Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There's no "Best" scope for brown/grizzly hunting anymore than any other. There are, however, better suited scopes than others for said purpose. I like plenty of eye relief and a low power on the bottom. On top of that, a scope that is reliable since you will probably be in wet, remote conditions. Find a good 1-4X or 1-6X, Good ones can be had from $450 on up to $2000. The advantage to the higher end is usually only enjoyed at the range when working up a load or selecting suitable factory ammo. I went through 3 scopes on my 458 Lott before I found one a Really liked. I ended up with a Hawke 1-4 with the L4A reticle. It is a thick post reticle with a single illuminated dot in the center. Has been the most likeable scope I have ever used on a heavy recoiling rifle. I took the same scope to Nebraska last year coyote hunting on a AR-15, between me and a buddy we killed 28 in 2 1/2 days. Never was lacking in the scope department!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
Leupold 3X !

The unicorn?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Leupold 3X !

The unicorn?

My gun safe has several unicorns!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The rifle I use for bear hunting has a leupold 2.5-8x36. It’s served
Me well and keeps my rifle fairly light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed Stevenson, long time master guide in the Talkeetnas and Chugach Ranges in Alaska, once told me something for brown bear scopes, that I still think is hogwash.
"You need a big objective lense, 40 mm al least, so you can keep it clean in the field."

Now - acknowledging the more often than not rainy (to say the least) conditions up in AK, I have in my five seasons guiding not found this particular aspect to be a problem.

What actually has been a problem were variable scopes set at to high magnifications - so my answer for the best optic for Grizzly/Brown B. hunting:

Any proven reliable riflescope with 2-2,5x at the minimum range of magnification, with hydrophobic lens coatings like Bushnell Rainguard, and a bold reticle, mounted in quick detachable rings on a reliable, stainless steel bolt action of adequate caliber with good open sights.

Scope - set to low magnification as a default.

Bushnell 3200 2-7x32 with FireFly reticle in Warne Ruger QD Rings on a stainless Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger with 270 TSX bullets - I might be tempted to suggest for hunting them.

Maybe even turn the scope 90 counter clockwise, per Mr. Shoemakers suggestion, for easier access to the loading port.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve built this gun a million times in my head and a few times in real life in hopes that I make it there some day.

A Trijicon 1-6 currently sits on my would be big bear gun for now.

The Trijicon seems a bit big and clunky and will likely end up on something else. May try the 1-4 version. I’d love a 3x Leupold but haven’t come across one as of yet....that and I’ve had more than one Leupold in recent years be bad right out of the box or be tits up in 20 rounds and my confidence has waned. Murphy rides my ass 24/7.

The closest I’ve ever come to DG hunting was a crazed thought to be rabid cow that I thumped with a 7wsm as she was heading for the hood of the truck to try and take me off the roof. Had a 2.5-8 Leupold that day and that worked just fine. I was certainly wishing for a 416 model 70 that day but the 7 stopped her fairly quick.

Last edited by BeardHunter; 03/13/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Leupold 2.5 Compact
Tough and easy to see around it.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Leupold 3X !

The unicorn?

My gun safe has several unicorns!

I have a big bunch of unicorns, too! Happy to say almost all of my 10-22s wear one, just in case I need to use them to kill a brown bear!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never hunted bears, but I have done dangerous African game. A Trijicon 1x4 Accupoint in QD rings would be my choice. I have the 1.25x4 on a .375 and could not be happier with it. The multi-illuminated post is outstanding

Who is John Galt?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mrfudd,

Took my one grizzly with a 1.25-4x Trijicon AccuPoint--which worked fine. First shot was about 65 yards, the bear angling slightly away, and the bullet took out both lungs, exiting in the little angle behind the far shoulder. He decided not to drop, but whirled around and ran back in the direction he'd walked from, though angling closer to me and my guide. We each shot as he crossed in front of us, but at that instant the bear turned and bit at the entrance wound, so we shot in front of him. The bear then started angling away, and I put a bullet in the right ribs, which ended up under the neck hide in front of the left shoulder. At that point the bear sank into the tall grass, but would have been dead from the first shot. Elapsed time from first to last shot was maybe 5 seconds.

Believe I had the scope set on 4x, but wouldn't swear to it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mrfudd,

Took my one grizzly with a 1.25-4x Trijicon AccuPoint--which worked fine. First shot was about 65 yards, the bear angling slightly away, and the bullet took out both lungs, exiting in the little angle behind the far shoulder. He decided not to drop, but whirled around and ran back in the direction he'd walked from, though angling closer to me and my guide. We each shot as he crossed in front of us, but at that instant the bear turned and bit at the entrance wound, so we shot in front of him. The bear then started angling away, and I put a bullet in the right ribs, which ended up under the neck hide in front of the left shoulder. At that point the bear sank into the tall grass, but would have been dead from the first shot. Elapsed time from first to last shot was maybe 5 seconds.

Believe I had the scope set on 4x, but wouldn't swear to it.

I really like that scope with the post and green triangle reticle

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.