Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have everything I need to put together an AR15 upper except a barrel.
The main use for this upper will be for varmints up to coyote size with coyotes being the main quarry with yardages up to 350-400yds.
I know I want an 18" length but I'm on the fence as to what to have it chambered in and haven't decided on .223, .223/5.56 or .223 Wylde.
My question for the fire members is, what barrel manufactures have you had good luck with when it comes to accuracy?
I've looked at several different makes and the prices on some can be rather intimidating and I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck.
One local fella has a new Wilson Combat one that he's thinking of selling that would suit me but I haven't heard anything about their barrels.
Any members here have any experience with the Wilson's?
Would like to hear some recommendations from those who have had experiences with the various AR barrels out there.
Thanks in advance!
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
chamber , whatever that Wilson combat is.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rookieatbest

I know I want an 18" length but I'm on the fence as to what to have it chambered in and haven't decided on .223, .223/5.56 or .223 Wylde.

Out of those, your real choices are 5.56 or 223 Wylde. Not 223 Remington.
Don't overthink it; the differences are more about who made the barrel than what the chamber is called; dimensions vary between different makers. Just get a decent quality barrel in a 1:8 or 1:7 twist, and go shoot.

With that said, there are plenty of other good AR15 cartridges out there, especially if you load your own. Hard to go wrong with a good 5.56 though.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Originally Posted by deerstalker

deerstalker,
It's chambered in .223 Wylde, which I am kinda leaning towards, but it's a 20" and I don't think I want the xtra length or weight that adds.
He isn't sure if he wants to sell it right now so I have some time to look at other options.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

deerstalker,
It's chambered in .223 Wylde, which I am kinda leaning towards, but it's a 20" and I don't think I want the xtra length or weight that adds.
He isn't sure if he wants to sell it right now so I have some time to look at other options.
rookie

if he decides to sell and you don't want it let me know. I could always use a good 20" barrel

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

deerstalker,
rookie

if he decides to sell and you don't want it let me know. I could always use a good 20" barrel

I prefer a good 20" barrel over all else.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah screw deerstalker, send me the guys address i"lll buy that 20 ' wilson.You are being weak and indecisive if it's any kind of deal I'll bet it's all ready gone. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to assume you are looking for lower priced, button barrels, not Krieger's and such.
You can't go wrong with White Oak's Wilson, Compass Lake Douglas or Keystone Arms Green Mountain. Rock River and Armalite makes Wilson barrels too, but they aren't chambered quite as tight as the White Oaks.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah screw deerstalker, send me the guys address i"lll buy that 20 ' wilson.You are being weak and indecisive if it's any kind of deal I'll bet it's all ready gone. MB

I been married 50 years last January, I could use a good screw! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've had pretty good luck with Faxon and BHW. Faxon also has a mil discount program.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best bang for the buck is a WOA stainless SPR barrel, especially when you get one during a sale for $250'ish or less.

They almost always will be under MOA & are hand lapped.

Another decent mid-cost barrel that usually performs above its pay grade is AR Performance; & I've had decent luck with Rise Armament mid-priced stainless barrels as well, not always sub-MOA but always right at it, sometime you can find those for under $200 if you look hard.

For your uses, there's just really nothing wrong with a 16'' barrel either.

I don't know who is making Wilson Combat's barrels today, but I really don't consider them to be better than either the Rise or ARP barrels, & not as good as the WOA barrels.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The best bang for the buck is a WOA stainless SPR barrel, especially when you get one during a sale for $250'ish or less.

They almost always will be under MOA & are hand lapped.

Another decent mid-cost barrel that usually performs above its pay grade is AR Performance; & I've had decent luck with Rise Armament mid-priced stainless barrels as well, not always sub-MOA but always right at it, sometime you can find those for under $200 if you look hard.

For your uses, there's just really nothing wrong with a 16'' barrel either.

I don't know who is making Wilson Combat's barrels today, but I really don't consider them to be better than either the Rise or ARP barrels, & not as good as the WOA barrels.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

$250 for a WOA barrel is pretty damn good. Probably hard to beat at that price. Ive had pretty good luck with the windham weaponry varmint exterminator barrels lately. They easily shoot sub moa, but they are $340.00 with a bolt and gas block. They have compass lake chambers as well...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$340 with the bolt & gas block is not bad at all for a good barrel, especially since you have some positive history with them.

MM

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

No, he still has it, he just hasn't decided if he wants to sell it or not.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Appreciate all the info.
I've decided to go with an 18" in .223 Wylde so I'll be calling around to see who has what using the suggestions made.
Thanks again.
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Check out psa couple days ago the were running 1/7 wylde 18"ss complete with bcg and charge handle for$349.00 mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had truly varmint accurate, LW barrels from ARP, Wilson, and one more that I can’t recall from years back. I’ve had many others that were close enough for coyote work past 300. JPs are pricey, but they’re maybe the most accurate and least picky on AMMO I’ve tried...though that’s the heavier ones.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm wondering how accurate some of these tubes are? I don't believe we have anyone with A PSA barrel in the black rifle challenge here that shot sub moa... Some RRA's, WOA, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Stags and of course my WW's... I don't recall PSA even being in the running..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a PSA 8-twist 18" upper that was shooting ~1" for 5-shots with steel cased Horny SteelMatch. Never tried 10-shot groups though. I just used it as a medium range plinker, with low cost ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I just recently tried some Horny Superformance and Horny Black, now that I am low on SteelMatch. I think I could shoot better groups if I replaced the 6x, or worked on a more appropriate target size to match the magnification. Still ~1" for 5-shots. If I had to wager, I'd bet it would be 1.25" for 10-shots, or better, which is plenty good for what I am doing with it. Just shooting steel out to 600.

May dust the old press off and load up some 75 BTHP with RL15.

Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a White Oak fan for a number of reasons.
1) No matter who the barrel maker, the barrels are chambered in house. John prefers the Wylde reamer because it give less slop in the lead for better bullet alignment...but he'll also do a CLE (same benefits, slightly different dimensions) with his usual picky, high standards.
2) John is a very high level competitive shooter and knows what it takes to make a barrel shoot.
3) If the barrel don't shoot, John is accountable to making your happy.

I've had AR barrels done by Bill Wylde, CLE and a few others, but I have gone through more barrels from WOA than all others combined FWIW.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 622 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.