Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Wanted to ask if anyone has a 3ed Generation S&W model 1006 in 10mm and what they think of them. Thanks in advance.

"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't currently have one but would put the 1006 as one of the best ever. The downside to it is that it is large, heavy and doesn't hold as many rounds as several other choices. It is a quality piece though. Possibly the best 10mm I've ever owned and I've owned a fairly wide variety.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want gun of this type to use I would look at offerings from Sig Sauer. The 10xx series has not been made for many years, therefore, certain parts are most likely impossible to get. Original magazines are probably very expensive to buy. To add insult to injury price for one in excellent condition is not far off the price of new Sig Sauer 10x25.
If you want large, nicely made S&W vintage pistol I would look at Model 645 .45ACP. Ammo is cheaper to buy and the pistol will last longer if shot on regular basis.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nostalgia is costly.

I can’t remember the dude on utube but he hunts with a Smith 10mm a lot, oh maybe is Hunter Dobes?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have one, adjustable sight model with the winged rear. It’s a big strong pistol that shoot a reasonably well, and is reliable. I usually pick other guns to hunt with, having more accurate and or lighter pistols and revolvers around.

Mine has eaten every type of bullet I’ve fed it, including big 220gr flatnose hardcast stuff. It doesn’t shoot the Sig ammo worth a darn which is a shame as it’s cheaper than most other offerings. Feed it Hornady 180 XTPs and it becomes a laser. I don’t really feel that the 9 round capacity is a handicap for the types of things I would use a heavy 10mm for, it’s too big and heavy for CCW IMO and more of a field pistol in this day and age.

I got it for a song to try out the 10mm and really I’m kinda over it. I’m hoping someday someone who has a 625 in 45ACP really wants one and we can make a trade.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Had one. It shot well but is heavy. I prefer 1911 10mms for carry and hunting

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Start watching at 6:00.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty good video.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My dad has a old KSP s&w 1076. It shoots ok but is pretty heavy. Magazines are really hard to find for it. I like my glock 20 a little better but im biasd towards glock

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyjones
Wanted to ask if anyone has a 3ed Generation S&W model 1006 in 10mm and what they think of them. Thanks in advance.

Have you ever owned a 3rd gen smith? That is the question...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by viking
Nostalgia is costly.

I can’t remember the dude on utube but he hunts with a Smith 10mm a lot, oh maybe is Hunter Dobes?

I think he uses a Dan Wesson, which is a very high quality pistol.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The only issue that you will find w/ any S&W 3rd gen pistol of any model is the trigger reset spring bending inducing creep .

The 3rd Gen's are built like tanks.

The SIG P220 R 5 10mm's will shoot circles around any S&W & is simply rebuild-able on the bench in 30 minutes or less.

TupperWare pistols(Gluck) do not operate/function at 10mm Auto pressures & linked 1911 10mm's break parts(slide stops & Bbl links) when run to 37,500 psi in which the 10mm is designed.

The Dan Wesson may be a tight fit pistol,but look at the dust cover of the frame-CZ Import-Made in Philipines-3rd world JUNK..

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dans40X
The only issue that you will find w/ any S&W 3rd gen pistol of any model is the trigger reset spring bending inducing creep .

The 3rd Gen's are built like tanks.

The SIG P220 R 5 10mm's will shoot circles around any S&W & is simply rebuild-able on the bench in 30 minutes or less.

TupperWare pistols(Gluck) do not operate/function at 10mm Auto pressures & linked 1911 10mm's break parts(slide stops & Bbl links) when run to 37,500 psi in which the 10mm is designed.

The Dan Wesson may be a tight fit pistol,but look at the dust cover of the frame-CZ Import-Made in Philipines-3rd world JUNK..

I've never had issues with that spring in particular, but have broke the trigger play spring. It's extremely easy to replace and parts can be found for these pistols, so it's a non issue. I did, however, order a few of these because they use the same one in the 4006 and 1006. Never hurts to have spare parts around. I will add that I've shot the 1006 and the glock 20 and the sig p220 (I believe) in 10mm and there is no question as to which one is best. I think I'd personally rate them with the 1006 at the top, the sig at second and the glock way down on the list... Everyone there was shooting the heavier 1006 better than the rest as well... Some guys scoff at the 3rd gen smiths, but I believe they are some of the best made pistols around. I do know the guys at the bowling pin shoots hate my 3rd gens. They just keep chugging along and never malfunction. They eat any and all kinds of ammo. If I were the type to feel guilty about anything it would be shooting against those guys who continually have hangups of some kind. Its those bowling pin shoots that have taught me which pistol really is the true winner. The 3rd gens are no slouch...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having used Model 457 for a long time I have much sentiment concerning Gen III S&W pistols. This budget version made sense to buy years ago when prices for used pieces were very low, but now one might as well buy used Glock 30S instead. The Glock is current model with company backing, spare parts, magazines, holsters,.....The S&W metal-framed pistols were designed to compete with Sig P series pistols, therefore, they had to perform. They were great shooters, but w/o parts and company support as shooters they make little sense today. Frankly, looking at 10xx series prices for ones in top shape I see no sense in picking one up instead of current Sig-Sauer product.

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

I had one years ago. Well built and functioned fine . Unfortunately mine was one of the most inaccurate handguns I've ever owed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My sentiments are combination of everything that has been said thus far. My best friend has a 1006 and it's a tank. Accuracy was so so, but we just shot what we had on hand. I had a 4006 when they first came out and like DPD just said, "it was one the most inaccurate pistols I've ever owned." I didn't like how the grip on the SW 3rd gen's holds the main spring in place. The slide mounted decocker was annoying too. I'd take the new Sig 10mm, as much of a clunker it is, over the 1006 any day. Why Sig made it a single stack is beyond my feeble marketing comprehension. It weighs 39ozs. EMPTY. You can hate the plastic Glock all day, but for $600 it's hard to beat and you can buy multiple versions for the same price as many higher end 1911's - which is my preference for mid range 10mm. For hot 10's, I prefer the G40 with an aftermarket, semi drop in barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slavek
Having used Model 457 for a long time I have much sentiment concerning Gen III S&W pistols. This budget version made sense to buy years ago when prices for used pieces were very low, but now one might as well buy used Glock 30S instead. The Glock is current model with company backing, spare parts, magazines, holsters,.....The S&W metal-framed pistols were designed to compete with Sig P series pistols, therefore, they had to perform. They were great shooters, but w/o parts and company support as shooters they make little sense today. Frankly, looking at 10xx series prices for ones in top shape I see no sense in picking one up instead of current Sig-Sauer product.
Squirrel is smart. Squirrel owns Glock. Moose is stupid. Moose owns Smith and Wesson.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have owned a couple of Smith and Wesson 1006 models. While both functioned great, I found their accuracy to be lacking. And they were about as heavy as a boat anchor. I’ve also owned several 1911’s in 10mm also. They are now Pretty much Overpriced in my opinion.
I haven’t personally owned one of the Sig’s, but I would bet they are a fine handgun.

Personally I prefer the plain ole Glock Model 20 in 10mm.
Mine have been Uber reliable and as accurate as any other 10mm I’ve ever owned. And hard to beat for the price.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've had one for about 20 yrs. With the right loads, it would hold under 1.5 inches @ 25 yds. I bought it because Gun Tests magazine said the one they tested had match grade accuracy. I've found that to be true. They are a bit heavier than a 1911 Colt, but they don't kick nearly as hard due to the extra weight and the wider frame. What really impressed me was the power one gets and the relative lack of muzzle blast and recoil. I've owned two .357 Magnums, one 41 Magnum and a 44 Magnum. Definitely more power the .357, but less ear shredding muzzle blast. Not the power of the 41 Mag, but not far off. Not near the recoil or muzzle blast. Mine is not for sale, even though I love the feel of the current Kimber 10mm's. E

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Loved my 1006.
It went down the road to my buddy’s place. The Ruger SR1911 in 10mm is an easier to handle pistol that replaced it. Mostly the 1006 went away due to not wanting to have the slide cut for an RMR. It didn’t make sense to cut up a discontinued pistol and it was worth a lot more uncut.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.