Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm pondering a 9.3x62 build on a Mauser action and have a few questions:

1. What velocities are reachable at sane pressures for the 286 grain bullets in this caliber?

2. What is your limit for this cartridge and the game you would take on with it? (Moose, bear, African big 5, etc.)

3. Building on a 98 Mauser should just require a proper barrel with little or no other modifications, correct? No feed rail changes, etc.

4. What barrel length do you think is appropriate with this caliber?

5. In your opinion, how much real world difference on game is there between a 286 grain 9.3x62 vs. a 270 or 300 grain .375 H&H? (Assuming similar bullet selection)

It just seems that this cartridge has a lot to offer - low recoil, lots of power, good bullets (although perhaps not a lot to choose from), and the ability to do one in a reasonably priced action. Seems like it might be a great mid bore caliber for a guy who doesn't get a chance to shoot the big guns much and really doesn't need to.

Thoughts?

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I can't speak to it's performance on game, but my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 gives me 2250fps from a 286gr bullet with 55gr of Rel 15. That is under maximum by about two grains, which I like for lower recoil and quicker follow up shots. I shoot 286gr Privi Partizan bullets from Graf and Sons, and I use Graf brass which has worked very well for me. I did not like the Lyman die set I started out with and when I get ready to do another batch I'm switching to Redding dies (I load in batches of 500 after I get a good load for a gun, it's taken me a year to get down to my last box for this gun).

As for game, this is my elk gun for this year. My former elk gun was a 338 win. mag. with 210gr Nosler Partitions. I'll probably work up a load for the 286gr partition, the Privi bullets are a cup and core design.

My gun has a 20.5" barrel and handles very quick, I would think with this cartridge the gun's balance and handling will make more of a difference than velocity when it comes to choosing barrel lengths. The scope is an Aimpoint Comp 7000L, very fast and light enough to not change the balance of the gun.

Here's the gun:

[Linked Image]

Here's five shots at 50 yards from the bench; all shot from the magazine with no barrel cooling. Who say's Stutzen stocks wander barrels?

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My own CZ 550 rifle has a 23.6 barrel. With 286's I normally load 65-66 grains of Ramshot Big Game for just under 2500 fps. I have had this load pressure-tested and it is in the same range as most modern loads for other big game cartridges, around 60,000 psi, the exact pressure varying a little with the bullet.

I have taken game from deer-sized up to 1200 pounds or so with this load, out to 250 yards, with no problems. The list includes whitetails, some Texas exotics, African plains game up to kudu, and big moose. Did take it brown bear hunting once, but did not find a legal bear in 10 days of hunting.

Earlier this month I was in South Africa and got to go along on a couple of Cape buffalo hunts on a ranch where several of us were hunting. At first I just intended to photograph the hunts, but when the PH's involved found I had some 286 Woodleigh solids loaded for my 9.3, they also insisted that I bring the rifle, as a sort of assistant PH. Despite being armed with .416's and .458's, they had full confidence in the 9.3 and solids as a buffalo round--especially one to aid in "weighing down" a hit but escasping bull with more lead.

Nevertheless, I have had enough buffalo experience to prefer a .416 for my own Cape buffalo hunting. It would be fine leopard round with the quick-expanding 232 Norma Oryx, and no doubt with 286's it would work fine on lion. But for the really big stuff I like more bullet weight.

Generally I have used Nosler Partitions when using 286's in my rifle. These have the partition moved farther forward than in most Noslers, and so tend to retain 85-90% of their weight and penetrate very deeply. The 286 Barnes Triple Shock is also a good one, and will slightly out-penetrate the Nosler, but not by much. Norma also makes the bonded-core Oryx in 286 9.3. I haven't tried it, but have used the Oryx 156 7mm will great results on game up to 400 pounds in the 7x57, so no doubt the bigger version would work very well.

The biggest difference I see between the 286 9.3x62 and the 300 .375 H&H is a noticeable reduction in recoil. They seem to kill about the same. Then again, I see less difference in "killing power" between many cartridges than some other observers.

I have also used some tougher 250-grain bullets in the 9.3x62, such as the Nosler AccuBond, North Fork and Barnes TSX. These shoot flatter (expecially the AB) and at 2650 fps or so pretty much duplicate the factory .338 Win. Mag load. I have used the AB on what Elmer Keith called a "raking" shot on a big bull kudu, the bullet breaking the right hind leg and going through the chest, so these are also good loads for big game--again, without the recoil of the belted magnum. I would estimate the felt recoil of the 250 loads at about 2/3 that of a typical .338 with 250's.

A standard 98 Mauser shouldn't require any changes to feed 9.3x62 cartridges easily. As for barrel length, I have also owned one of the CZ 550 Mannlichers with 20" barrel, and muzzle velocities weren't all that different than with the 23.6 barrel, using the same loads. In fact, one was FASTER in the shorter barrel. If getting a custom rifle built, would probably go with a 22" barrel.

There are more 9.3 bullets available than ever these days. Hornady just started making a 286 for their factory load in 9.3x74R, which should also work fine in the 9.3x62. In fact, I am kind of amazed that an American rifle company hasn't brought out a 9.3x62 yet.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oregon45,

Thanks for the info and the pic. That's a fine looking rifle and would be the one I would most likely choose if I were to buy a factory 9.3x62. How's the handling with the short barrel? I assume it balances well so it should feel very lively in the hands. How's the trigger on the CZ from the factory? I also notice that your rifle in the picture looks a bit different from the one shown on the CZ web site. Perhaps the one they are showing is one of the short action detachable mag models - I think the bottom metal on the web site pic is ugly but I don't seen any of that on your rifle.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
MD -

Thanks for the info and the voice of experience. I appreciate it. I doubt that I would have the chance to hunt buffalo with this gun and it sounds like it would be sufficient for most things short of that. I would think that something starting with a "4" would be better for buff, rhino, elephant but I also would not shoot that rifle enough to get good with it. Seems that I would be better off with something smaller like a 9.3 that I would also hunt other things with and therefore become more proficient with the rifle.

What are yout thoughts on the CZ in general? Trigger, barrel quality, fit / finish, bedding, etc.? I like Oregon45's rifle and would probably choose that one if buying off the shelf.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 9.3 earned it's reputation in the hunting field. It's not flash but is highly effective on virtually any game. I have used it, and the virtually identical 9.5x62 (aka 375 Scovill) on large Brown Bears and, like John, have noticed no difference in field performance between it and the 375 H&H.
it was designed as a cartridge for large game that could simply be chambered in standard length actions like the M-98. I had one of my shot-out, pre-64 M-70 win re-barreled to 9.3x62.
I'll let John answer your questions on the CZ , but my experiences with them in the larger bores has been positive. Their barrels are usually very good. The triggers are a bit complicated for a serious dangerous game rifle but work well and once you get used to the set feature you might like it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Stanimal: Every 9.3 and 30-06 or 270 or 6.5x55 that I have seen has a steel floorplate; I agree that the short action caliber CZ's are ugly.

The gun is very lively, and comes up quick. The humpback stock puts my eye right in line with the iron sights and isn't bad with the red dot. The angle of the stock makes the length of pull seem shorter than it is (13.5") and contributes to the speed of follow up shots by reducing muzzle rise. The gun does kick a bit but being light makes up for that.

The trigger is very nice. I have shot it set and unset and have it dialed in at 4lbs unset which is what I use most of the time. The trigger has a bit of creep but little overtravel. Personally, with this caliber in a light rifle I don't mind a bit of creep in the trigger, makes letting up easier when I realize I'm aiming at a stump and not an elk! grin The trigger is easy to adjust and the action doesn't need to be taken out of the stock to do it.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/27/07.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks! Your experience with the large bears is helpful. I could see this kind of rifle on animals like big bears and even the african cats and it's good to hear from guys like you and John who have experience with it on that class of game. I actually find those animals more interesting to think about hunting than the thick skinned stuff like elephants (although Cape Buff would be pretty cool anyway). Sounds like there is a lot of respect for the 9.3x62 in the field.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One other question for you - can you describe the safety on the CZ? I have heard it's a 3 position but I haven't handled one and I am not exactly sure of it's operation. Does it move in a vertical arc along the right side of the action as opposed to the Win 70's horizontal arc on the bolt shroud? I assume back is locked, middle is safe but allows bolt operation, and forward is fire (just like other 3 position safeties) - is this correct? Does it seem to be an easy safety to manipulate quickly and with gloves on?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You're correct on how the safety operates, it is easy to use but I've never used it with gloves on. I like it because the wing is large enough that I can use my right thumb to push it off when I have the gun at my shoulder; it is also easy to put back on, easier, in my opinion, than the M70 safety which is fast to take off but slower to put back on. Both releasing the safety and putting it back on can be done with the thumb on my CZ. Your mileage may vary, though, as I've heard from several people that they don't like the CZ's safety, and many replace them with three- position units. Me? I took the $250 that a three position safety costs and used it to buy reloading components; after shooting a few hundred rounds I can work the safety just fine. grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
stanimal--

I like the CZ's in general, and have several in chamberings from .17 HMR to .416 Rigby. All are very accurate. Wood is not fancy (unless ordered, as on my .416) but they almost always shoot extremely well out of the box.

The trigger is fine. If you adjust it to a 3-pound unset pull, it eliminates the single-set feature. I do this with big game rifles, but leave it alone in smaller calibers. If you don't like the pull. Timney makes a great single-pull trigger.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Stanimal: I've given some thought to building 9.3's on both pre-64 Winchester's and VZ24 actions and with CZ 550's available for around $560, I don't see the savings unless you have very specific needs that can only be met by a custom rifle. And there are some. If I wanted a slimmer rifle that only held four rounds down, the CZ action would not be my choice; the CZ is also not an ideal candidate for a "light weight" rifle but unless you already have the components in hand, an off the shelf CZ gets you a good barrel, good trigger, nice wood if you shop around, and a finely finished rifle.

I bought mine used for $400... grin They're out there...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know it's true that a good commercial gun these days is MUCH easier and usually MUCH less expensive than a custom Mauser. I also know it makes more sense to go that way from a purely practical standpoint. What it doesn't help me with is the long standing itch I've had to build a custom Mauser. No matter what else I have bought or even built I still have this itch to build a Mauser exactly the way I want it. It's not really about a specific need other than the need to see a sporter take shape from an old military action.

I may, however, in my quest to be sure I'm building exactly what I want - buy a CZ and use it for a while as I expect this Mauser build to take a while. That sounds like a good reason to buy a 550 FS in 9.3x62 to me. It is definitely less expensive to get something that you find out later isn't just what you wanted if that something is factory and not custom. grin In other words - I want to get this build right the first time.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oregon 45, cool rifle!!! I have one like this that I bought off of a well known outfitter who posts at the Campfire:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will take it to South Africa next year. I am going to use the 250 grain TSX's at around 2550 fps. I like the looks of those CZ 550 FS that I am going to have to get one.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
RAc: If I were building a 9.3 it would look like that!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have taken a number of animals from springbuck to eland with the 9.3x62 driving the 250 gr Barnes X to 2650 fps using VV-N550 powder in Norma brass. A very effective combo that shoots flat and hits hard. It is the only load I use in my 9.3's, a Husqvarna and an FN.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tony how much Viht N550?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Mule Deer:

Regarding the Ramshot load you listed above that is at about 2500 for a 286 gr bullet. Is this a load for a "modern" rifle only or would you guess it would OK for and old Husqvarna Mauser 98.

When I look at this load, I see a load that should be REAL close to a .375 H&H. Is this what you are saying? .375 H&H power with 9.3 recoil?

Also, have you seen much variation in groups (in your rifle) between Partitions, ABs, TSXs, Woodlieghs etc. I've seen less difference in bullet groups in my 9.3x62 than in any other caliber I own. It shows little preference - how about your experience?

Thanks for your time.

Lance

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How "old" a Husquvarna? If it's one of the typical rifles built on the Husky Mauser action, it should be fine. This load was tested at 60,000 psi. (The reason it comes so close to the .375 H&H factory load, of course, is that the .375's standard factory 300-grain load is somewhat underloaded by modern standards. Plus the 286-grain bullet. It is possible to drive a 285-grain bullet, such as the Speer GS, to 2700 in the .375.)

I have gotten very fine accuracy from about any 9.3 bullet on the market, whether in my 9.3x62 or other 9.3 rounds.

JB

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stanimal

Buying the CZ as a using rifle while you're doing up the custom 98 is a VERY good idea, for exactly your stated reasons. One other thing to consider: after the custom jobs done up, keeping the CZ as a loaner/spare rifle works out pretty well. Thre's no need for two different ammo calibers when packing, and if the hunting gets rough you can spare the custom piece's appearence. Just my .02$.

Quick question: Does any one else here associate the 9.3x62 with Finn Aagard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 994 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.