Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Kicking around the idea of adding one to the garage when all of this BS quiets down.

Can't afford a Yoder. Traeger seems to be popular but I've noticed most reviews are "Got one for Christmas, made ribs twice. It's awesome" and that's it. Other brand reviews like Camp Chef, Pit Boss, Green Mt. Grills etc all seem to have reviews like "Had a Traeger, sucked. Got XXX and it's the best"

So what's the truth?

What do you like? Why?

Currently using a PBC and it's ok but I want a little more versatility with lower temp smoking.

Me

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had the big Traeger for 4 years now.

Steaks
Ribs
Brisket
Venison
Bacon
Shoulders
Butts

Probably more but it’s been excellent. I keep the blanket on mine year round. It just keeps hammering away making excellent protein. I’d buy another tomorrow.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of the 4 or 5 I’ve used I liked the Green Mountain the best. Seemed to keep temps more even, easier to clean, and very few issues. I’ve used a couple of PitBoss units, Camp Chef, Green Mountain, and several Traegers.

We cook in some of the KCBS BBQ series contests, as well as demo units for stores around the area using their equipment and our recipes. I like some of the new features on the new Traegers and Pit Boss grills, but for the most part they’re over complicated, and over priced.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I got the Camp Chef Woodwind with the Bluetooth temp and smoke controller for Christmas. It also has the optional sear box on the side. I've really enjoyed using it, and it is very versatile especially with the option of putting a real sear on meat, which is an inherent problem for pellet grills.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a Camp Chef at Thanksgiving to do a turkey. Probably used it a dozen times since. Well made, works as promised, nice features, it was outfitted better than the comparable Traeger and about $100 cheaper. Got it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two Green Mountains... I use them quite a bit when I'm on days off... everything I've smoked so far has come out excellent... super easy to use... minimal maintenance... perfect every time...

Public landowner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a Pit Boss for Christmas, because I'd mentioned that I'd like something better than the little Bradley smoker I've been using for years. Have only used it twice, and so far I love it. It does a great job, and is so much easier to clean up.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The sense I'm getting is that it is NOT "Traeger and everything else is inferior".

Appreciate it gentlemen.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
The sense I'm getting is that it is NOT "Traeger and everything else is inferior".

Appreciate it gentlemen.

While I don't know anything about Traeger, keep this in mind.......this is the internet, and everyone thinks their opinion is the one that matters. I would suspect that there is good and bad in all of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not into pellet grills, but knew several people here that used Traegers for many years. Traeger was started here, in this area, so I think some took satisfaction in supporting the local company and their design.

Now, those same dudes have moved on to other brands and say they would never buy a Traeger again. Several said the low maximum temperature was disappointing. Others said value, or cost vs. quality on newer models, was low. Another said his didn't last long, and needed new parts after the warranty expired.

I don't know all the details, as I have no interest in pellet grills, so take it with a shovel of salt.

My only interest was in the history, and local aspect. I think Traeger has now relocated to Utah. Probably a more friendly business environment than Oregon.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cinch
I have two Green Mountains... I use them quite a bit when I'm on days off... everything I've smoked so far has come out excellent... super easy to use... minimal maintenance... perfect every time...

I also have 2 GMG's and no longer have a gas grill. I still use charcoal once in a while, but the GMG's get the most use.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Been poking around while I work from home. I think the Green Mountain will be my choice.

Don't think I'll get the wifi one tho. Dicking around with the grill is 1/2 the fun...

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ran treager or 15-20 years now, I like em.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the RECTEC's.

I spent a ton of time researching them and that is where I ended up.

GMG was my 2nd choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My GM control board went out after about 10 years so I called them about a replacement. They gave me a code with a very reduced price to order one. When I ordered I got the wifi version, but I’ve never used it. I just don’t see a reason for it using it how I do.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had a small Pit Boss for a few years, I use it quite a bit. It appears that Treager and Pit Boss are made by the same people now days. When I bought parts for my Pit Boss (grease tray & burn pot cover) they came in Treager packaging.
IF I were to buy another pellet smoker, I'd make sure the burn pot was cleanable without disassembling the grates and deflectors and using a shop vac. There are some brands (Camp Chef?) that have a sliding bottom on the burn pot that allow you to empty the ash without pulling it all apart.
I've looked at the new Weber SmokeFire pellet grill. It has some interesting features that I've not seen on other grills.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've heard those Webers have a bad habit of bursting into flames and not on purpose.

Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My Pit Boss does too!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a Green Mountain Dan'l Boone model for 7 years now. Use it pretty much weekly year'round. I did have the pellet ignitor go bad recently and it was replaced by the dealer for $30 plus they threw in a new heat shield because the original one I had, tended to warp and GM was replacing them for customers. I really like it for jerky and summer sausage too. I'm a satisfied owner.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a Pit Boss (not near it go get the model) a year or two back and smoke just about everything on it. The only issue I have had with it, self-inflicted, was I left it full of pellets near the edge of my patio and the pellets inside got wet. It choked up the feed screw, and burnt up the motor. It was still under warranty, so they sent another motor, no questions asked. I’d recommend it to anyone.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.