Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
What a big suck. Even my kids are making fun of me. Black flies were bad enough.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
bummer ! That can be bad frown hope you get well!

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Went to the E.R. Monday and the dim bulb doc told me I was having inter-costal muscle spasms. He never even looked, just poked and prodded abit on my shirt, ordered an X-ray and had me wait 10 hours for the 10 minutes of attention I got. Today I went to an urgent care and explained it all over and said I also had rash (had just two small spots Monday) that was getting worse, and, well, at least I know what's up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have never had shingles, but I understand that they are caused by a virus (I think related to the Herpes virus), and that an outbreak can be caused by stress. (Of course, once you find out you have shingles, you become even more stressed! eek )

I believe that they now have a drug they can give you that will make them go into remission. I don't believe you are ever completely rid of shingles; the virus just goes into remission but stays in your system.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
I'll keep ya in prayer buddy. Wifey had them and they bite it bigtime.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
isn't it varicella zoster? (chicken pox virus) IIRC that is a herpes virus. it's usually a relapse in adults from childhood chicken pox. no way to prevent it...just bad luck frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CL,
Ouch...hope you feel better soon.
My kid's Mom had shingles behind her eye.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shingles/shingles.htm

Synonym(s): Postherpetic Neuralgia, Herpes Zoster
Condensed from Shingles: Hope Through Research

Table of Contents (click to jump to sections)
What is Shingles?
Is there any treatment?
What is the prognosis?
What research is being done?

Organizations
Publicaciones en Espa�ol
Additional resources from MEDLINEplus

What is Shingles?
Shingles (herpes zoster) is an outbreak of rash or blisters on the skin that is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox � the varicella-zoster virus. The first sign of shingles is often burning or tingling pain, or sometimes numbness or itch, in one particular location on only one side of the body. After several days or a week, a rash of fluid-filled blisters, similar to chickenpox, appears in one area on one side of the body. Shingles pain can be mild or intense. Some people have mostly itching; some feel pain from the gentlest touch or breeze. The most common location for shingles is a band, called a dermatome, spanning one side of the trunk around the waistline. Anyone who has had chickenpox is at risk for shingles. Scientists think that in the original battle with the varicella-zoster virus, some of the virus particles leave the skin blisters and move into the nervous system. When the varicella-zoster virus reactivates, the virus moves back down the long nerve fibers that extend from the sensory cell bodies to the skin. The viruses multiply, the tell-tale rash erupts, and the person now has shingles.

Is there any treatment?

The severity and duration of an attack of shingles can be significantly reduced by immediate treatment with antiviral drugs, which include acyclovir, valcyclovir, or famcyclovir. Antiviral drugs may also help stave off the painful after-effects of shingles known as postherpetic neuralgia. Other treatments for postherpetic neuralgia include steroids, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and topical agents.

In 2006, the Food and Drug Administration approved a VZV vaccine (Zostavax) for use in people 60 and older who have had chickenpox. When the vaccine becomes more widely available, many older adults will for the first time have a means of preventing shingles. Researchers found that giving older adults the vaccine reduced the expected number of later cases of shingles by half. And in people who still got the disease despite immunization, the severity and complications of shingles were dramatically reduced. The shingles vaccine is only a preventive therapy and is not a treatment for those who already have shingles or postherpetic neuralgia.

What is the prognosis?

For most healthy people, the lesions heal, the pain subsides within 3 to 5 weeks, and the blisters leave no scars. However, shingles is a serious threat in immunosuppressed individuals � for example, those with HIV infection or who are receiving cancer treatments that can weaken their immune systems. People who receive organ transplants are also vulnerable to shingles because they are given drugs that suppress the immune system.

A person with a shingles rash can pass the virus to someone, usually a child, who has never had chickenpox, but the child will develop chickenpox, not shingles. A person with chickenpox cannot communicate shingles to someone else. Shingles comes from the virus hiding inside the person's body, not from an outside source.

What research is being done?

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and other institutes of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) conduct shingles research in laboratories at the NIH and also support additional research through grants to major medical institutions across the country. Current research is aimed at finding new methods for treating shingles and its complications.

War Damn Eagle!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Corelokt...My mom had them somewhere on her face a few years back. Ain't one thing helpful I can say to you other than I hope you get rid of them soon.

They're a bitch for sure. Sorry man! If it's any consolation; if I had them, my kids would taunt me as well!!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
3-5 weeks! sorry guy!

IC B3

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
One week down, at least I'm outta work during good weather! Likely was work that stessed me in the first place, so serves em right. Doc put me on the pills and cream to knock em down quicker (I hope). Got em on my right lower side, at least not a facial thing. Anybody not had chicken pox and wants them, come on over, I'll share.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a suggestion, but I'm sure it would have been mentioned...Valtrex is to treat Herpes...it works on the genital kind (Simplex 1 I think), but is also VERY effective on the kind that causes fever blisters (Simplex 2 I think). I get fever blisters when I get too much sun, and some foods or other irritants I haven't quite figured out yet...when I feel that tingle I can pop a Valtrex and it usually never even blisters up. Ask a doctor and see if that might help.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by corelokt
What a big suck. Even my kids are making fun of me. Black flies were bad enough.

Sorry to hear about the shingles, they are a rough customer.

For some reason I am particularly susceptible to the Chicken Pox virus. I had them twice when I was a kid (age 4 and age 14) and have had 3 bouts with the shingles as an adult.

The last time around my doctor used one of the anti- viral drugs in concert with something to help with the itching.

It usually takes me around 4-6 weeks to get over a flare up.

From what my doctor told me the shingles can be a lifelong companion (like mine seem to be) or a one hit wonder (I truly hope yours are this variety).

Good luck, I hope your shingles leave soon.

Oh, calamine lotion helps me stave off the itch. You might want to try some.

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My son had 'em and barely even noticed. Had an outbreak on his back, but it was extremely mild and didn't last any time at all. Very close to the same time an older friend of mine got a case over his eye and spent a couple of trips to the ER and had all sorts of problems. Terrible pains all over his head, headaches, passed out. etc. Amazing how it can affect different people so differently. I certainly hope that yours is a mild case. Sounds like if you're already a week in, it probably isn't gonna be too bad. Hope you feel better soon.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Core,

I recently had shingles 2 months ago. I'm 39 y.o. and somewhat uncommon at my age since literature indicates shingles are more prevalent at ages 50 and older.

I was prescribed Valtrex (3 pills per day for 10 days) to kill the herpes virus. I was also prescribed Vicoden to minimize the pain as it pretty much did not work.

UtahLefty was right as it is a active form of the chicken pox virus. Anyone who has not had chicken pox or the cp shot, can contract chicken pox from you. You should definitely avoid being around new born children and women who are pregnant since you can transfer the virus.

My bout with shingles lasted 3-4 weeks as the 1st 2-3 weeks were the most bothersome. The Valtrex is prescribed to kill the vurus within 10-14 days.

The rash is observed hemisherically and usually follows the main nerve line from your pectoral area , under your armpit, to the center of your back and scapula. My symptoms were fatigue, severe itching and discomfort, and plain misery for 2 weeks.

Your health should be back to normal after another 3-4 weeks as your in my prayers corelokt.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Feels like an occasional electric shock, like an electric fence, to sometimes lasting 5 minutes at the most. Could be worse, I consider myself lucky. I worked as a nurse some 15 years ago, and know enough to know mine ain't all that bad. Thing is, now I take care of the mentally challenged, and sincerely hope none of them get chicken-pox because of being around me.

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ewww sorry to hear it...BTDT ..feel better soon.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
isn't it varicella zoster? (chicken pox virus) IIRC that is a herpes virus. it's usually a relapse in adults from childhood chicken pox. no way to prevent it...just bad luck frown

Actually, a vaccine is available now to (possibly) prevent the shingles. It doesn't sound like many drs have it onhand yet, though, because it is quite expensive & insurance isn't paying for much of it, if any at all. I know an elderly person with cancer that had been given it, & ins. paid for some of it. My mom got her dr to give it to her & my dad, but they paid the full amt for it, no insurance. They were also told that it may not work effectively for everyone. My parents felt like if there was a chance it could keep them from getting it, it was worth a chance.

Corelokt- I hope you feel better soon!!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Just a suggestion, but I'm sure it would have been mentioned...Valtrex is to treat Herpes...it works on the genital kind

HOW DO WE KNOW MIGHT I ASK!!!!!!!! blush

grin

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 06/01/07.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've known several people who have had shingles, including my Grandpa. What a bummer thing to happen! I'm sorry to hear it. They don't last forever but just seems like it, it seems. Hope yours are over quickly. I don't think they ususally come back, so it's better sooner than later, I guess.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 3,597 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,774
Posts18,535,862
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.