Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments, coming from somebody who has owned a high-quality borescope for over 15 years, and looked through at least 100 barrels a year with it since:

1) Nobody can tell whether a barrel will shoot well from a borescope--even if it's pitted all the way through.

2) Tiny little "defects" are REALLY common in many great-shooting barrels.

3) "Fire-lapping" will not take out tiny defects like those shown in the photos, unless they're pretty close to the chamber. And even if it does, there's no reason the barrel will shoot better. In fact it may shoot worse.

4) Same deal as (3) with so-called "breaking-in" a barrel by shooting/cleaning repeatedly.

5) ALL rebored barrels are cut-rifled. Nobody has found any other way to do it.

6) Sounds like a lot of folks here want to start another schidt-storm over something they have VERY little experience with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
HR IC

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I absolutely disagree with #6.

Just observations, curiosity and very civil comments from people who want learn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
I absolutely disagree with #6.

Just observations, curiosity and very civil comments from people who want learn.

Yep, me too. I REALLY appreciate Mule Deer's comments (at least 1-5) because I was very leery of the recommendations to fire lap. I didn't think it was indicated at all here. I have no reason to suspect my two new barrels are not going to shoot great, and I'll post the results here, when I get them, to provide more data.
To recap this thread, SU35 had some seemingly non-typical "potholes" in his newly rebored barrel. So when my two new (and first ever) JES rebores arrived, I borrowed my buddy's borescope to do my (first ever) bore inspection. And based on my big sample size of TWO (OK, maybe I don't TOTALLY disagree with comment #6) it does look like SU35's bore might be a bit aberrant. I did this not to start a "schidt-storm", but to provide SU35 with something with which to compare his new barrel. When I saw a dramatic improvement in the appearance of my .338 barrel after nothing but a thorough cleaning, I posted that too, again as kind of a "it ain't so bad" encouragement.
I have not noted any particular pontificating here but maybe I'm not as discerning as some. Seems like a nice civil thread.

Cheers.
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/15/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not to argue but conventional lapping would improve the looks of those inclusions and subsequent fubar cuts. It may or may not improve how it shoots or reduce fouling, but it could. If done properly it is not likely to reduce accuracy but could make it necessary to re-cut the throat lead and crown. Typically you shorten a barrel by at least an inch and then re-crown after lapping. I wouldn't do this unless it shot really badly and then I would see if Jes could bore it out to .375 or larger.

Just shoot the damn thing and if it fouls use Dyna Bore Coat and shoot it some more.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not to argue but conventional lapping would improve the looks of those inclusions and subsequent fubar cuts. It may or may not improve how it shoots or reduce fouling, but it could. If done properly it is not likely to reduce accuracy but could make it necessary to re-cut the throat lead and crown. Typically you shorten a barrel by at least an inch and then re-crown after lapping. I wouldn't do this unless it shot really badly and then I would see if Jes could bore it out to .375 or larger.

Just shoot the damn thing and if it fouls use Dyna Bore Coat and shoot it some more.

As I've said to other respondents, PLEASE be clear on to whom you are replying, the original pictures posted by SU35, or the "for reference" pictures I posted in response. I'm not a bit worried about my barrels, so I don't need any more suggestions on how I should proceed.. I'll leave it to SU35 to chime in if he feels the need for any further guidance. Nor could I imagine any way one would set a barrel back at least an inch as a component of a lap job. That sounds really excessive. But what do I know?

Cheers to all,
Rex

IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm on the learning curve with bore scopes and have a no harm no foul outlook on all this.

I had a great conversation with Jesse about the above photos and this has been a learning experience for me.

No storm here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This was a call out thread basicly

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I KNOW countless shooters can post similar pics from rifles Jesse rebored. I haven't even worked a load yet. Pretty excited to see what she'll do!

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

No, it was not. Sorry it was taken that way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I'm not 100% sure I know what a "call out thread" is but if you mean you think it was an attempt by a customer to disparage the work of his "vendor", I disagree. SU35 saw some weird stuff in his rebore. He posted pics so that other customers could compare what they had experienced. ONE other customer (me) responded with some pics that suggested (with no statistical validity) that maybe SU35's barrel might actually be kind of unusual. SU35 has subsequently talked to Jesse about it and it seems they are handling it just fine. We are standing by in rapt anticipation for the actual range results which will be the ultimate arbiter of [bleep] vs. shinola.
I think SU35 has been a total gentleman in this whole thread and has never disparaged JES' work.

That's about it,
Rex

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A call out thread.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SU35
I'm on the learning curve with bore scopes and have a no harm no foul outlook on all this.

I had a great conversation with Jesse about the above photos and this has been a learning experience for me.

No storm here.

What did he tell you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
A call out thread.....

UNCLE
thank you for your contribution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Brad
Too much information can be as bad (or worse) than too little information... the whole borescope thing falls right in the middle of this reality.

Take it out, shoot it, move on.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or SU35 (or both of us) but I agree 100% and have every intent of doing just that. I just got back from the shop where I free floated the .338 barrel, and mounted a good old Leupold 4x scope.

I was just commenting in general that while a borescope can be an interesting tool, its role has to be kept in perspective. Certainly one of its roles is to diagnose a barrel that is acting wonky after a high quantity of quality attempts to make it shoot, not as a predictor of a yet un-tested barrel.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A call out thread....

And just who got called out?

Certainly not Jesse (JES) as he doesn't frequent this site that I know of.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This thread really has been revealing! (Not directed at Rex, just in case).

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

I should not have said "a lot of folks," but a few definitely made comments that were pretty negative. None were you. Sorry for the inadvertent confusion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m not trying to start anything here, but there are posts suggesting using a bore snake. Many esteemed gunsmiths advise against using them in a rifle barrel. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Redneck respond to that effect. The problem is that if they get stuck, they are totally stuck.

Just sayin.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a barrel that *looked* great, but never shot very well.
WTF?!

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will repeat my previous comments:

1) Nobody can tell whether a barrel will shoot well from a borescope--even if it's pitted all the way through.

2) Tiny little "defects" are REALLY common in many great-shooting barrels.

3) "Fire-lapping" will not take out tiny defects like those shown in the photos, unless they're pretty close to the chamber. And even if it does, there's no reason the barrel will shoot better. In fact it may shoot worse.

4) Same deal as (3) with so-called "breaking-in" a barrel by shooting/cleaning repeatedly.

5) ALL rebored barrels are cut-rifled. Nobody has found any other way to do it.

....and add that I've come to these conclusions after at least 20 years of experimenting with factory barrels, most with the aid of a bore-scope. Fire-lapping is only a real solution for a FEW specific barrel problems, primarily worn throats--and then should be done just enough to solve the problem--which is one great use of a bore-scope.

Hand-lapping an already chambered and crowned bore is more often harmful, due to possible damage to the throat and, especially, the crown and bore close to the muzzle. A correctly made barrel is not just pretty smooth inside, it's correctly dimensioned. Lapping it will probably change those dimensions--which is exactly why barrelmakers who lap bores do it BEFORE the chamber and crown are cut--and then cut off some of the muzzle section.

John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.