Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a take-off Synthetic stock from a T3 that I may put on a T3 hunter ( that I am thinking of purchasing). Before I put my T3 243 in a McMillan Hunters Edge, I had cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner, Krylon spider webbed the stock (no base coat) and matte clear Duracoated it. After about a year, under good environmental conditions, the Duracoat and web paint was flaking off all over it. At that time I ordered the McEdge and I am very happy with it. The reason I won't do the McEdge thing again is because of the price increase plus 20 percent import (I live in Romania), plus international shipping. Way too much money. On the butt of the take off stock, after stripping all remnants of the failed paint job, I removed just enough of the butt to square it up and mounted a 1/2" recoil pad to shorten up the LOP just a bit. The stock weighs 28.06 ounces. I used a soldering iron to stipple the grip areas so it now has excellent grip. I would like to sponge camo paint it.
Now, my question for those of you that have painted your T3 stocks is: How is the painted finish holding up. If well, what did you clean the stock with before painting, what brand and type of paint did you use and did you use a clear coat over the paint? Thanks, RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload photos

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beaker cleaner wouldn’t be my first choice for cleaning. The only thing I’ve used is denatured alcohol to degrease and Krylon Fusion, followed by matte clear. Been awhile and it’s long gone so don’t know about longevity.

Stippling looks nice, I’ve done the same. T3 “grip” without it is pretty non existant.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks 16Bore, I did a couple of Browning X-Bolts with Krylon Fusion and matte clear about a year ago and they are holding up well so far. I was wondering if a difference in the Tikka stock material just would not allow the paint to stick well. I suppose I really have nothing to lose trying the Krylon Fusion, since I already have the paint. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The solvents in brake cleaner just seem to be a bit “hot” for plastics in my opinion.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Romania?

Isn’t that where vampires come from?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very hot water and dish soap is what the body shop uses to degrease plastic bumpers before painting

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Very hot water and dish soap is what the body shop uses to degrease plastic bumpers before painting
shocked

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sanded mine with 220, wiped it down with acetone,
Self etching primer and then krylon camouflage paint.
I need to get on my desk top as phone app I can’t get the right link. But here is a 223 in desert tan.
https://imgur.com/a/WWKmp

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FYI

There are two types of brake cleaner. Chlorinated and non-chlorinated. In my experience, non-chlorinated is safe for most firearm parts but use caution.

Chlorinated brake cleaner can definitely melt some plastic.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That said, brake cleaner can still leave a residue.

Acetone is my preferred cleaner.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
I need to get on my desk top as phone app I can’t get the right link. But here is a 223 in desert tan.

You need to click on your pic in your album one more time before getting the link. Once further will give you the link ending in .jpg

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Dre

You need to click on your pic in your album one more time before getting the link. Once further will give you the link ending in .jpg

I would like to paint my Tikka T3x stock, maybe even one of my CTR's. Of the tupperware stocks I've painted, I do like Dre mentions. Sand with 220-240 grit, wipe down with alcohol or acetone, let dry then use a plastics primer, paint, then after its dried I use a clear over top. I use rustoleum paint though. It holds up very well to abuse. I've painted many model 70 tupperware stocks that way and it never chips or flakes off...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen, thank you all for your info and suggestions. I am beginning to think the brake cleaner might be leaving a slight residue. I will probably use the soap and hot water followed by acetone to de grease before painting, RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no expert; but, for the ones I have done, sanding the entire thing first and then cleaning with denatured alcohol seems to have worked well for me. I've never used primer; but, I have always used a solid color as a complete base coat. I then paint to whatever pattern satisfies me. I then finish off with 3 to 5 layers of clear coat of some sort. Good luck with your project.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alcohol - paint - clear coat.... It’s a helluva stout finish for sure. I’ve never had a flake, chip or peel. Lots of miles bouncing around on the dashboard, back seat and drug all over.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Light sanding, acetone wipe down, sponges.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip.
I forgot to add matte or satin clear coat

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
JG, your Tikka pictured above inspired me to do sponge jobs on my 2 X-Bolts. That's an awesome paint job you did there. Thats the way I'm going to roll on the Tikka stock, sanding, acetone then paint. Thanks. RJ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do they get slippery?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pharmseller, both of my X-Bolts got the sticky stock disease. It was a pain in the ass stripping all of the degenerating rubber coating off, but the molded in gripping still left a pretty good gripping surface. The clear coat seams to make it just slightly less "grippy". Without the clear coat, I believe the Krylon Fusion paint will hold up for 2 or three hard seasons. So I may skip the clear coat next go-around. That's acceptable to me. Then I'll just strip it and sponge it again. Many years ago, I used Duracoat to paint my stocks. The 2 reasons I don't use it now is 1) it's a real pain to remove and 2) it's expensive. Duracoat scratches too, just not as easily as lacquer/enamel, RJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.