-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had an issue with lead fragments using a 243 with a 85 grain cup and core bullet. But if you are concerned, it is great to have a copper bullet to use.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 303savage
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Brother uses one at times. I loaded up 100 grain partitions for him. Always worked fine. At one time he used 90 or 95 grain SST. Hit a big doe in the shoulder. Never fount the deer. That is when we switched to partitions
My wife and 2 daughters all use 243's, i switched to hornady 100 grain and nosler partition 100 grain 3 years ago, with much better blood trails and much easier time finding their deer.

Well most of the 243 ranters are all about having to go "find" their deer. In my experience with the 243 it seems that having to go find the deer you shot happens more often with the 243 than with somewhat more powerful/bigger bullets.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rickt300
Brother uses one at times. I loaded up 100 grain partitions for him. Always worked fine. At one time he used 90 or 95 grain SST. Hit a big doe in the shoulder. Never fount the deer. That is when we switched to partitions
My wife and 2 daughters all use 243's, i switched to hornady 100 grain and nosler partition 100 grain 3 years ago, with much better blood trails and much easier time finding their deer.

Well most of the 243 ranters are all about having to go "find" their deer. In my experience with the 243 it seems that having to go find the deer you shot happens more often with the 243 than with somewhat more powerful/bigger bullets.

Oh, I love these posts !

So enlightening.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Goat

My Dad and brother then moved on to the 270 and the issue of lost deer went away! Confidence was restored! .

Sometimes decisions need to be made for various reasons. I have been told by the landowner of a deer lease not to use anything smaller than a .270 on his land. He was referring to my 25-06.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Oh, I love these posts !

So enlightening.

My nephew has shot a few deer, pigs and a coyote with a 243 and 95 grain SST's. We haven't had to do any real looking. Of course we've recovered everything so we really do know how they were hit. grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's what I'm gonna do. We put 100 deer in a pen. I am gonna shoot them in the lungs with my .243 and any bullet you pick. I will give you 1000 dollars for every one that lives. You give me 10 dollars for every one that dies.

Let's see who comes out ahead. Anyone willing?

Thought not.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/11/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by Goat

My Dad and brother then moved on to the 270 and the issue of lost deer went away! Confidence was restored! .

Sometimes decisions need to be made for various reasons. I have been told by the landowner of a deer lease not to use anything smaller than a .270 on his land. He was referring to my 25-06.

Well he's a fuqking dumbass

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Here's what I'm gonna do. We put 100 deer in a pen. I am gonna shoot them in the lungs with my .243 and any bullet you pick. I will give you 1000 dollars for every one that lives. You give me 10 dollars for every one that dies.

Thought not.

Prezactly . . . . . .it ain't the 243's fault people can't shoot.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

Thought not.

Funny post! Personally I don't hunt deer in pens but would take bets that I could do that using a 22 magnum. I have used the 243 over the years on many deer and never lost one. On the other hand comparing the 243 to larger cartridges and considering the number of times a deer made it 100 yards after being hit well with a 243 compared to a 7-08, 308 or 7x57 I figure the ratio is 3 to 1. About the same for not leaving a good blood trail. At my deer lease north of Guthrie Texas which is also crawling with feral hogs and a heaping helping of coyotes leaving a deer overnight usually means you end up with a pile of well cleaned bones. The lease has a lot of what is called "shinnery" which is a sort of Oak tree bush that gets pretty tall but mostly less than 4 feet tall, getting through it is a chore for a person. Not so hard for a deer or a feral hog. If a deer gets a hundred yards back into this stuff and it gets dark while you are looking for it that pile of bones will be all you have in the morning. The reason I didn't have any issues when using a 243 is because I only took neck and high shoulder shots. I killed some big hogs with that rifle also. Over the years on that lease we had a bunch of guys lose deer simply because they treated the 243 like it was a good all around deer rifle which it is not. In open country it works well enough but the sometimes thin to non existent blood trails cost these guys a lot of deer. One of the guys that only used his 243 for 2 years before he went to a 308 shot 11 deer and recovered 8. And a couple of the deer we recovered needed some serious tracking skills to find. In the next 6 years he never lost a deer because they didn't generally go very far and if they did the 150 grain Core Lokt's left a nice bloody trail for him to follow. I used to hunt a lot in Wyoming and there the 243 did pretty good on both Antelope and Mule deer as you could usually see which way they went or never got out of sight before going down. May sound odd but I got the distinct impression that Mule deer were not as hard to kill as Whitetails. Another point, mostly a rifle in 243 costs the same as one in 7-08 or 308, neither is known as a hard kicker either so why not hedge your bet and get the bigger round?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Oh, I love these posts !

So enlightening.

My nephew has shot a few deer, pigs and a coyote with a 243 and 95 grain SST's. We haven't had to do any real looking. Of course we've recovered everything so we really do know how they were hit. grin

Perzactly where I was going !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Another point, mostly a rifle in 243 costs the same as one in 7-08 or 308, neither is known as a hard kicker either so why not hedge your bet and get the bigger round?

Some of us have learned to kill deer quickly and easily with a 223 and would be "hedging bets" using a 243. Grins.

Seriously, I killed a 7 point this year and watched a nephew kill another 7 point with a 62 grain Federal Fusion this past fall. My buck collapsed on the spot (spine shot) and his (behind the shoulder) took two steps and fell dead.

I dressed both bucks. The wounds were horrendous - they looked like they were shot with a .270 or 7-08 with a softish bullet.

Besides, it's more fun to watch events unfold in the scope. Save the 7-08 for elk.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
TP, I am sure you look at the .223 as an awesome deer rifle in Tx.. But deer are different else where, and not shot over a pile of corn.. I shot a couple in south Tx. meat does, my pal said shot that one it is a big one.. When i got to it I thought I shot a fawn, he said no that is a bit doe.. My golden retrievers and lots bigger than that big doe.. A ,223 would have worked, I have shot coyotes almost as big...

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fascinating story. I often hunt in New Mexico and the north Texas panhandle where the deer are heavy and the ranges can be very long, but I don't find deer hard to kill there either.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thought not.

Which proves what exactly? The same test can be done with a .22 LR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Fascinating story. I often hunt in New Mexico and the north Texas panhandle where the deer are heavy and the ranges can be very long, but I don't find deer hard to kill there either.

I bet you do run into huge deer that far "north".

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by moosemike

Thought not.

Right. And the point is if you shot a deer with a 243 and it didn't die its on you, not the 243. Because if you can shoot even a 22 would work.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
TP, I am sure you look at the .223 as an awesome deer rifle in Tx.. But deer are different else where, and not shot over a pile of corn.. I shot a couple in south Tx. meat does, my pal said shot that one it is a big one.. When i got to it I thought I shot a fawn, he said no that is a bit doe.. My golden retrievers and lots bigger than that big doe.. A ,223 would have worked, I have shot coyotes almost as big...

I have killed a lot of big deer in montana, and idaho with a 222 and 55 grain bullets. That includes a big 180" mule deer buck that we guessed at 3 00 lbs. He was a monster in body size. I shot him in the chest, and he never even took one step. Now a days I have moved up in gun and kill about everything with a 243. They don't make it far with that either.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I bet you do run into huge deer that far "north".

I consider a 300 lb mulie to be a heavy buck.

Feel free to post a pic of any deer you ever killed....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

I didn't say they were hard to kill, I said under some circumstances they can be hard to find after they run a hundred yards or so, especially with a weak blood trail. In the Texas panhandle a lot of that country is wide open, same as for parts of New Mexico. Many of the Bucks I took in the area north of Guthrie in King county were some over 200 pounds, not giants but good sized deer for Texas. That said I would like to see a picture of a 300 pound Texas panhandle buck myself.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

Thought not.

Right. And the point is if you shot a deer with a 243 and it didn't die its on you, not the 243. Because if you can shoot even a 22 would work.

The other point is that the vast majority of deer are not shot in pens or under the perfect conditions doing so offers.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.