-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
I have my great grandfather’s single shot Stevens 25.20. I’ve intended to restore it and hoped to fire it but cannot source ammo. Perhaps those with 25 Stevens rim fire ammo and no gun have found their buyer!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hyphen
I have my great grandfather’s single shot Stevens 25.20. I’ve intended to restore it and hoped to fire it but cannot source ammo. Perhaps those with 25 Stevens rim fire ammo and no gun have found their buyer!

Just make sure it is .25-20 Repeater (.25-20 W.C.F.) and not .25-20 Stevens Single Shot. A world of difference between the two. .25-20 SS is obsolete beyond all reckoning and nigh impossible to find brass for.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.25-20 SS brass is usually available from Buffalo Arms. I have and shoot a Stevens 44 so chambered and it does quite well. As gnoahhh said, don't confuse this round with the Win .25-20 or .25 RF.....they are quite different.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/03/20.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently I picked up a Frank Wesson rifle in 32 Rimfire, In my hunting for some 32 rimfire ammo I had a fellow give me some 25 Rf. it's only a few rounds but I guess if a rifle comes along I'll be ready. If it were more then a few rounds I would pass them along to you but I think shipping such a few rounds wouldn't be worth the trouble.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
.25-20 SS brass is usually available from Buffalo Arms. I have and shoot a Stevens 44 so chambered and it does quite well. As gnoahhh said, don't confuse this round with the Win .25-20 or .25 RF.....they are quite different.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BA has been bereft of .25-20 SS brass for a long while, since Jamison (Captech) went belly up. Bertram brass is spottier than spotty, and is of sub-par quality IMO. I scrounge .25-20 SS brass whenever I stumble onto it- for making R2 Lovell and .22 Maximum Lovell cases out of it. (That is mainly why I don't care for Bertram brass- it's soft and doesn't stand up to the rigors of the Lovell wildcats worth a hoot, in my experience. I jealously guard my stash of Lovell brass like it were the Crown Jewels.)

Even .25-20 WCF brass is scarcer than honest Democrats these days, but at least can be made from .32-20 brass with a little patience.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a old 25 cal. Rimfire Stevens 44 its in decent shape ,i have no ideal what its worth ? but i also have a full box of ammo for this rifle too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
H
I’ll check the breech block but am sure mine is rimfire. Thought that meant single shot only. I have one spent casing that is rimfire but it may be tall tales that it was fired in this rifle.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, some where in my stash of old magazines, I have a one page story about the .25 Stevens.. It was written my Larry Koller.. If I can find it I can send you a copy or drop it off when we are in Dillon.. He shot one as a kid.. He was lamenting its passing, but at the time they were apparently still available in used gunshops because he was going to look for one.. Remind me if you are interested.. We leave Colo.. for home tomorrow and then will be getting the trailer ready for spring hunting.. All I need to do is remember, and look, if you are interested.. Have a good one.. No gophers here yet..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 3 .25 rimfires. 2 Stevens Favourites (falling blocks) and 1 Eatonia (bolt).Nice little guns but shells are $3 apiece around here ,if you can find them!

E
E
hey i have a Stevens 44, i'll take all the .25 RF you guys got... please, and thank you

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.25 Stevens was a fairly common chambering for Winchester 1885 Lo-Wall single shots too. I have seen several and had an condition excellent one for a while. Got it cheap because the owner couldn't find ammo. Sold it not-so-cheap because I couldn't find any either, but did find a Winchester collector who REALLY liked it.

I don't know Remingtons well, but wouldn't be surprised if the #2 Rolling Block and the #6 were chambered for .25 Stevens, too.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I bet if a boutique cartridge manufacturer tooled up to make .22WRF, .22 Remington Special, .22 Autoloader (same as .22 Remington Special, I think) .25 RF Long and Short, .32 RF Long and Short, and .38 RF Long and Short, he could sell all he made. There is a huge number of those guns languishing in closets, barns, and bordellos across our fair land.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Darn, now I wish I had kept the red/yellow like new full box of 25 Rimfire ammo. I purchased at a yard sale in Atlanta about 30 years ago for a few dollars. For only twenty it went to a collector same day...🙄
However I’ve been told “If you made money on it,... shut up!”

E
E
I have 4 boxes of Navy .32 RF, i'd consider some horse tradin' for some .25 RF

E
E
i'll trade you bullet for bullet in 32 RF

C
C
Hey gang- first post here. Hopefully I’m not resurrecting a dead thread here, but I found a bunch of Winchester .25 Stevens Short in my grandfathers old gun cabinet. Gunbroker the only real option for selling the stuff?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Put the stuff up for sale here instead of GB. Bet it sells right quickly.

Interesting factoid: As the result of recent chatter in the single shot community, it turns out that a bunch of .25 RF rifles actually have .257 bores, not .251. Just goes to show that Wikipedia isn't 100% infallible.

If your groove diameter is actually .257 it opens up a world of conversion possibilities. If you have a Stevens 44 or 044 1/2, or Winchester single shot it's not a huge deal to convert the breech block to centerfire and rechamber the gun to a sensible little .25 centerfire cartridge and put the thing back into service. I recently bought a newly made centerfire breechblock for a Stevens 44 from Lee Shaver for a very reasonable sum. (It's going to serve as the basis for .22 GTC experiments but could just as easily work for a .25 Something-or-other.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/30/21.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
CaRb713: Seems threads NEVER die around here.
And welcome to the CampFire.
Good luck with your sale.
And indeed this is a very good place to post up want-ads and for sale ads.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe I have a old Remington Model 4 takedown that is chambered in that 25 Stevens. It has been hanging on my wall the last 50 years

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I bet if a boutique cartridge manufacturer tooled up to make .22WRF, .22 Remington Special, .22 Autoloader (same as .22 Remington Special, I think) .25 RF Long and Short, .32 RF Long and Short, and .38 RF Long and Short, he could sell all he made. There is a huge number of those guns languishing in closets, barns, and bordellos across our fair land.

Aguila /Centurion did it with the 5mm Rem Rim Magnum..............and there were only ever 30-some thousand rifles made in that chambering, ever.

Had to be SUBSTANTIALLY more of the above made and still around somewhere.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (222ND, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,064
Posts18,482,530
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.