Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

Is there any reason I cannot trim my 44 magnum brass down to Special length? I donโ€™t have a Magnum, but have lots of brass.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No reason you can't, but that's an assload of work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends how tight your sixguns chambers are. The brass gets thicker the closer to the head of the case you get from the mouth, so when you seat a bullet the round may not chamber. Seen it happen before.

Deus Juvat

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Starline brass is outstanding quality, reasonably priced and ships fast. You could have 500 rounds on your doorstep before you were half done trimming that many 44 mag. And as was mentioned the brass thickens the further south you go with trimming magnum brass. Order some 44 special brass and sell the magnum stuff. Itโ€™ll work out much better in the long run.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have trimmed down many Magnums to Special length over the last 40 years. No problems yet.

ETA: Love the Bisley.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 03/16/20.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I have trimmed down many Magnums to Special length over the last 40 years. No problems yet.

ETA: Love the Bisley.

Bet you got some Popeye biceps if you own a hand crank trimmer. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LOL, never did many at a time. And I've used an electric drill for power forever.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only problem is someon might pick it up later, see the headstamp and load it with 44m loads. Easily go overpressure.
I've cut it down before and had no problem. Lasts for a long, long time with 44 spec loads.

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Papag
Only problem is someon might pick it up later, see the headstamp and load it with 44m loads. Easily go overpressure.
I've cut it down before and had no problem. Lasts for a long, long time with 44 spec loads.

Is there enough capacity for Magnum loads?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MHWASH
Originally Posted by Papag

Is there enough capacity for Magnum loads?

Oh yea, fill that bitch up with Titegroup and see what hapoens. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mart
Starline brass is outstanding quality, reasonably priced and ships fast. You could have 500 rounds on your doorstep before you were half done trimming that many 44 mag. And as was mentioned the brass thickens the further south you go with trimming magnum brass. Order some 44 special brass and sell the magnum stuff. Itโ€™ll work out much better in the long run.

This is the best info. And Starline is good stuff.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful Bisley and it's in a great caliber. The one I had (another big ass mistake Jerry) was very accurate.

I'd go the starline route if it were me, just too easy.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ordered Starline today. I hadone of the flattops a few years ago when they introduced them again in 44spl. Don't remember now what I traded for, but it wasn't long and I was looking for another one. This is also my first Bisley.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Flattop Bisley, 5.5 inch. It is one of my favorite revolvers. Very accurate and a nice size for packing. If and when I down size my revolver accumulation, it will be on of the ones to stay.

I've gone to Starline brass for just about everything I have in revolvers.

Enjoy the Flattop. Great gun.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have a flat top Bisley, stainless steel, in 44 Special. 5.5โ€ barrel. I use all StarLine brass as well and load the 250 gr. Keith SWC over 7.0 gr. of Unique. Iโ€™m not a big fan of single actions, but this revolver is one of the most accurate and easy shooting handguns that I own.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nice!

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That is a nice Bisley!!

I have a flattop 44 special (stainless--- 4 5/8"} and it likes about everything. 200 grain XTPs group amazingly @ 25 yards. I load 255 grain hardcasts @ 1050 fps for Black Bear protection . Agree about Starline: good brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MHWASH,

Your photo shows your Bisley on a page with the 44 Special low pressure reloading data.

You are probably aware of this, but... in this platform you can step your loads up quite a bit. There are some oft quoted skeeter loads, Ross Seyfried had an excellent article on reloading the 44 Special in Ruger's 44 Special Bisley (I think in a gunsamerica column?) and IIRC Brian Pearce had an article in Handloader magazine on the 44 Special.

Nothing wrong with the lower pressure loads, but there is room to safely go above that if you want to.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
MHWASH,

Your photo shows your Bisley on a page with the 44 Special low pressure reloading data.

You are probably aware of this, but... in this platform you can step your loads up quite a bit. There are some oft quoted skeeter loads, Ross Seyfried had an excellent article on reloading the 44 Special in Ruger's 44 Special Bisley (I think in a gunsamerica column?) and IIRC Brian Pearce had an article in Handloader magazine on the 44 Special.

Nothing wrong with the lower pressure loads, but there is room to safely go above that if you want to.

Jerry

+1 on this. "Skeeter" loads work great. 240 gr or so Keith style coated lead SWC over either 7.5 gr Unique or 7.7 gr Universal. Works for me.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You fellas sure have me looking forward to getting to know this BH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.