Hop To
Page 12 of 26 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 25 26
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good read.....the ragheads would still be herding sheep and goats all over the desert if it weren't for Americans. Dumbasses.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-can-ill-afford-oil-price-war-it-started

JG, what do you think of the retired head of Exxon saying oil would go to 20 this year?

Which one, Jag ? Lee Raymond ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by broomd

Some of us 'little guys' smelled bottom yesterday.
The OXY (and MRO) I picked up yesterday and doubled down on this morning popped 14% and 21% respectively by market close.

You realize that bounce up is just as, if not MORE, volatile than it's move yesterday? If I were in your shoes, I'd be back out of that ASAP and lock up that (lucky) profit. My educated guess is that it gives up half those gains tomorrow, and starts a 3 month spiral down to under $10.

Look - OXY is a HEAVILY leveraged shale company. At $12B market valuation, that have SIGNIFICANTLY more debt than Cheveron, a $160B company. Let that sink in. They are the #1 producer in the Permian basin, where their cost per barrel is now hovering right around the current cost per barrel on the market, which, oh by the way, experts think will drop down into the $20's.. I have news for you: Oil under $30 is a non-starter for OXY. They cannot pull it out of the Permian for that cheap. Game over.

And today, Saudi Arabia just promised to jack up their oil production, in a global market for oil that is CRATERING. They are augmenting their 41 tanker fleet with extra private ships, and are runnign simulations on how their economy will look at oil all the way down to $12 bbl.

There is a reason OXY announced slashed dividends and reduced capital spending (by more than 30%) going forward- and it's not because life is good in the oil industry. It's panic, and a fight to stay solvent, ESPECIALLY for the shale producers. The botton for energy is months away, but I will be there with you, when it's real.

But... your mileage may vary.

I think we are in the same camp, I’ve seen this movie before as the bear takes hold. Coronavirus is just getting warmed up, so expect lots of bad news soon, add oil on top of that. Lots highly leveraged are companies are probably going to zero soon. A good time to get small.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RJY66

What do you think of the odds of the shale guys getting a bailout from Uncle Sugar? I don't think Trump would like to see Russia and Saudi Arabia put them under.

THAT is your investment strategy? That my taxpayer dollars will bail out your poorly planned and ill-researched decisions??? Instead of investing in solid industries and companies with a reasonable chance of success, throw some lawn darts at companies bouncing like dead cats and assume you'll be made whole?

You by chance voting for Biden this election season?

Geez dude, chill out and breathe!

If you accused me of voting for Biden in person I'd have to challenge you to a duel! laugh

Your and my tax dollars, along with interest robbed from savers by the central banks bailed out the entire system 10 years ago. Who is to say it won't happen again in this case when/if things go down hill a little more and they start handing out money? Its called a wildcard.

I've been in the markets for 30 years. Let's say I've done alright and leave it at that. I can assure you that I am not here looking for advice from you or anyone else.

So, just hop off your high horse for a second. You are not the only one here that's seen a thing or two.

PS. I haven't bought any oil stocks this century.

Last edited by RJY66; 03/10/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

What do you think of the odds of the shale guys getting a bailout from Uncle Sugar? I don't think Trump would like to see Russia and Saudi Arabia put them under.

THAT is your investment strategy? That my taxpayer dollars will bail out your poorly planned and ill-researched decisions??? Instead of investing in solid industries and companies with a reasonable chance of success, throw some lawn darts at companies bouncing like dead cats and assume you'll be made whole?

If you accused me of voting for Biden in person I'd have to challenge you to a duel! laugh

Your and my tax dollars, along with interest robbed from savers by the central banks bailed out the entire system 10 years ago. Who is to say it won't happen again in this case when/if things go down hill a little more and they start handing out money? Its called a wildcard.

I've been in the markets for 30 years. Let's say I've done alright and leave it at that. I can assure you that I am not here looking for advice from you or anyone else.

So, just hop off your high horse for a second. You are not the only one here that's seen a thing or two.

It's all good my friend, and my apologies! I haven't been investing as long as you (25 years here) but like you, have done well enough. I just have a long history in oil and it is an industry I follow extremely closely.

Didn't mean to be on a high horse, this is just a particular investement sector, for a number of personal reasons, that I am both passionate about, and highly skilled at.

I'd hate to see someone making a poor decision based on some non-chalante comments they take seriously.

But then, this is not an investement forum and we can't control those folks.

I hope you find the right spot to sell and realize those gains you saw today!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Originally Posted by broomd

OXY just cut its dividend to 11 cents from 79 today

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...-2020-03-10?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

When/if the big guys do it will probably be a bottom.

Some of us 'little guys' smelled bottom yesterday.
The OXY (and MRO) I picked up yesterday and doubled down on this morning popped 14% and 21% respectively by market close.

Did you buy and hold? What was the buy price?

I'm going to hold. I don't believe the doom and gloom we constantly hear around here. Hell, I shouldn't have bought an oil stock at all this week according to some.

Bought OXY at 17.32 yesterday and then again at 13.37 this morning after the dividend announcement. That's probably not conventional wisdom, but I suspected that if the market didn't punt it after both the temporary halt in (OXY) trading and missed dividend it would rebound. After a slight upward trend I piled in. It did bounce and very nicely.

I bought MRO at 3.87. It's up 23% today.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am investing in oil this week, but it is some carefully calculated and leveraged short orders in a few spots. I went largely out of oil in 2018 (pretty good timing), just making shorter term plays based on some industry research since then. I will go back into oil with some more specific stocks for the longer term, in 2-6 months, depending on how all this plays out.

They say you can't time the market, which I 100% agree with. I won't even pretend to suggest I can pick individual stocks anywhere else. Oil though, there are some key indicators (economic, political, and others) that drive the end stock prices, that make it ripe for cherry picking.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

It's all good my friend, and my apologies! I haven't been investing as long as you (25 years here) but like you, have done well enough. I just have a long history in oil and it is an industry I follow extremely closely.

Didn't mean to be on a high horse, this is just a particular investement sector, for a number of personal reasons, that I am both passionate about, and highly skilled at.

I'd hate to see someone making a poor decision based on some non-chalante comments they take seriously.

But then, this is not an investement forum and we can't control those folks.

I hope you find the right spot to sell and realize those gains you saw today!

Apology accepted and thanks for it! Just an internet misunderstanding.

I'm not the one with the gains to take.....unfortunately for me that is the other fella! laugh

I remember a similar situation back in the late 90's up till about 2000. I was buying the drillers mainly Transocean and Falcon. The idea was that they had such a backlog that they were going to be able to survive the downturn which they did more or less, but the stocks still got hammered along with the oil price. I bought way to early, eventually came out, but in the interim thought I was gonna go broke! Oil got all the way down to $13 a barrel back then I think. So believe me I understand being a little cautious.

I have not messed with oil stocks since then. I am starting to watch them now because Monday's crash got my attention and if I go in its probably gonna be with Exxon and or Shell.

Anyway, I could sense that you knew the oil industry and that is why I raised the issue of govt assistance for them at some point. Govt plays such a big role in the markets now and IMO, if this is the start of a significant downturn they are gonna fight it tooth and nail with "monetary policy" that we probably have not though of yet.

Last edited by RJY66; 03/10/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Originally Posted by Calvin
We could see 18k by the end of the month....

We could see 30k by the end of the month...

Gamblers, place your bets!
Kyle Bass thinks there is more downside.
I’ll take the under at this point.

Dow closes up 4.89% , S&P 500 +4.94% , NASDAQ +4.95%

I’m still taking the under ...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
interesting that Russia and the Saudi's prop up their oil industry under the assumption that we won't

you can make the argument that our oil production is a matter of national security

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
How low will Ford go before Ol Toot can’t resist any longer?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The PE at $6 in 172, Debt to equity ~500%.

That's like dating a old ugly gal that used to be hot. laugh

John Wayne
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

The PE at $6 in 172, Debt to equity ~500%.

That's like dating a old ugly gal that used to be hot. laugh

Heh!

You bout said it all and then some!

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OXY took a pounding today, down nearly 18%, and broke clean through its $12.04 support floor.

Hope you all locked in those gains.

A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from sanctionlaw.com]

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a young man, with money saved up. Is there anything I should be doing right now? Regarding to stocks and investments.

Last edited by Travis13; 03/11/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Travis13
As a young man, with money saved up. Is there anything I should be doing right now? Regarding to stocks and investments.

Don't take advice here whatever you do. 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243

lol

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243

Probably the best advice.

I'd hang on until it bottoms and then invest in some quality companies. Companies like Apple, Amazon, Microsoft,, Boeing, etc are not going anyplace but might take a beating for a while.

John Wayne
Page 12 of 26 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 3,403 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,746
Posts18,535,447
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.