OP. The total trip was 8 blocks... she ran the last block and was pretending to go one block back, but never left the driveway.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes private property, on their driveway

Well the cop's ticket ain't worth [bleep] then. Tell them to stick it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dipsticks who drink alone are the worst type of alcoholics.

You and Renegade50 deserve all you get in life.

As the saying goes, stupid should hurt.

Fortunately for you two, liberal politicians are trying to prevent stupid from hurting.

I saw where you and Renegade were comparing shoe sizes and talking of piggy back rides through the swamp.

Didn’t peg the needle, but a solid 9 on the cringe-ometer.

Originally Posted by slumlord
I have a firepit, two actually. I don’t entertain people.

I drink alone.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
In reading the original post, I come up with a lot of questions. The first being the reason for the stop. PWN gave some great advice. Knowledgeable and experienced representation is never a bad idea, or inexpensive . That may not result in the desired outlcome but at least you tried. On the other hand, if the Officer lacked reasonable suspicion to make that stop, she may walk away with nothing. You won't know til you try. No doubt this young lady is learning a tough life lesson. That's unfortunate. I feel worse for the man who lost his daughter though.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You are truly a genius.....

Originally Posted by renegade50
Got charged with "DUI by Allowing" after desert storm.
Little gem Montgomery county passed right before the 101st returned from desert storm as a revenue maker.

Met a chick at a bar.
Let her drive my truck to a hotel, was gonna rail the fugg outta her for sure....
Got pulled over.
Truck got towed
She got charged for DUI
I got charged DUI for allowing.

We both went to Montgomery county jail.
Bailed myself out after 8 hour sleep off.
Got truck outta tow yard.

Got a Lawyer.
Slumlord knows who he was.
Dude got disbarred eventually.
Think better call saul with a huge coke habit.
Lol!!!!

Spent about 14 months in and outta court stuff.
Bout 2600 bucks total between lawyer and court fees.
Reduced eventually to public Intox 150 buck fine
50 hrs community service which I did at Pratt Museum on Ft Campbell limbing all the trees around the Aircraft display and cleaning the wpns and displays on exhibit inside.

Got to dissassemble, clean and reassemble some pretty cool wpns
Bout the only positive thing from the entire thing aside from learning that cabs are the way to go and way less painful on your wallet.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Got a call from my daughter last night from the local police station. She had been picked up for DUI and was asking my advice if she should give consent for a breath test at the station.
Ten minutes before that her husband called me to let me know there was trouble. Apparently a group of young married couples had supper at their house, enjoyed a fire at their firepit and walked to a local establishment for a nightcap. The bar/restaurant they walked to was about 8 blocks away. On the way back, according to him, she had ran the last block and was going to act like she was going to pick up the stragglers. She hopped in his truck(parked on their driveway) and started it backing it down to the street when lights came on. The local cop was watching and arrested her for OWI.
I advised her to take the test at the local PD as refusal to take it is a years suspension of your DL . I did tell her to request a blood test, as she was arrested at 12 am and the test would not be taken until roughly 2 am by the time the PO made it to the county jail/hospital.
Spent a sleepless night waiting for their call. The stupid thing was getting behind the wheel, but we all make mistakes. In my opinion, the local cop could have made a judgement call and told them to go back to the fire. However he did not.
She is 22 and a top notch nurse in our community. Her and her husband work their tails off at their jobs and are good kids.
I would like to help them out, any advice? Hire attorney and try to plead it down? Thanks

This was not a mistake, she had consumed alcohol, she had no idea what her blood alcohol level was, and she had every intention of driving to her destination 8 blocks away, and God knows where else.

Advice ? Let her pay for her what you call a "mistake", don't teach her to have others get her out of her "mistakes", and don't teach her that what she did was okay, she will only pass it on to her children, and so on, and so on.

It takes a good man to teach them right, and just a male to teach them wrong, as in how to do what you want to do to "protect" her. After all is said and done, she will learn by your words and actions and the part you take in all of this, and when the time comes and I pray it never does, but it sure looks like it will by what you are teaching her, she will kill someone in a drunken "mistake", maybe she will kill herself, and you will be the one that planted the seed, and you will carry the guilt, or maybe not, considering the way you are approaching this incident.

God Bless all who have, and will suffer, because of someone else's "mistakes", and those who teach them that those type of actions are just "mistakes".

Lynn

I understand your sentiments, but you need to reread the OP. The total trip was 8 blocks... she ran the last block and was pretending to go one block back, but never left the driveway.

I looked, thank you.

Lynn

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Fortunately for you two, liberal politicians are trying to prevent stupid from hurting.

I saw where you and Renegade were comparing shoe sizes and talking of piggy back rides through the swamp.

I drink alone.

So you're a hunter and an outfitter and a liberal. That takes a very special kind of stupid. Congratulations.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Please post the police officer’s report and videos when you get them. Go ahead and fight it, but I’m willing to bet a friendly little wager that the officers story differs significantly from the story your daughter told her daddy.
Should be a good lesson there for all of us on seeing both sides of a story before jumping to conclusions especially when our first reaction is”that’s chickenshït!”.

That being said, I did get my DUI from a cop that watched me pull out of a bar, I blew a .11 just months after Montana dropped to .08. At first I felt it was a BS arrest too, but I was long deserving of it for all the times I had gotten away with near black out drunkenness behind the wheel.
And it forced me to straighten up. Did set me back a little bit I moved forward from it as I matured.

Wise Man you are.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all for the 2nd Amendment but I could also support a prohibition against handling firearms while intoxicated. I've seen a lot of that going on.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We need more lawmakers like Alan Hale, Republican member of the Montana Legislature and owner of the Silver Saddle Bar and Café in Jefferson County before his recent death.....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The cop in that case was a shickenchit.

Yeah, Good point.

Best to just let them drive around drunk.

Is this just because she is female or because her dad posts on the Fire? Or because when she isnt driving under the influence she is a good nurse?

No.

But officer discretion can be used...

I don't know how many folks I gave a ride home or let a friend take them home, rather than arrest them for DWI and ruin their career or life. (Both male and female, but mostly young men) The threat of the reality of that happening was enough that I never had problems with any of them again.

Just because it can result in an arrest doesn't mean it SHOULD every single time.

I had a hard time writing a ticket when a warning would serve the situation just as well too...

The case as presented was a prime example where officer discretion would have had a positive effect.

This

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I drink alone.

i get shîtfaced and drive all around on our land. I have about 4 miles of private roads. Several big fields to just park in prop my size 14 out on the mirror of the Scottsdale and kick back.

That or roll myself up a big ol hogleg and toke it while I’m bush hogging. If I want to.

The law stops at the rickety wooden bridge coming in.

Life is good Bruh’

😃😄🤠

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
He gonna turn you in.....

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Little gem Montgomery county passed right before the 101st returned from desert storm as a revenue maker.

Met a chick at a bar.
Let her drive my truck to a hotel, was gonna rail the fugg outta her for sure....
Got pulled over.
Truck got towed
She got charged for DUI

Got a Lawyer.
Lol!!!!

50 hrs community service which I did at Pratt Museum on Ft Campbell limbing all the trees around the Aircraft display and cleaning the wpns and displays on exhibit inside.

Bout the only positive thing from the entire thing aside from learning that cabs are the way to go and way less painful on your wallet.

Mike,

I understand Liberals don't have a very good grasp on history, especially American Military History, so let me help you out a bit.

Desert Storm was 1991.
That was almost 30 years ago.

We all exhibited less discussion in your younger days. Some of us just know how to laugh about it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
He gonna turn you in.....

I’ve caught bream with a shiny, bare hook

I’ve caught them with just a piece of wet toilet papered too.

Laffing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beer between the legs and shotty in the window rack.

Salad days my youth was.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever rabbit hunt from the hood of a Chrysler imperial being driven around at night?

laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I haven't seem many (any?) here address is this from the OP's daughter's story:

She hopped in his truck(parked on their driveway) and started it backing it down to the street when lights came on.

Lot of unanswered questions can be formulated from that one thing.

First, backing down the driveway "to the street" can be construed as "intent".............at least it could be in my world.

Second, how far down the driveway did she get? Is there a sidewalk there? Even if no sidewalk, how far away from the centerline of the road does the right of way extend? Did any part of her vehicle cross that magic line?

Third, in backing down the driveway did she notice the popo vehicle and yield to it? Was the copper parked on the street or actually driving when he saw her operating the vehicle. If she did appear to be backing into the street in front of him, and he stopped her, did she appear intoxicated at that time? Boozy breath?

Given time, I could probably come up with a coupla more. Whole lotta unanswered questions.

cowman, I wish you daughter the best and sincerely hope she doesn't have an actual "drinking problem". If that sort of thing runs in your family she may want to nip it in the bud now, before it becomes a real disaster.

Good luck to you and the young lady.

Geno

PS another lesson to be learned here....................back INTO the driveway so you can see better coming out. It helps avoid many problems.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I enjoyed laughing at the moron idiots then, still do. Was handed most every disadvantage in life.

Idiots will always be idiots. Pure entertainment. People don’t normally change, but by all means, continue on with your fantasy reality of the universe.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Met a chick at a bar.
Got pulled over.
Truck got towed
She got charged for DUI

Got a Lawyer.
Lol!!!!

Mike,

I understand Liberals don't have a very good grasp on history, especially American Military History, so let me help you out a bit.

Desert Storm was 1991.
That was almost 30 years ago.

We all exhibited less discussion in your younger days. Some of us just know how to laugh about it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Valsdad
What I haven't seem many (any?) here address is this from the OP's daughter's story:

She hopped in his truck(parked on their driveway) and started it backing it down to the street when lights came on.

Lot of unanswered questions can be formulated from that one thing.

First, backing down the driveway "to the street" can be construed as "intent".............at least it could be in my world.

Second, how far down the driveway did she get? Is there a sidewalk there? Even if no sidewalk, how far away from the centerline of the road does the right of way extend? Did any part of her vehicle cross that magic line?

Third, in backing down the driveway did she notice the popo vehicle and yield to it? Was the copper parked on the street or actually driving when he saw her operating the vehicle. If she did appear to be backing into the street in front of him, and he stopped her, did she appear intoxicated at that time? Boozy breath?

Given time, I could probably come up with a coupla more. Whole lotta unanswered questions.

cowman, I wish you daughter the best and sincerely hope she doesn't have an actual "drinking problem". If that sort of thing runs in your family she may want to nip it in the bud now, before it becomes a real disaster.

Good luck to you and the young lady.

Geno

PS another lesson to be learned here....................back INTO the driveway so you can see better coming out. It helps avoid many problems.

How about this scenario:
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
No sympathy whatsoever from me and I guarantee there is more to the story than what is being told.

Yea, what really happened?

After some thought, I've revised my hypothesis.

Lets assume the core elements of the story are reasonably true.

Officers watching the bar, trying to keep the obviously drunk from driving, and putting themselves and others at risk.

A group comes out. No one gets in a vehicle, but they start walking.....how drunk do they have to be for the officer to follow them for seven blocks?

She ran home to get the vehicle to pick up the "stragglers". Was someone(s) too drunk to walk the 8 blocks? That would explain the sudden urge for a vehicle.

She's get the vehicle, perhaps the officers already made contact with the straggles for public intoxication, or in her state, she fails to turn on her headlights...In this town, nothing gets you pulled over quicker then no head lights on a Friday night....

GW,

You only did this kind of work for what, 20, 30 years?

Does that sound about right to you?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 46 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.