Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Geno,

Taint bad yet. Only 35 of confirmed cases and two deaths here in San Joaquin County. I believe the two deaths were directly related to one of the Cruiseship infections.

I believe he got all his plants and seeds from some of the other longtime old Italian farming families here locally.

He did however have grape vines from the old country that my Great Grandfather brought with him from Sicily.

As to a previous question you posted Stream Trout season opens last weekend April.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by FatCity67
My maternal Grandfather planted a lot of garlic. Remember his Shop/Shed being full of braids of hundreds of heads.

Ate it every day and every one of his kids and their families would get a braid of 20+ heads for Christmas every year.

Ain't nothing like it sold in stores. Even the stuff from Gilroy couldn't compare.

Old world Italian farming techniques died with him.

Might have been a variety from the old country,

If we knew what kind we could look for it from "enthusiasts".
Worked with a guy up in Juneau we called "Garlic Joe" , he had over 50 varieties planted I think. Loads of slightly different tastes.

Stuff from Gilroy is easily beaten by fresh homegrown garlic, even using the store variety (from Gilroy??) as starters.

Hope you're enjoying the "confinement" down there.

Geno

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I noticed there wasn't any last Wednesday, when I was grocery shopping. I have a bulb and a quarter left in my pantry from before the panic shopping started. Still seems good. I've also got plenty of garlic powder, if I run out .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you eat a lot of garlic, no need to consciously practice social distancing.

My grandfather ate a lot......claiming it helped fend off mosquitos when he was out mushroom hunting. I could smell him from 10 ft away, wind right.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a gardener of any sort, but a co-worker got me started several years ago and its so easy to grow.

Plant by late October. Plant clove sections a beer can deep and beer can apart. It'll be sprouting by late Jan easy. Snip the flower buds off when they appear. Save some of your best cloves for seed the next fall.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
My grandfather ate a lot......claiming it helped fend off mosquitos when he was out mushroom hunting.

I eat a lot - and have never been bothered by mosquitos since I started, back when I was doing maintenance in a mobile home park.

I could stand in a freshly-disturbed mosquito swarm and not be bit once - my co-worker standing well back would get bit all over.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
GOP principle. If you can't enhance the flavor and taste of the food you are preparing with Garlic, Onions and Peppers probably wasn"t fit to eat anyway. You heard it from me Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
We noted that the shelves were bare of garlic yesterday.
Wife and I joked that either people had heard a late night radio show professing the benefits of garlic against the flu, or that people were hoarding against the vampire army that was coming.
Apparently the United States gets 70% of our garlic from China and we have stopped importing. I may need to plant some this year.
There is a bunch of mythical virus protections, old wives tales, floating around the web. Eating garlic is one of them. Here's a short list put out by WHO. VIRUS PREVENTION

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One time my wife was out of town for a few days and I did all the cooking for my sons & I. After a few days my youngest told me "you know dad, you don't have to put garlic on everything just for me".

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy to grow in containers too. I have some in some old containers that cattle minerals came in, and they seem to do better than the ones in the garden. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hey Geno,

Taint bad yet. Only 35 of confirmed cases and two deaths here in San Joaquin County. I believe the two deaths were directly related to one of the Cruiseship infections.

I believe he got all his plants and seeds from some of the other longtime old Italian farming families here locally.

He did however have grape vines from the old country that my Great Grandfather brought with him from Sicily.

As to a previous question you posted Stream Trout season opens last weekend April.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
My maternal Grandfather planted a lot of garlic. Remember his Shop/Shed being full of braids of hundreds of heads.

Ate it every day and every one of his kids and their families would get a braid of 20+ heads for Christmas every year.

Ain't nothing like it sold in stores. Even the stuff from Gilroy couldn't compare.

Old world Italian farming techniques died with him.

Might have been a variety from the old country,

If we knew what kind we could look for it from "enthusiasts".
Worked with a guy up in Juneau we called "Garlic Joe" , he had over 50 varieties planted I think. Loads of slightly different tastes.

Stuff from Gilroy is easily beaten by fresh homegrown garlic, even using the store variety (from Gilroy??) as starters.

Hope you're enjoying the "confinement" down there.

Geno

Ha! My folks were just down in that country. Near there anyway.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Plant several varieties of Hardneck garlic (most garlic bought in grocery stores is the Softneck variety) around mid-October here in NEPA. Music, Purple Glazer and German Red are proven favorites. Well drained soil with rows about 30 inches apart, cloves of garlic around 6 inches apart and the tip of the clove down under about 2 inches of soil. Cover with about an inch or two of straw to both prevent the cloves from being heaved out of the ground by frost during the winter and also control weeds during the growing season. Garlic is very hardy and most varieties actually need some freezing weather to do well. Posted a pic in the Image Gallery (titled, Garlic is up) back on Jan 31st. Kind of signals the coming of Spring for me.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I buy the minced stuff in the big jugs with olive oil at Sam's Club. Those will last a long time and I use it liberally. I'm good on the garlic!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope they had a good time Jim. Felt like this place was classed up a bit.

Geno- Joe was my Grandfathers name.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Posted pics of the garlic taken just a few minutes ago in the Image Gallery.
One of the resident Cottontails has decided to build her nest in the middle of two rows. Pic #2 is a close-up of the nest. It’s pretty easy to see her form sitting on the light colored straw at night. Hopefully, a cat will not find the nest.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I only planted about 600 bulbs last fall. 8 different varieties. I hope it's enough to get me through.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Plant several varieties of Hardneck garlic (most garlic bought in grocery stores is the Softneck variety) around mid-October here in NEPA. Music, Purple Glazer and German Red are proven favorites. Well drained soil with rows about 30 inches apart, cloves of garlic around 6 inches apart and the tip of the clove down under about 2 inches of soil. Cover with about an inch or two of straw to both prevent the cloves from being heaved out of the ground by frost during the winter and also control weeds during the growing season. Garlic is very hardy and most varieties actually need some freezing weather to do well. Posted a pic in the Image Gallery (titled, Garlic is up) back on Jan 31st. Kind of signals the coming of Spring for me.

Music has been a consistent producer for me too. Probably just about the most consistent variety I plant for yield, hardiness, and taste.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by kid0917
we must get at least some from Ajo, AZ, right???

I planted some last fall given to me by a friend that was labeled ajo roja. No clue where he got it but it didn't fare well in the wet cold Pennsylvania winter. It's the worst looking garlic I have. But the seed Clive's didn't impress me either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Couple days ago I was reading about the benefits of zinc for the immune system. I take an occasional Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc supplement. Bought a couple more bottles yesterday figuring those will get cleaned out soon. If it fights flu or helps the immune system the shelves will be bare.

I start every day with raw pumpkin seeds. They are loaded with zinc and since i've been doing this my prostate has been 30yrs old rather than 56.
I'm sure they help in many ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackbat242
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
My grandfather ate a lot......claiming it helped fend off mosquitos when he was out mushroom hunting.

I eat a lot - and have never been bothered by mosquitos since I started, back when I was doing maintenance in a mobile home park.

I could stand in a freshly-disturbed mosquito swarm and not be bit once - my co-worker standing well back would get bit all over.

I just take my wife - she is a mosquito magnet - she can have a swarm around her and maybe one or two may land on me.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.