Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Nothing. They are great, unless you really need a fuggin dr. What do you have against drs?

You dont want to hear of a few things I've seen, really. Actually with some MDs too.

You really dont want to go there, whether you know it or not.

I could tell you a few things. Sometimes it’s not safe to generalize. 😉

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Map shows no ICU here in our county, daughter says we do have ICU here and the map is incorrect. I am unsure!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
local knowledge is best. probably hard to cobble together a report on every county in america.

it looks about right for Arizona. 1000 icu beds in Maricopa is amazing, but they probably have 4 million people there, lots of them older.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Nothing. They are great, unless you really need a fuggin dr. What do you have against drs?

You dont want to hear of a few things I've seen, really. Actually with some MDs too.

You really dont want to go there, whether you know it or not.

I could tell you a few things. Sometimes it’s not safe to generalize. 😉

Yep, I expect you are pretty much in the know. Man, I'd like to share a campfire with you, George. In a hunting camp, of course. Hoping and praying HE gives us that opportunity some fine time.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sounds like this thing can get really bad, very quick. I live close to many hospitals, but many people don’t. This virus is scaring the hell out of me!

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When folks are in need they are sent to large city hospital.

Same happened to me twice.

I lived thru it with out any bad affects.

One was south and the other was to the north.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sycamore
local knowledge is best. probably hard to cobble together a report on every county in america.

it looks about right for Arizona. 1000 icu beds in Maricopa is amazing, but they probably have 4 million people there, lots of them older.

Sycamore

where did you go to medical school and where did you your residency in infectious disease research?

clow

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by ironbender
CRNA is certified registered nurse anesthesiologist, yes?

Correct. CRNAs provide care in concert with a physician anesthesiologist, they aren't allowed to practice without physician oversight, but I have known a surgeon or two who prefer to have veteran CRNAs pass gas in lieu of a rookie physician.

Nurse Practitioners and Physicians' Assistants allow a physician to extend the amount of primary care that can be provided. Many rural hospitals and clinics employ NPs and PAs because they earn less than a board certified physician and can provide a wide range of routine primary care. That model runs into trouble when the mix of care in demand goes from routine to emergency.

Maybe this will be the catalyst for an overhaul of the healthcare delivery and payment systems.

When I was in healthcare administration, most NPs, and PAs weren't allowed to practice medicine without physician supervision, but it has been almost 25 years since I did that sort of work and it is likely that rules and regulations have changed.

I knew that. I've been knocked out by a couple of them locally. They've all been very good.

It looked like jag was conflating CRNAs with NPs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hamilton County in Ohio has just under 300 beds and 569 Boomers to go in each one. I guess we'll have to arm-wrestle for 'em.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WE HAVE A NATIONAL DISASTER GOING ON.. AND WE HAVE SICK-AMORE TO COME UP WITH AL;L THE "ENCOURAGING NEWS" HE CAN FIND...

Why don't you present solutions from sources instead of using this epidemic to get on your soap box, and try to get attention?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
After investigating the ICU here in our county, compared to the map! The map is bogus! Again a bogus MAP! So as usual the internet lies again!!!!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bwak, bwak, bwak...the sky...it's falling!.....Bwak

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by ironbender
CRNA is certified registered nurse anesthesiologist, yes?

Correct. CRNAs provide care in concert with a physician anesthesiologist, they aren't allowed to practice without physician oversight, but I have known a surgeon or two who prefer to have veteran CRNAs pass gas in lieu of a rookie physician.

Nurse Practitioners and Physicians' Assistants allow a physician to extend the amount of primary care that can be provided. Many rural hospitals and clinics employ NPs and PAs because they earn less than a board certified physician and can provide a wide range of routine primary care. That model runs into trouble when the mix of care in demand goes from routine to emergency.

Maybe this will be the catalyst for an overhaul of the healthcare delivery and payment systems.

When I was in healthcare administration, most NPs, and PAs weren't allowed to practice medicine without physician supervision, but it has been almost 25 years since I did that sort of work and it is likely that rules and regulations have changed.

I’ll correct you on a few things. I’ve done close to 20k cases, of all kinds, working with all-specialty surgeons without an anesthesiologist within fifty miles. In many states like as in Iowa, we have prescriptive authority. I also had a post-graduate credential to practice pain management from what was the American Academy of a Pain Management.

And, in some cases I was requested.

Back in the mid-1990's I managed an anesthesiology practice with 10 MDs and 6 CRNAs. The more senior and experienced CRNAs were allowed to practice semi-autonomously, but they had to be able to contact a board certified anesthesiologist in the event of a problem and had to be employed by a hospital or physician practice. But, as noted, I Haven't been involved in healthcare administration since 1997.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy

I think that this will end up with the financial impact being much worse than the impact to the health for the great majorities of Americans.

Or so it seems to me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sycamore: Yikes - I and the VarmintWife are apparently living in a "county" with NO I.C.U. beds?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

it's a quick run to Butte, Silver Bow county has 11 ICU beds. Or head south Bonneville county in Idaho has 35.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I think that this will end up with the financial impact being much worse than the impact to the health for the great majorities of Americans.

Or so it seems to me.

You understand the widespread reluctance to put a monetary value on a human life. Hard enough to value the loss of a leg, or an eye, for legal settlements. 1000 human lives or 5000 human lives, that's going to be tough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Or so it seems to me.

You understand the widespread reluctance to put a monetary value on a human life. Hard enough to value the loss of a leg, or an eye, for legal settlements. 1000 human lives or 5000 human lives, that's going to be tough.

There are approximately 330,000,000 U.S. citizens.

Every death is a tragedy for family and friends, but each death is also a fraction of a percent of the population as a whole.

As of 03/26/2020 there are approximately 75,000 cases of diagnosed COVID19 with approximately 1,100 deaths. 1,100 deaths is 1.47% of the diagnoses cases. I haven't seen a breakdown of the ages or underlying health of the deceased, but it is unlikely that the number of sick and dead are equally distributed through the population.

As noted previously, I think that more Americans are more likely to be directly impacted financially than they are to die from this virus.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
last number I saw was half ICU cases were over 65, half were under. Not sure if that was statewide (AZ) or national.

Beyond the deaths (hard to put $ number on that) there is a cost of medical treatment for the seriously ill, and the impact to others denied care because of the influx of those ill from Covid-19. a real economics problem, above my pay grade for sure.

Docs around here are preparing for the worst.already a tough place for respiratory cases (7000 ASL). Leadville, CO is the only hospital I can think of at a higher elevation, but don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of US hospitals.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the eight counties surrounding my own and including my county...nine total, there are seventeen ICU beds in two or three hospitals. There are eight hospitals, by my count. So seventeen beds in two or three hospitals out of eight hospitals in nine counties. Three of those counties don't even have a hospital.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can only think of 3 hospitals that would have ICU beds in our giant (land area not population) county. most of those beds are right here in town. but we are biggest town for hundreds of miles in most directions, except PHX, 140 miles south.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 2500HD, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,238 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.