K
Tombstone tactical has Ruger 556 MPRs for $589 delivered

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
gonna just toss this out there... I've been working on a bolt gun 458 win mag. Did all kinds of work to it, bedding, stiffening stock, etc... melonited and so on.

Doing load work I'm not seeing the 1 inch groups most 458 supposedly will do easily. I'm more like 2-4 inch groups at 100 easily. I"d prefer at least 2 or less consistently for my guiding gun.

Then I grab a PSA 249 dollar kit gun, IE I had the lower, the rest came with... its a few years old. Put the first wild guess load in the gun and WTF... shoots basically an inch at 100 with nothing done to it. Switch to the barnes bullets I want in it and again inside of 3 test loads I"m at an inch or just under. Granted not shooting 10 shot groups but a cheap gun, not floated etc...

I'm not saying they will hold up and et all, but you said for screwing around...

If I was going accuracy White Oak. Or build my own.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And thats a stamped 7 twist with 50 grain bullets.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
been through about a dozen PSA guns now, I just put em together and shoot them for a while. get the itch for another and start over again. not one has disappointed me in accuracy or reliability. there are lots of more expensive upper and lowers but PSA just keeps on doing it for me.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
been there done that... I would keep the sp1 as is and buy a new rifle, they are so cheap these days, just get one of the PSA guns with an fn barrel.

Good suggestion

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by acy
I have a SP1 that I bought in the early 80s. I want to get an extra upper for it that I can scope (I have a carry handle scope mount and don't care for it). Looking to go 18 or 20 inch. Will use for plinking, varmints and maybe some deer. More accurate is always better than less, but I won't be entering any long range matches. I have home/property defense covered with a 16" piston operated, aimpoint, quad rail, etc. Looking for just screwing around. Any suggestions?

Good question. I look forward to seeing the answers you get. I know some guys around here use green mountain barrels, some use ballistic advantage and some use a local company called bison armory. I'm half tempted to try them out, as they are local and offer a great accuracy guarantee. From what I hear, they make some pretty accurate upper assemblies... I'm not going to guarantee you get "1/2" or better (1/4" ha ha, rolling here), but they do have a 1 moa guarantee if you use good ammo... Hell, I wouldn't even guarantee my rifles to shoot "1/2" and I know they shoot better than most here. Just sayin... wink I'd also bet money that they shoot better than the above mentioned "1/2" shooter. Truth... Oh wait, FNG probably talking 3 shot groups. Ok, I understand now... whistle

Green mtn makes a great barrel.. best group I got was 10 shots for .860.. that's with 77 Sierra's. But the op not looking for that. If the op plans shooting green tip stuff. Then buy a psa and go shoot..

Good sugestion

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tim_K
Another vote here for White Oak. I've probably had ten of their barrels and they have all been hammers. With a decent handload they shoot into 1/2" with ease. 1/4" is totally possible.

Sure they do..

That 6 WOA still giving you issues?

Sure it is. That's why I was trying to sell it to you the other day... You know I only sell inaccurate pos rifles... grin whistle I'm not going to say they shoot 1/2" or 1/4" especially here, but I'll throw out some targets I've shot with it. I'd really like to see some of those "1/2 and 1/4" " rifles posted in the black rifle challenge here. You just don't see them shooting like that, not even the woa... Here's how mine does:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not even close to a "1/2"" rifle... I put more faith in my compass lake chambered windham weaponry barrels than I do the WOA... Now the OP wants an upper, I really like my Northtech defense upper with WW varmint exterminator barrel. I also like my no name upper with the WW varmint exterminator barrel. They just shoot very well and are extremely predictable:

If I were just looking for a good upper, I'd look at Northtech defense and look into a WW barrel. They are on sale right now, I guess...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the guys in the rifle club uses a 6 WOA, only reason i asked if you were having issues is because he seems to have issues all the time. I seriously thought about piecing on together too shoot 115 otm be sweet out to 600yds but if you were having issues I wasn’t going to mess with it. I also looked at WOA never has any barrels available. Glad to see yours is shooting very well for you.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.