-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For some of my "carbine pattern" AR's I'd like to experiment with a fixed buttstock. I'd also like to try a buttplate that is 90° to the bore. I've got Magpuls on most of them, and they usually have a little flex even when locked down, and also have a buttplate that is slightly tilted, which I assume is to help control muzzle rise in rapid fire? Accuracy in slow fire is what I'm chasing.

The plain old A2 stock works pretty well for me, as well as the Magpul PRS ( adjustable, heavy) but these are designed to bolt to a rifle length buffer tube. I am wondering if someone has a stock of similar function, that clamps securely directly on a carbine buffer tube. Or should I just bite the bullet and install a rifle tube? TIA

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know of any A2 stocks that will fit on a carbine tube but have you tried a SOPMOD stock?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have not, so thanks, I found a picture at Midway and it looks interesting

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Checkout this thread huntsman22 put a Doublestar ace on his, I got one and like.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../Search/true/re-freefloatin#Post14124266

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
For some of my "carbine pattern" AR's I'd like to experiment with a fixed buttstock. I'd also like to try a buttplate that is 90° to the bore. I've got Magpuls on most of them, and they usually have a little flex even when locked down, and also have a buttplate that is slightly tilted, which I assume is to help control muzzle rise in rapid fire? Accuracy in slow fire is what I'm chasing.

The plain old A2 stock works pretty well for me, as well as the Magpul PRS ( adjustable, heavy) but these are designed to bolt to a rifle length buffer tube. I am wondering if someone has a stock of similar function, that clamps securely directly on a carbine buffer tube. Or should I just bite the bullet and install a rifle tube? TIA

I'm going to go out on a limb and say damn I don't know what I'd do if I were in your situation.. Those rifle length buffer tubes are like gold. Far too pricey for the working man.. I feel for you man... Also, last I heard you have either option for mounting the gen 3 PRS. Either carbine length or rifle length tube. I only have 3 gen 3 stocks and a couple gen 2's, so maybe I don't know... Also, If I were chasing accuracy and wanted a better handling rifle I'd go with the rifle length gas system. Probably just me though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by charleeontop
Checkout this thread huntsman22 put a Doublestar ace on his, I got one and like.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../Search/true/re-freefloatin#Post14124266

Interesting, thanks

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I'm going to go out on a limb and say damn I don't know what I'd do if I were in your situation.. Those rifle length buffer tubes are like gold. Far too pricey for the working man.. I feel for you man... Also, last I heard you have either option for mounting the gen 3 PRS. Either carbine length or rifle length tube. I only have 3 gen 3 stocks and a couple gen 2's, so maybe I don't know... Also, If I were chasing accuracy and wanted a better handling rifle I'd go with the rifle length gas system. Probably just me though..

I did not know the new PRS will fit a carbine tube, so that's good to know, thanks.

I am also thinking about making a tapered spacer that goes under the recoil pad on a standard Magpul ACS or similar stock, that allows the pad to sit at 90° to the bore.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's a fixed carbine stock from Magpul, with a 12.3" LOP.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319195903

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a few Magpul fixed stocks and they are sturdy. If you need more length they make thicker recoil pads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
White Oak has match adjustable stocks from this basic one on up to just shy of $500.
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/lower-parts/buttstock-parts/woa-adjustable-buttstock.html

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I had this on one of my ARs. For me, it is about 3/4" too short, which it would easy enough to insert a spacer of some sort. I do not have it mounted on anything at the moment.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That Magpul fixed stock is what came to mind for me too.

Another option, and this is not really what you asked for (it's an adjustable carbine stock) but might address your complaints - the Rogers Super Stock. When adjusted right (the lock has a simple screw adjustment) it locks up solidly, with none of the wobble that the Magpul and other brands have. The butt plate isn't 90° but might be close enough to do what you want, depends how important that detail is to you. It's also a very light stock, significantly lighter than a basic Magpul MOE stock.
They are sorta hard to find, seems like not that many people know about them, but Wilson Combat sells them on their rifles, and they're available a few other places for usually $40-$50. If you don't care about color, Durkin Tactical has the silver (really just gray) for $18, I just ordered another from them myself: https://www.durkintactical.com/product/rogers-super-stock-mil-spec-silver/

Here is one of mine, this is the "silver" model.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Yondering; 03/09/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
That Magpul fixed stock is what came to mind for me too.

Another option, and this is not really what you asked for (it's an adjustable carbine stock) but might address your complaints - the Rogers Super Stock. When adjusted right (the lock has a simple screw adjustment) it locks up solidly, with none of the wobble that the Magpul and other brands have. The butt plate isn't 90° but might be close enough to do what you want, depends how important that detail is to you. It's also a very light stock, significantly lighter than a basic Magpul MOE stock.
They are sorta hard to find, seems like not that many people know about them, but Wilson Combat sells them on their rifles, and they're available a few other places for usually $40-$50. If you don't care about color, Durkin Tactical has the silver (really just gray) for $18, I just ordered another from them myself: https://www.durkintactical.com/product/rogers-super-stock-mil-spec-silver/

Here is one of mine, this is the "silver" model.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks - The MBA-4 stock looks interesting as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I built an AR and put this stock on it. I really like it for it's compactness. But, it is a tad short for me and I gave it to my daughter in law is who is much shorter and more petite than me. Although I may consider it again for another short rifle I'm thinking of building. It's a truck gun kind of stock.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.