-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
She Was the Back-bidder when I bought my Kodiak boat in '93.

Anchorage Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux and 2 associates charged with election misconduct
Politics
Anchorage legislator and 2 associates charged with election misconduct

https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/0...ociates+charged+with+election+misconduct

JUNEAU — The Alaska Department of Law has accused state Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux, R-Anchorage, and two associates of election fraud in 2018 and 2014.

The accusations were listed in charging documents filed Friday and are the result of a two-year state investigation that also involved the FBI.

According to a sworn affidavit, text messages obtained under search warrant “raised concerns that LeDoux had solicited and/or encouraged people who did not live in her district to vote in the House District 15 primary and general elections in 2018 and 2014.”

The state accuses LeDoux, her former chief of staff Lisa Simpson, and Simpson’s son, Caden Vaught, of 18 charges collectively, including five felonies and 13 misdemeanors.

“This is far from the end of the criminal justice process,” Attorney General Kevin Clarkson said during a news conference Friday.

[Earlier coverage: 17 registered voters in a single mobile home? New questions raised in East Anchorage legislative race.]

John Skidmore, head of the state’s criminal division, said all three have been issued summonses. It wasn’t immediately clear when their initial court appearances would be.

LeDoux was in the state Capitol in Juneau on Friday and declined comment.

The charges will be forwarded to a grand jury, said Skidmore. Asked whether additional charges will be filed, he said that investigations will continue but he doesn’t have a “crystal ball.”

Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux, R-Anchorage, on the first day of the legislative session on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019 at the Alaska State Capitol in Juneau. (Loren Holmes / ADN)
Buy This Photo
Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux, R-Anchorage, on the first day of the legislative session on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019 at the Alaska State Capitol in Juneau. (Loren Holmes / ADN)
The investigation began under the administration of Gov. Bill Walker and continued under the administration of Gov. Mike Dunleavy, the charging documents say.

LeDoux, though a registered Republican, has previously been criticized by the state’s Republican Party, which endorsed other Republicans in races against her. LeDoux has filed a letter of intent to seek re-election this year.

Asked whether political considerations factored into the timing of charges, Clarkson said, “No. Politics has played no part in this whatsoever.”

According to charging documents, state investigators obtained text messages from LeDoux’s phone and submitted them to outside review by the U.S. Department of Justice. That review finished in February, and charging documents indicate that investigators conducted followup interviews as late as last week.

“Multiple text messages were found that showed that LeDoux requested at least two people to vote in her district — despite their having told LeDoux that they no longer lived in the district,” charging documents state, referring to the 2014 election.

The documents quote a pair of messages sent to a prospective voter the day before the 2014 election.

“Dot, don’t worry about the legality of this,” one says.

The investigation into LeDoux began two years ago after elections officials became suspicious of activity in House District 15 during the 2018 Republican primary. Before the vote, the division received absentee ballot applications from dead voters, and after the vote, officials learned at least two absentee ballots were cast in the names of people who said they didn’t vote.

At one Muldoon mobile home park in the district, a single trailer was listed as the home of at least 17 registered Republican voters. Another trailer had at least 14 registered voters.

No charges mention those facts, and Skidmore said he could not reveal why.

The Alaska Division of Elections ultimately set aside 26 ballots, all cast in favor of LeDoux, who won the primary by more than 100 votes.

LeDoux was on the floor of the Alaska House of Representatives when the documents were released and returned to her office during a news conference called by the Department of Law.

She declined to answer questions in the hallways of the Capitol and said she would issue a written statement.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

About this Author

James Brooks

Juneau-based James Brooks covers state government, the Alaska Legislature and general assignments for the Daily News. He previously reported and edited for the Juneau Empire, Kodiak Daily Mirror and Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Archives Reprints Customer Service Contact Us Advertise Troubleshooting
© 2020 Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
About damn time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, there is that...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good.

We don't want any incompetent cheaters in our party... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a start. Even though I don't live in AK anymore I still try and stay tuned in. Cant wait to hear [bleep] talk about it Monday .

Obviously Dan's last name is a cuss word...lol

Last edited by Joel/AK; 03/15/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
It's a start. Even though I don't live in AK anymore I still try and stay tuned in. Cant wait to hear [bleep] talk about it Monday .

Obviously Dan's last name is a cuss word...lol

It does seem curious why the huge delay. It is not like she was stealthy about it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She deserves a time out ....outside the fing state
....she could open her another Asian trailer park..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like a RINO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
she was my state rep. when I lived there. leftist, at best I would say. You see Art, it all turned to caca when I left.
voter fraud, crystal meth, cod be dead..........
My old job opens up in 2 months..... just sayin'...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kid0917
she was my state rep. when I lived there. leftist, at best I would say. You see Art, it all turned to caca when I left.

Wachu gonna do?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917

I would still take it over VA...
wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rofl, yes TWO commie Senators here, my local US House rep is a woman commie, governor is an accomplished abortionist commie,,,, and get this a state income tax and a state SALES tax!!!!!!!!!! arrgghhhhh.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.