Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been forced into a semi-hoarder. In one week our stores are low or out of just about everything. Last weekend I tried to buy some extra stuff for the freezer but instead Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I took stuff out of the freezer.Now we usually keep maybe 2-3 chickens, some steaks, and other meats plus frozen vegetables and canned goods on hand but I've gone to the twice as much rule. Today I even bought 12 bars of soap. My wife read that dog food is next but I just bought 70 lbs of PPP a few weeks ago and only have the one GSP. As of today I am going to limit my visits to the stores but when I do go I am going to buy a little extra of this and that.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Freezer is full, pantry is full, overflow in a big tote, big box of non perishables to each of the kids families, and a good quantity of long term food storage so far untouched.
Wife keeps buying TP and cleaning wipes on Amazon whenever they show stock.
But, there was no bacon at the market this morning.
Someones hoarding bacon.
I consider hoarding to be having beyond what you would use in a reasonable period of time. I'm not there yet but I will be cutting back on the shopping trips.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm out of bacon too. I do have 8 packs of good NC sausage. Eggs not a problem yet but the price has increased $1.00/ dozen.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have 9 pounds of bacon curing in the fridge, plus three pounds of Back bacon in the outside fridge in cure.

Getting about 10 eggs a day from the hens.

I am MAGA.
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good for you Jim. I used to live in the country in NC and we " put up " vegetables from the garden, but had to buy most of our meat, except for rabbits, squirrels, quail, and ducks and such. Now it is hard to get away from the urban spread here. I need to move but I like saltwater fishing too much to do that, I think.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You might be surprised if you looked.

Grocery store is about the last damn place I would go looking for certain things.

Got to be some local producers over there somewhere.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wife just got back from the weekly shopping trip. The only meat in the place was ham.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you need it, if you will use it in time. it's not hoarding.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim, not much local produce around these parts right now. In general I am not going to pay for local beef as it is generally 2/1/2 times the price of what we get in the stores and not much if any better ( Generally speaking ). Plenty of small companies/farms that produce small 2 1/2 frying hens and pork producers and I get that from local meat shops. I have some deer meat but not much as I didn't shoot a deer last year and I usually shoot 2-4. I was hunting 2 nice bucks I past up the year before and never saw narry one of them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fortunately I was brought up by my grandfather who taught me how to pressure can foods and keep supplies stocked. I typically keep a month or so of food and water in rotation for events like this where people decide to buy up all dried goods. It has served me well during hurricanes and now, pandemics.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have plenty of food but been going to the grocery in the mornings to pick up snacks for lunch. No tp, no meat yada yada but tell you what i guess people are too good to eat potted meat and vienna sausages. Plenty on the shelf. I usually get a can or two and a bag of chips. Express lane full of people with way more than a hundred items let me go ahead.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glad the game was plentiful this last fall, we haven't done anything different. If locked down, I guess we'd run out of fresh veggies long before meat but I'm not worried about any of those scenarios.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not aimed at you CWT by any means, but every time I hear of people cleaning out shelves I think of this photo.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 03/21/20.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If you need it, if you will use it in time. it's not hoarding.

I agree 100% wabi.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
We used to call it “prepping “

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you have to drink that whole gallon of awful stuff?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Folks we be stockpiling and hoarding cans of Alpo and canned cat food next.
The homeless folks claim it’s good eating. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grocery store had a ton of bare shelves earlier but the Dollar General had a lot of food.

Guess people too dumb to realize there are places other than the grocery store that carry packaged food.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Grocery store had a ton of bare shelves earlier but the Dollar General had a lot of food.

Guess people too dumb to realize there are places other than the grocery store that carry packaged food.

Even the Dollar General stores here have bare shelves.
Was able to get some canned soup & pork & beans. And Easter Candy. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The picture of that elderly woman is heart wrenching.... if not an internet fabrication

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.