-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you plan to shoot at 500, hunt at 400 and prefer a reticle based solution for correction then I’d try one of the Bushnell Nitro scopes from Doug. After rebate you have several options in this lineup to choose from.

These s ones originally retailed at much higher price than the $150ish you can get them for now after rebate. I don’t know how they stacked up at that price, but at the current clearance price I think they’ll do better than most anything you can find that retails at $150.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting thread.

All the rest 1 vote, including one for Athlon by somebody who offered to sell his to the OP.

Actually he did 1 better than that. He offered to send it to me and I can try it out, compare it to other scopes, and even mount it and shoot it to see how I like it.!!! So I will be checking it out. I may see if I can find a Fullfield II locally to compare it to.

Since you are going to be using cheaper mounts, make sure that you find someone to help you lap the rings. That Savage is a flat-back receiver, right? I may be able to hook you up with mounts and rings. PM me, if you are interested and I will check to see what I have.

This is the truth. I rescued one of those circa 1980’s Savages from a pawn store. It had the most misaligned drilled vase locations I have ever seen.

Traded it off to a guy who wanted a project, and he got an ever better deal than me.

For shooting at 500 yards I’d seriously consider a one piece base and good rings, or at least good rings properly lapped.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Burris Fullfield II own 3 of them and love them.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My understanding was scope and rings for $150.Since it’s scope for $150 plus rings,I’d hunt down a used Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40/ballistic duplex,or secondly a Bushnell Elite/Elite 3500 3-9x40/DOA 600.Mount it with a set of Burris Zee’s...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This thread prompted me to look at Ebay where I found and bought a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 for 140.00. I feel like I just hit the lottery. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Be ready for some really insulting replies.

I am... But when you don't make much money, and you are working on paying off the mortgage, options are limited. It is what it is, and I need to work with what I've got!

I understand and support your effort completely. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the replies.

I'm surprised too. Well done all!

Another vote for Burris here.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For God's sake don't say you want a Leupold, we don't need another thousand page diatribe.

I sent you a PM!

Last edited by reivertom; 02/29/20.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks to all! I got the Athlon that soneone offered to send me to try out. Took it out at dusk last evening and compared it to my brothers Nikon Prosaff 5. I was happy how it certainly held its own. I had compared it earlier in the day to my Sightron SII on another rifle and there again I could tell very little difference. It seemed to be a good scope , so that is where my budget went. Thanks to all the other offers. I had some good ones , and I certainly appreciate the help!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dumped every Burris 25 years ago was tired of sending them back for repair. Even tho repairs are free still cost $20 to ship.
Slowly over the past 10 years sold off Leupold's. Would send 5-6 a year at one time for repair. Last group of 6 sent back for repair Leupold asked me, they would replace all of the scopes with any model they had. Took them up on there offer and sold them off new in the box. Went and bought Nikon Monarch's, Prostaff 5's and 7's. Have yet to bust one, they are mounted on mostly big bores and slug guns. Nikon has said they will honor there Life Time Warranty, have yet to bust one in 10 years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Dumped every Burris 25 years ago was tired of sending them back for repair. Even tho repairs are free still cost $20 to ship.
Slowly over the past 10 years sold off Leupold's. Would send 5-6 a year at one time for repair. Last group of 6 sent back for repair Leupold asked me, they would replace all of the scopes with any model they had. Took them up on there offer and sold them off new in the box. Went and bought Nikon Monarch's, Prostaff 5's and 7's. Have yet to bust one, they are mounted on mostly big bores and slug guns. Nikon has said they will honor there Life Time Warranty, have yet to bust one in 10 years.

Nikon is going out of business. They are not going to honor any warranty.. Plus, when Nikon was in business you weren't going to find a Monarch in the OP's price range ("150").

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rmb721
Look for a used Leupold Vari-x-IIc 3-9x40. The Vari-x-IIc has about twice the amount of adjustment as a Vari-x-II

Yeah, "look for a used Leupold Vari-x IIc 3-9X40". That is laughable, when I just sold one for $325.00. Just slightly over the op's requrirement of "150 max"... Just sayin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a long time Leupold user (lots of Vari-XIIs, VX-IIs, VX-IIIs, VX-3s, and a smattering of VX3i thrown in over the years), but I recently bought some Fullfield II 3-9Xs. I took the rifles involved to the range yesterday and found that the optical quality is quite good. The Ballistic Plex reticle seems to be about just right. I don't much care for the entire ocular turning for magnification selection and I'm not real sure just how precise the elevation and windage adjustments were (I was not out there to evaluate, but just to sight in). For the price, I think the FFII is damn hard to beat.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 is about as much bang for the buck as you can get for the mission profile you described.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
With the current 29% rebate on Bushnell Nitro Scopes there's a couple of options that, after rebate, will be only $142.00

This.

But the I do have Redfield Revolution with the Accu-range reticle on a T/C Venture that I like a lot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
If I had $150 to spend on a scope......

I’d get a job.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
If I had $150 to spend on a scope......

I’d get a job.

I have $80 scopes and $900 dollar scopes. Some rifles just need $150 worth of glass others get top dollar and yes, I am employed.

Kent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
would I be better to avoid Nikon since they are getting out of scopes?

I've had several brands of scopes including Nikons. Maybe I've been extra lucky but have only had trouble with one, a cheap "Simmons" scope. When it happened I had two choices, throw it in the trash or bother with a warranty and decided why bother with wasting any time or frustration dealing with having a scope repaired that I would never be able to have confidence in again. So, if I have another scope break it's a throwaway, unless it so expensive I could sell it after a repair job.

Nikon products usually have pretty good glass. My vote would be to go ahead and buy if you have your eye on one you like. If not my vote for another choice would be save up some beer money until you can afford a Burris fullfield II with the BDC slash marks in the reticle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ATC
Burris Fullfield II is a nice scope in that price range.

This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Does anyone else have experience with this Nikon scope?

Is the 3.6-3.9 inches of published eye relief....accurate?

What caliber rifle have you put this on?

Was considering mounting one on a CDNN-clearanced Thompson Center LH Dimension in 7mag. 1-9 twist.

Have a spot for safe 960 yard plinking. Not setting up for hunting, just shooting for this one. Cheap shooting rifle.

Wait on a sale for a SWFA 6x........or this one? Opinions....

Originally Posted by Dre
I have The Burris for sale but doesn’t sound like you’re interested.
If you can spend extra 50. This Nikon is what I’d get. I actually ordered a 2nd one just to have one for my next rifle.
The moa reticle has jumped up 100$ since Christmas.
Here is the mrad for 199
https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-M-TACTICAL-Riflescope-3-12X42SF-Matte-MK1-MRAD-16520.aspx

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike, I have two of those. Both on 6.5 Creedmoors. One in Warne vertical rings on a rail, one in Talleys. I put them on rifles that my daughters will use for practicing longer range shooting. They were extremely easy to sight in since the adjustments were correct. I have not dialed either yet. The glass is better than expected, the weight is reasonable at 20.5 oz. and the build quality is good. I like that the turrets reset to zero. The focus and SF both work well. 6.5mm holes are easy to see on paper at 100 yards at 10+X. I find the eyebox to be pretty friendly up to about 10X, after that it's tight and takes a little getting used to. I haven't used them in low light yet. Without knowing the reliability I can't say they are wonderful, but impressions are good so far and they are worth $200 if they meet your needs.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 03/21/20.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.