Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have an older one that I pack occasionally. Mine likes heavier bullets like 245-250 grain over the 215 gr weights. Mild loads should keep this a shooter for a long time.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TM45
1nice,

Your gun is fine.

Derby Doofus heard something from somebody who may have known someone that called themself a "pistolsmith".

The bright ring is caused by the bolt dragging across the cylinder under tension like it is supposed to as the action is being cycled. Not by whatever the heck Derby Doof called it.

What does it mean? It means the gun has been shot or at least dry fired. In other words - harmless.

Forums are a place where any idiot can post BS - pick who you listen to carefully.

TM

You may disagree with me and that's okay but a Doofus?

When your cylinder loosens up from poor timing don't blame me.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Derby Doofus, now just whom is this wonder gunsmith that gave you this information? 1nice, gave the "correct" reason for the drag line.

Since you feel so strongly about the drag line being a timing factor, here's a deal. Check out the drag line on my FA 454, I've got $50.00 that says it is not out of time. I will send it back to FA to be checked, if it's out of time I send ya $50.00, if it's not out of time you send me $50.00 and the cost of S+Insurance. Here's a couple pictures.

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jimmyd223/FAcloseup001.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jimmyd223/FAcloseup002.jpg[/img][/img]

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You win the line is suppose to be there. Have a good day.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its not a matter of winning, it is a matter of mis-information.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jimmyd223:
It's become a matter of your �name calling�.

I don't have to be a Gunsmith to know that the ring is related to timing.

I once let a guy who said he cut his teeth on Single Actions work on my Colt S A Army. He replaced a part. When he finished it was out of time, and I soon had a very pronounced ring around the cylinder from the locking bolt. I took it to another Gunsmith who sent it back to Colt to have it retimed.

Just looking at a ring in a picture can be somewhat subjective, as to how serious a problem it might be. Given the fact that the Charter Arms is an inexpensive revolver, brand new, (as in little fired) it maybe could, use some attention. Obviously, if the ring is more than a very slight one it could indicate a problem.

Since you can't disagree without being disagreeable, I'm placing you on �ignore�, and since I�m sure that I�m not the only one who is offended by your attitude, I recommend others do so also.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SmittyoftheNorth, since you put me on ignore for name calling,I'm sure you will remove it to see what I have to say concerning your post.
So, if calling Derby a Doofus hurt his feelings, Derby, I'm sorry your that thin skinned. I meant it as a joke, no attack meant to you.

Now as to you Smitty, if what you say is correct, then don't you feel that "every" SAA Colt that comes out of the Colt Custom Shop is out of time. There is a reason Colt Collector's "DO NOT" want the cylinder turned, it will leave a faint drag line and affect value. Are they all out of time as you suggest? I guess we should also think about all the guns out of the S&W Performance Center, the Python's, the big 500's.

I'm sure enough of my comments that I will extend my bet with Derby to you, Game?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smitty and Derby Dude, every ruger revolver I own have the ring, it is not a matter of timing, just that the lock drags a little, I understand where you are coming from, but I can tell you the Ruger repair shop won't even look at it, unless you are getting lead or copper blow by. JMHO, Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To jimmyd223: Apology accepted. It's not about thin skin it's about being a gentleman about an important subject and disagreeing with one other. And if I've offended you I'm sorry.

Pictures can be subjective which is why I suggested a competent pistol smith to check things out.

I checked my Ruger.44mag single action last night. It has a slight ring which is almost impossible to see. As I said at my age and the little I shoot my .44mag it will probably take for ever for the cylinder lock (I call it a pall) to do serious damage. The pistol smith I know says he can adjust the cylinder lock (pall) so that it doesn't drag. This pistol smith makes a living working only on Ruger pistols and revolvers especially single actions.

The first thing I had to do to my .44mag was have a smith hone the inside of the cylinder and round every mouth of the cylinder so that the empties could be ejected from the cylinder. The next item was a trigger/spring tune up. The point is every pistol/revolver needs the attention of a competent pistol smith as it comes from the factory unless it comes from a custom shop. At $1,000 to $4,000 for a pistol/revolver from a custom shop the weapon had better be ready to go.

The point of the original post was to alert people to the ring and the fact it could be a problem as it wears in the notches on the cylinder. Use a 2x magnifying glass and check your notches and see how much wear you have. You will be surprised. Some wear of course will happen but be carefully of too much wear too fast.

Last, it was not my intention to start a mini war on this subject and for starting one I apologize.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Understand, not a biggie, I know some of the ohter makers say this is a problem, i.e. Colt SAA's, but with Rugersand FA's, it is considered normal wear and you are absolutley correct, when it is creating a Divot size drag line, yeah, I would definitley send it in, but light line is just normal wear. laugh Thanks, Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool!!! we got this one resolved, with I think everyone agreeing to dis-agree to some point. If shes shedding lead, time to re-time..........

In fact, I was just out in the back shop looking for some type of ol" revolver in 22 LR, now boys, that baby was out of time, hell it would shave off half the bullit. Wanted to see if it had a drag line, it might have just been free wheeling for all I remember.

Last edited by jimmyd223; 05/29/07.

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
You guys are to much.

That ring is normal for this handgun.All the Charter Arms Do this.

Last edited by 1nice44special; 05/29/07.

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A bolt dragging on a cylinder ain't necessarily a bad thing. If a bolt does not lock or unlock at the proper TIME then ya got problems. Bullet shaving is improper alignment between chamber and barrel and most wheel guns get six shots at it (pun intended) but it don't have to be the bolts fault . Don't confuse timing with alignment as a gun can be timed perfectly with no bolt interference at all and still shave bullets. That's why God made range rods...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
jimmyd...I got a better plan...I'll send ya $50 and you send me the FA...is it a deal? I can live with the ring...grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nice bulldog. I've seriously considered buying one of those myself...I'll even make ya the same offer I made jimmyd...grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
OP Offline
This 44 is accurate.I can hit a apple at 30 yards.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fire that bulldog about 500 rounds and get back to us on how it is holding up. For a nice practice load try 6 grains of unique with the 240 swc of your choice.

good shooting

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
OP Offline
Well I put 500 rounds threw it this last month.It is holding up just fine.

I reloaded some fast loads.180 grain Hollow points.They were running 1,100 fps threw the crono.These were very accurate.

They were at almost max charge for that head.

Next I am going to load up some 300 grains an start at half max charge.

Last edited by 1nice44special; 06/03/07.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey man good work on picking up a Bulldog. I have one of the original old Charter Arms Bulldogs with the 3" barrel and walnut combat stocks. Great gun and has served me very well as my concealed carry gun and in the back country on snake patrol. Great little guns that can be pretty accurate for their size. I load mine up with 230 grain hollow base full wadcutters for just about everything and its works terrific.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you ever decide to have your revolver tuned, I'd recommend the pistolsmiths at Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. They are really good and have made a meaningful difference in the "useability" of every Rossi, Ruger, and S&W revolver that I've sent to them.

If you shoot enough heavy loads, whatever # that is, through a small frame revolver of any make/model, it will eventually shoot "loose". I learned this the expensive way, by shooting too many heavy loads in a S&W 19.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,364
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.