Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As many of you know the JSF has never been tax payer money well spent IMO however it's no wonder pilots like it.. The clean uncluttered interior as well as the arm rest would seem a real positive.. Does that make it a great fighting machine ? Only time will tell.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With everything being so automatic I wonder if pilots will maintain their flight skills.

Bb

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Hey, that toy looks like a lot of fun. Wonder how many $millions she cost?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
cool. but what happens when all that automatic stuff fails?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
With everything being so automatic I wonder if pilots will maintain their flight skills.

Bb

Can children do simple arithmetic or count change back without the aid of a calculator?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did Clint say in Firefox.......Wadda a machine.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A guy that works with me has flown the a/c and he says it’s magic with capabilities that would make Luke Skywalker envious 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every AF pilot I've asked (We have the first fully combat capable squadrons here) says he loves it. Our guys have flown real combat missions in them, so they ought to know a bit about it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the guys that used to work for me has a son that was an F35 test pilot and is cure an instructor for the plane. Some of the things that can be done with it both with regular flight, but specifically within combat, are borderline nuts. I’m sure there are a lot of things he can’t let out, but just what he can talk about is something I’d never have thought of.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My BIL is a high ranking AF retiree, flew A-10's in both gulf wars and Bosnia, and is now a RPA (Remotely Piloted Aircraft) instructor in the private sector for the US govt.

I have had a (brief) chance to enjoy some of the military's finest combat simulations... But my favorite is playing the part of the "wizzo" (WSO - Weapon Systems Officer). Blew some chit UP!! Best video game EVER.

Thanks to all that have served, BTW!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well at least it has a nice armrest. 🤔 That was incredible though, it almost flys itself. Now I want to go fly it.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 03/16/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All this praise for an aircraft the internet says sucks.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IT is a technologically superb machine without equal. There are still huge issues with it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenjs1
All this praise for an aircraft the internet says sucks.

I'm not praising it. Not by a long shot.

There's an inconvenient truth or two at hand. Anyone ever looked at the Fault Tree Analysis for this toy? It's a simple thing actually that asks what happens if this or that fails. For example, on the old F4 if there was a complete failure of the hydraulic system what are the implications and what action does the pilot take?

Answer: EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Can children do simple arithmetic or count change back without the aid of a calculator?

Not these days.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every plane that has ever flown has had "issues" and always will. The vaunted P-51 was doomed with a single small hit to its radiator, just as one example.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Every plane that has ever flown has had "issues" and always will. The vaunted P-51 was doomed with a single small hit to its radiator, just as one example.

Well, at least you could still land a P-51 with a hole in the radiator. Now we've got an expensive computer-controlled lawn dart...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've NEVER met a flyer who flies airframe X and says he hates it, so there is that. The F-35's issues are SO numerous i can (and have) commented on them. plenty of article out there from credible sources, not just internet commandos (like me).
As one comment put it, the technology is that plane is so advanced to deal with threats beyond visual range (BVR), you can put it in a 747 and achieve the same results, but eventually, you get 'leakers" and it's off to the good old fashioned "merge', aka "furball' and it that scenario, it is woefully lacking (it's a single seater and a PIG compared to a 22 ). In the close air support role (CAS), it is a marvel with stand off weaponry, but if you have to get down and dirty. that's a whole lot of money when some zipperhead gets lucky with an AK or a ZSU-23. Flying of "the boat", well let me tell you, your ass feels a LOT BETTER having two engines where for the last forty years, flying in a Navy jet with one engine was called an "in flight emergency." And I'm not even going to touch the logistics nightmare it is...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I call for resuming production of the F-22 already. That is all.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If the JSF strength is merely standoff mode [and I truly believe it is] then the powers that be have created a very pricy ruptured duck of sorts considering the Strike Eagle is and always will be a great standoff airframe and better yet with upgrades coming for the F-15X variants...Yes no stealth but I firmly believe it will soon be history easily defeated by new technology..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 53 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.