Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rph,
hang around...I just funnin w/ya...
Cept about the 170's whistle

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I could'nt read all the comments due to being so excited to submit something.Jed,think about what people say to you before you comment and make a bigger idiot out of yourself.I beleive you have owned some realy nice 99's in the past.I'm sure you know more about them than most.Your knowledge is much appreciated.But put things in perspective.Nice guys with sincere questions are repeatedly brushed away by the likes of "YOU".Your probably ,as far as a man is measured...similar to one of those SNOTTY BASTARDS that could afford them back in their day.Quit being such a know it all smart ass and maybe someone will stand up for you instead of talking behind your back.Oh, congrats on your wedding.I hope you don't get snake oil on the brides dress(croaker sack)at the fest.That last part was just for Laffin here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my best Popeye....I yam who I yam.
You can count yourself a member of my fan-club.
My fans love to hate me.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Whether I like your personallity or not,doesn't change the fact that your entertaining.I imagine after you and I struggled for a while(IF NECCESSARY)we'd probably end up friends.
Just to show there's no hard feelings;here's a poem for your wedding day.
Jed to his blushing bride
I wish you were here,in my arms,the way my 99 is,I like being with you and your sexy daughter as much as taking a wiz.
I fondle her often,and she never says"Quit",and I hope thats how things go,but if you get tired of my ol ass,then maybe I'll flip you to skidrow.
I did'nt have much time but the thought counts,Right?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Oh...I just mentioned to my wife that there was a "marriage to be" at the fest.She raises pomeranians and commented"I like dog shows,but would not want to get married there".EEEEHHH,HEEEE,HEEE.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll likely pass on the poem.Thnx for the thought tho. smile
I am an entertaining SOB ain't I?! grin
This place would be tired... sleep...w/out me.
So I stay. wink
Now,heres some 'shoot from the hip' honesty...that you can tell all your friends...and know in your heart...that your right..."170's are JUNK!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flipper
It pains me greatly to say this....but I agree w/some what you say...about selling rifles.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had one, it was a POS.
I was looking for a 35 cal 760 or 7600, came across a model 170 in 35. Waas very clean, looked like it was hardly if ever fired. Had a Redfield 2-7 scope, got the set up for 250. Took it to the range it was quite accurate-but after a few trips to the range, I started feeding the magazine(up to that point, I only put a cartridge in the chamber, one at a time)-that is when I realized it was a POS. It would not feed properly. The ejected cade would get stuck, the magazine would not hold the cartridges, a real nightmare. Took it to my smith, he sad that this was a very common problem with the 35s, due to the rimless cartridge, there was nothing to hold the cartridge in the magazine. He said he had tried to fix several, but was never sucessful. He said the bad feeding was the reason Savage did not make many of the 35s.
Fortunately I got $150 for the scope on ebay, and $150 from cabels for the rifle. All said and done, I came out OK, but Ill never buy a savage pump rifle-remingtomn all the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Corporal Cleg,
I cannot believe it. eek eek whistle whistle Your story is IDENTICAL to mine!!!!! TO THE "T". I tried several Marlin 336's in 35 Rem. AND I do mean SEVERAL. I could not get ANY of them to fire reloads consistently. Then I found the Savage pump by accident. I didn't even know they made one. I bought it and my conclusions were the same as yours. Then I found a brand new 760 and to this day I still own it. Thanks for your post.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
LBK- My smith said this was very common with the 35s. What is most amusing, is the 35 caliber fetches a premium for this rifle- if you can call it a premium, the rifle does not have high book values.
So many pay a premium for a caliber that does not work in that rifle. Gotta love it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had one once also i liked it so well i gave it away, nothing but trouble savages attempt to break into remingtons nitch, but i dont like remingtons either. Don wink wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Poor quality materials, workmanship and quality control do not produce firearms to admire. No way around it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor forcon,,,,,,,,,all he wanted to know was how much the gun might be worth and how to stop the forend rattle. Post #1 and this has gone on and on without a single jump-in from him. All this whatever you want to call it might have scared him away. Come on forcon,,,,,,,,jump in, the water's fine,,,,,,,,,,TONIGHT!!! grin grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't Joe have a 170 he hunted with? Seems I remember him mentioning that he used one in 35 Rem. Or was that the one his buddy crunched as he fell out of the tree stand?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
All the above - Joe's gun that his buddy rode to the ground...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have no idea how to get the forend to stop rattling on one of these. I see many members here who have owned one of these have accomplished this by getting rid of the gun. But, if there's another answer out there, let's hear it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
ductape!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had any feeding/firing issues with the 170 I had in .35. The triggers are pretty lousy though.

As far as a marlin levergun not feeding/firing reloads, that's a problem with the reloads, not the gun.

Weagle

Last edited by weagle; 06/02/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have agreed with you on that EXCEPT for the fact that I owned 4 of them and NOT one would work. Granted, it was MANY years ago and I was new to reloading. But at the time I was loading for several calibers already and the 336 was the ONLY one I had problems with. I gave up. Then a couple years later I bought a new 760 Remington and to this day have never had another problem and I STILL use the same components including the loading data. Right now I load about 2 dozen different calibers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (AlanF, anothergun, 44mc, 7887mm08, Amos63, 7 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.