Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
As one of Nosler's tougher BTs, what's the largest animal any of you have taken with it?

RM

This late season New Mexico cow elk killed in December is my largest animal with a 7mm 120 BT.

I'd wanted to shoot heavies from a 7 Rem mag but the scope broke while confirming zero, so I switched to a 7-08 that I brought along for some plinking.

I popped her at 200 yards broadside, twice.

The 120's left the barrel at 3037 fps. I found both bases with some jacket material underneath the far hide, but the cores and some jacket material exited.

I found out the second shot was unnecessary when I dressed her.

She was heavy and estimated to be five years old, but she's eating really well....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Last edited by TexasPhotog; 03/11/20.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
TX Photo what scope broke brand and model pls.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by czech1022
Haven't used them myself, but here are the words of Steve Timm, alias "dogzapper", with some words of wisdom:

I push 120BTs at 3,370 out of my .280 Ackley. I've killed one Alberta moose, maybe a half-dozen big Alberta whitetails, about four antelope and about eight or ten mule deer with the load. Never seen any hint of a blowup.

The moose shot was at 91 yards. Bullwinkle was standing in a farm two-track, kinda angled. I shot him through the left carotid artery (cool..it spurts) and the bullet exited, leaving a two-inch hole and a totally missing cervical (neck) vertabrae. Moosie stood for about five seconds, long enough for me to rack in another round, and then he tipped over like a piece of plywood in a light wind.

When used in the .280 Ackley, the bullet seemingly always exits on deer and antelope, except for one antelope buck that I shot in the throat and found the bullet next to the bunghole, when I started to do the bad-nasty coring job with my filet knife. That bullet was expanded to about .75" and the core/jacket were one solid piece. The rest of the bullets, on both deer and antelope, totally penetrated and might still be in low-earth orbit, for all I know. Exit holes are not large, averaging about 1 1/2-inches to two inches, and bloodshooting is not bad. Yeah, I know the first few generations of BTs were "soft", but this bullet is much harder.

I've also used the 120BT in my 7SGLC at 3,250 fps MV. One shot I totally remember was hitting a major Montana mule deer buck in the face with the bullet at about ten yards. It was very early one morning and I was creeping up a hill, when I ran smack-dab into a large buck that was peeping at me through a juniper tree.. The horns were MAJOR.....up came the rifle and I shot it under the right eye. Didn't break the skull cap......just killed the living crap out of him.

It must be a guy thing, but I just love shooting critters squarely in the face, if I can. My friend, Roger Roberts, from Weeping Water, Nebraska, about had a hernia when I face-shot a caribou when we were hunting in Quebec...a face-shot at about fifteen feet is graphic and Roger ragged at me for the rest of the hunt about the shot. When I got home, I sent him a long video entitled "Face-Shot Things"; it was about a dozen short video clips melded together that would be great ammo for PETA Roger was SO insulted that he had to watch it fifteen or twenty times; then, he got his wife, Vicki, and the kids to watch it more. But I digress.

With the with the same load in my 7SGLC, I killed a 9 1/2 year old mule buck at 204 yards. Shot through the spine at dusk. Exit hole was maybe two inches, after removing a serious piece of spine. Biggest damned deer I've ever seen....anywhere. And in the gumbo. Karen and I WORKED to get that SOB out.

7SGLC also ended the careers of two 6X6 bull elk, not major bulls, but both were 300 B&C or so. One at about 375 yards and the other one was 400-ish. One was shot through the spine, between the shoulder blades, from above and the bullet penetrated to the brisket hide. The other was broadside...hit squarely in the center of the shoulder, broke both shoulders, but no mess, and penetrated to the off-shoulder hide. Both elk bullets expanded to about .80" and the cores were securely locked in the jackets.

I've killed oodles of big Alberta coyotes with the 120BT in the .280. Doesn't do much, except kill them, because the jacket is too heavy for predator use.

The 120BT, as we know it, came from shooting Silhouetta. Reportedly, the original version was too lightly built to get the reliably knock over the 500-meter steel ram. My buddy, Chub Eastman, was at the first big Silhouetta shoot where they were used and came back home to Bend, OR with the request to "build it heavier."line. Hey, it wasn't selling as a varmint bullet, so they apparently thought that they would build the bullet for their target market; the Silhouetta shooters. Sooooo, Nosler beefed up the jacket and, in doing so, they unknowingly created one Hell of a big game bullet.

Section one, I think you'll see what I mean. The bugger is built like the Ballistic Tip .338s-and-higher. Really heavy jacket.

I use .284"-120BTs on deer and antelope with no hesitation. And, when the opportunity avails itself to bonk a heavier head of big game, I have absolutely no worries with the 120BT.

================================================
More:

I've tried the 140 Sierras and found them too frangible for my use in the .280 Ackley. Dunno how they'd perform in my 7SGLC, but prolly better. Hey, the 120 Ballistics work perfectly in both of my 7s, so the search is over.

Actually, I've found the 120BTs to be very much tougher than the 140BTs.

Obviously, if I'm chasing elk or moosies exclusively, I will usually load up with 154 Hornady Interlockeds. Some Campfire folks might remember that I whacked an Asian water buffalo with my .280 Ackley and 154s......dead buff with a single shot to the carotid arteries.

In the water buffalo kill, the 154 Hornady penetrated two-inches of tough hide....shot clear through the buff's neck....penetrated the two-inch off-side hide and went in low-orbit of the earth. Impressive, very impressive.

Usually, however, I hunt a couple of species at the same time and my bullet choice is determined by the critter I'll most likely kill; namely deer. If an elk or moose shows up, the 120 Ballistic bonks it cleanly. Certainly no complaints from me.

Always interesting to re-read DogZappers comments, and benefit from his experiences.
I wonder what pressure his 7SGLC load was running to get 3250 out of a 7mm-08 improved ?

I’ve never used the 120 BTs, having had success with the 140s, but there are lots who recommend the 120 BTs

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get 3126 FPS out of 51.5 grains of BG (52 is max according to Nosler) from a Tikka.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Both my father and I have been running the 120 BT in our 7-08's for a number of years based on recommendations from DogZapper on this forum. We have killed a number of feral hogs and deer with them with excellent performance. We don't use any other bullet anymore since we have had such good success. One of the biggest animals I have shot with it was this Aoudad from the past January. I'm not sure what he weighed as our scales bottom out at 250lbs and they bottomed out before we even got him up off the ground. Anyway he went down like he was struck by lightning and never even kicked from a high shoulder shot. Like Bobby Tomek posted earlier we also stocked up on the blue tipped ones from Shooters Pro shop and we probably have a lifetime supply. That is how much confidence I have in that bullet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Mohawk; 03/12/20.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mohawk-

That is an AWESOME ram.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run the 120NBT in my .280AI @ 3325 fps (Dogzapper's suggested load)and thus far we have taken 32 deer with the gun/load combo between 15 steps and 300 yards. We have never caught a bullet inside a deer and all have been 1 shot DRT kills.

I never want to be without this bullet.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The only Big Game animal that I took with the 120gr NBT was a Sitka Black Tail deer on Kodiak Island. I used a 7-30Waters pistol. It worked very well !!!

It's also my go to bullet in a 7-30 Improved pistol. Excellent accuracy and terminal performance on deer at 2450 fps. There's not many bullets that perform well on game from modest pistol velocities through magnum rifle speeds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a thousand Blue Meanies when they became available a few years ago. I might have to try them someday.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I may have used the blue tips myself.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I love that picture JG! That is the definition of a "Meat Haul"

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Mohawk, that was a fun day for sure. My buddy in the TX Panhandle has a "very private", ranch, low fenced, with the only ag around. I bet there were 300 deer on that 320 acre alfalfa field. He said to shoot as many as we could, so we did. I think I wound up with 17 does in two days via that 7mm 120BT.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a writer, but here is a really bad video of my daughter tagging her first bull elk in CO at 330ish yards.

7-08, 44 grn Varget, 120 grn bt's.

She'd tagged two cows in previous years, along with a few deer.

Nothing but stellar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hlROYmo3w

Please pardon the poor video, coaching, etc. We were all really full of adrenaline.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
As one of Nosler's tougher BTs, what's the largest animal any of you have taken with it?

RM

Some 6X6 bull elk and one decent-sized bull moose.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
TX Photo what scope broke brand and model pls.

SWFA fixed 6. Used it for about 150 full house rounds (162's, 175's and 180 ELD's over Re26) in a lightish 7 mag during load workup and practice. Rings were spaced correctly and I don't use lead sleds.

It tracked perfectly until the zero check on this trip. I sent it to SWFA and they replaced it immediately with a new one.

I think it was an anomaly since I have several others and they've been great, but we'll see.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the comment and pics.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T Bone
Not a writer, but here is a really bad video of my daughter tagging her first bull elk in CO at 330ish yards.

7-08, 44 grn Varget, 120 grn bt's.

She'd tagged two cows in previous years, along with a few deer.

Nothing but stellar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hlROYmo3w

Please pardon the poor video, coaching, etc. We were all really full of adrenaline.

I'd say it did the job, and congrats, but stellar...IDK. I would rather a 140 AB and really a 150-162 class bullet at that distance, if I could get the velocity. Just me. The first shot seemed a bit far back, did the 2nd hit the shoulder? If so, what did you find when you cleaned it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
500-600 lb mature bull caribou. I have found that at least at the speeds I shoot them, these are very "shocky" bullets. Never gotten a death run even when shooting behind shoulder. Animals act like they've gotten socked in the jaw. I shot this caribou behind the shoulder at about 80 yards with a 18.5" M7 in 7mm-08. Pretty slow, about 2850 fps at muzzle. At the first hit he staggered, stumbled 5 yards, and turned around. By then I had another round in the chamber and shot him again, same place on the opposite side, behind the shoulder. He staggered 5 more yards and dropped. Then crawled/dragged himself maybe 10 yards.

I never found the bullets but could not find any exit wounds for the life of me. This animal was very, very deep chested. These bullets are very fast killers. Maybe the fastest killing bullets I've used. My friends who use the 140 7mm BT's have had very average results. The 120's are definitely magic.

On deer and pigs they basically always exit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

RM

I began reading results, here on the campfire, by hunters here using that bullet, when in the process of building my 284 Winchester.

Inspired, I then used it exclusively for 2 years from that rifle to take 11 Northeastern Whitetail's all being one shot kills from 8 yards (lotta stress on that bullet at 3250 fps), out to the other side of 250 yards.

One bullet recovered (CNS).

No doubt, it's the best 120 grain "Accubond-esque" bullet for the .284" calibers.
It's ego needs no stroking smile

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I run the 120NBT in my .280AI @ 3325 fps (Dogzapper's suggested load)
I never want to be without this bullet.

Steve mentions 61 gr. of H4350 as one favorite load for the 280 AI, is this what you use?

Any loads for the 7RM? Nosler is showing up to 3,500 fps but I only have the older data, they were using R19, R22 and VV560. I bet I can get close with R23, R26 or R16 has anyone tried these powders? Looking for temperature stability and less heat than VV560. StaBil might be another option.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.