Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I'd take the Ti 7-08 off your hands.

I used to think it was damn near perfect, it has a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36...but I've always had a soft spot for the old Rigby.

I like blued and walnut also. Would like a Swede with a heavy barrel and a big scope for a classic range toy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Wrong caliber, wrong finish, wrong maker and wrong stock material. So no it’s not perfect for me. Don’t really matter what i think though. Sounds like it’s perfect for you.

Now I have to admit this is about the most perfectly self-aware, fair, and judicious disagreement I have ever read on an internet forum. Well said, sir.
I on the other hand, have the same rifle except in 6.5x55 (factory chambered) and think it's just the bomb. The only thing I did different is I wanted to preserve the original stock so I found a green, grey, and brown Winchester factory wood laminate stock on eBay and glassed my barreled action to it, just to preserve resale value on this somewhat rare chambering. I don't even know which rifle it originally came on...anyone? I've killed a bunch of critters with it. But how I wish it had a little shorter throat! With the full length magazine, I just load every 6.5 bullet with the heel of the slug even with the base of the neck and I still have a LONG drive to the lands.

Yours is a lovely rifle.
Rex

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is almost perfect, except its a pushfeed

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
TRexF16.......had the same rifle in the same 6.5x55mm. With the mag length you have available seating way out there isn't such a bad thing. Think Swede with a 3.34 COL. Friends used to comment on my loads as having a "lot of bullet hanging out there" way before they understood the concept of long high BC 6.5's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It is almost perfect, except its a pushfeed

Well I have to admit I missed that. My 6.5x55 I wrote of is CRF but I doubt that makes it any better. I have three Remingtons that are push feed (out of a few dozen Mausers, CRF M-70s, and Springfields) and they are excellent rifles. I don't think the average shooter of a 7x57 (WDM Bell excepted) is going to have his actuarial tables altered by shooting a push feed versus a CRF.
I still side with the OP that it's a fabulous rifle.
BUT, were we to apply Col. Whelen's criterion, is it "interesting?" Inquiring minds want to know...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bartman
TRexF16.......had the same rifle in the same 6.5x55mm. With the mag length you have available seating way out there isn't such a bad thing. Think Swede with a 3.34 COL. Friends used to comment on my loads as having a "lot of bullet hanging out there" way before they understood the concept of long high BC 6.5's

Like I tried to say, mine are hanging WAY out there - as far as I can stand, and they still are pretty far off the lands. On the other hand its like having an "improved" case without the feeding @ss pain. I get a bit more capacity in the case, and still some freebore to mitigate pressure. I can really "fling" a 140 AB or Partition out of that baby.
But I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. To keep it relevant, JC280, Mr. OP, what is the throat like in your 7x57?
Cheers,
Rex

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No, not even close in my opinion, but if you are happy with it then that is all that matters

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For myself, I like a Browning BLR takedown. I have several. The chamberings are pretty varied, from a straightwall .450 to the 22/250. My choice as a saddle rifle

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well perfect for you not me I have one like it in 6.5x55 with good rings and mounts. I sure wouldn't f**k it up putting talleywhackers on it.MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me either. Leupold Dual Dovetails and a gloss Leupold 3x9.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That checkering pattern is butt ugly (to me anyways) and would be the deal breaker. All else, including the chambering is perfect.

This one does blow my hair back. smile

https://thegundealer.net/product/winchester-model-70-super-grade-7mm-mauser/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good Looking Rifle, however I'm prejudiced. I fell in love with the XTR FTWT when they were introd. in 1981 and got one in the Spring of '82 when they were available. I let that 270 W get away from me - I thot IT had a problem but it was NOT the rifle or stock. frown

When I had a good op I replaced it with this 6.5X55. smile Great rifle but not my fav cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has killed deer for me anyway.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It ain’t perfect....but pretty darn close! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Good Looking Rifle, however I'm prejudiced. I fell in love with the XTR FTWT when they were introd. in 1981 and got one in the Spring of '82 when they were available. I let that 270 W get away from me - I thot IT had a problem but it was NOT the rifle or stock. frown

When I had a good op I replaced it with this 6.5X55. smile Great rifle but not my fav cartridge.

It has killed deer for me anyway.

Jerry

I'll give $5 for that 6.5x55 Featherweight. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as YOU like it.

You lost me at XTR.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, they're all perfect. Some are just perfecter than others. I love the lines of those Featherweights.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=elkhunternm][quote=jwall]

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'll give $5 for that 6.5x55 Featherweight. wink
---------------------------------------------------------

grin grin

That's a good offer but......

How many Xs were you dropped on your head ? laugh laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
That checkering pattern is butt ugly (to me anyways) and would be the deal breaker. All else, including the chambering is perfect.

Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Yup, they're all perfect. Some are just perfecter than others. I love the lines of those Featherweights.

R R , I agree, the STOCK grabbed me the FIRST time I saw it.

Don't pay attention to Cub..... He's a Canuck ! whistle laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love CRF acions but that's a feather weight and the push feed is a bit lighter if t makes you any difference.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Don't pay attention to Cub..... He's a Canuck ! whistle laugh

Jerry

LOL ..... If the CDN factor played in this, that rifle would be a 303 Lee Enfield. smile

Paul

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.