-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Who knew it was fresh garlic that would became unobtanium.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It all comes from China. They are using it in their poultices.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's getting fugly on the SF peninsula. I bought a fair portion of what was left at our local Safeway about a week ago - three bulbs.

My Chinese sweetie looked at the picture I sent her of my bulby booty and remarked - "That looks horrible, why did you buy it". Any port in a storm, any port in a storm...

In the good news department, I've a new Ninja Foodi. Learning its ins and outs. Today's culinary experiment: Slow cooker Chile Verde.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That sounds good.....chile verde......mmmm.....

We have resorted to using the jarred minced stuff.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That sounds good.....chile verde......mmmm.....

We have resorted to using the jarred minced stuff.

Yep, a big ole jar was ordered on the 15th. Should be here by April. XD

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One word: Vampires

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Who knew it was fresh garlic that would became unobtanium.

I noticed that. They had none at the grocery store Wednesday. Fortunately, I still have one full bulb and one quarter bulb left. I also have plenty of garlic powder as a substitute, should that be necessary.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Gilroy.....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Gilroy.....

I, no s--t, was kinda thinking about that. It's not that far away.

But I'd have to buy a couple bushels and be selling it on the street like the fruit peddlers in order to justify the gasoline cost though smile Then of course the local gendarmerie would be after me. Or I could go stealth.

Pssst... mister, wanna buy some garlic. I've got some sweet bulbs here man...

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
No shortage here, grow our own, tho last years crop is starting to sprout in the bag.
This years crop is up and looking good.

There is a war on America and America is losing
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
really? mine is just poking its leetle head out of the cold cold ground. i grow more enough garlic to put tony soprano into a coma. only use about 10 bulbs a year. might have to open a roadside stand.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On average, every single person in the United States consumes roughly three pounds of garlic in a year. Many people think of California as the garlic capital of the world, but in fact most of our garlic comes from China. Back in the early 90s, China accounted for only 2% of the garlic imported to the United States. By the year 2009, that number was up to about 50% and by 2012 it was about 66%. This number continues to grow daily. As Chinese garlic continues to flood our markets, California growers are less likely to choose garlic as a crop, since it so much less profitable now. In 2001 California was only growing approximately 29,000 acres of garlic and by 2013 this number had dropped to approximately 23,000 acres. California’s Central Valley region has an ideal warm Mediterranean type of climate with fertile, rich fields. This is an ideal area for growing some of the best tasting garlic in the world, so this loss of garlic crops has been a bit of a culinary tragedy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
minced in a jar here. some stuff I use fresh for.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
On average, every single person in the United States consumes roughly three pounds of garlic in a year. Many people think of California as the garlic capital of the world, but in fact most of our garlic comes from China. Back in the early 90s, China accounted for only 2% of the garlic imported to the United States. By the year 2009, that number was up to about 50% and by 2012 it was about 66%. This number continues to grow daily. As Chinese garlic continues to flood our markets, California growers are less likely to choose garlic as a crop, since it so much less profitable now. In 2001 California was only growing approximately 29,000 acres of garlic and by 2013 this number had dropped to approximately 23,000 acres. California’s Central Valley region has an ideal warm Mediterranean type of climate with fertile, rich fields. This is an ideal area for growing some of the best tasting garlic in the world, so this loss of garlic crops has been a bit of a culinary tragedy.

I wonder what in hell we are thinking or for that matter what are the Chinese thinking when a country with our food production ability is buying any food from another country especially a country with over a billion people to feed, and a country that doesn't much like us anyway. I can't understand the money we spend on ag subsidies and then turn around and buy foreign ag products. The only exceptions I can see making any sense at all are Australia and Israel as a reward for their constant steadfast support for the U.S. I guess there might be some food products not produced here but I'm betting not many.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/21/20. Reason: spelling correction

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
and garlic is one of the easiest things to grow. it grows itself. pick in july, plant in october. and i've never seen anything kill it. including a weedwacker.

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.