Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The National Rifle Association (NRA) is laying off employees and reducing salaries across the board in the largest personnel shake-up since the non-profit organization ousted its president at the annual meeting of members in 2019.

In a note that was distributed via email to the board of directors and executive council Monday afternoon, CEO Wayne LaPierre announced that his organization "faces extraordinary challenges resulting from COVID-19" and must institute several workforce adjustments, including "the elimination of certain positions," imposing a four-day workweek for hourly employees and 20 percent pay reductions across the board "while maintaining current workloads."

The email, relayed to the board by the NRA's general counsel, John Frazer, was obtained by Newsweek.

In response to a request for comment about whether LaPierre himself would be subject to the belt-tightening, the organization's outside counsel, Brewer, Attorneys and Counselors, said in a statement that "salary adjustments announced today apply to all levels of the organization."

LaPierre's compensation rose by 57 percent in 2018, the most recent year for which tax filings are available, to $2.15 million.

Though LaPierre cited the COVID-19 outbreak as the chief reason for the personnel changes, the announcement comes during an undeniable cash-crunch at the gun-rights group. Tax filings show that in 2018, the NRA's net assets declined by nearly $9 million to $16 million, their lowest levels in six years.

It was not immediately clear how the COVID-19 outbreak would impact the NRA's bottom line. In 2018, contributions, transfers, gifts, grants and member dues comprised around 80 percent of the organization's revenues.

The NRA was recently forced to announce that its annual meeting of members, set to take place in Nashville, Tennessee, in mid-April, would no longer be able to convene.

"We sincerely regret the need for this action," the group said in an earlier statement. "We were ultimately guided by our responsibility to help ensure the safety and well-being of our NRA members, guests, and surrounding community."

On Monday, LaPierre struck a similar tone, acknowledging that his organization had to "address immediate financial challenges and... plan for long-term impacts to ensure the viability of our organization."

"Unfortunately, these changes will necessitate the elimination of certain positions on either a temporary or, in some cases, permanent basis," he added.

The staffing reductions will be effective Sunday and schedules were adjusted to ensure "the maintenance of benefits eligibility" for hourly employees.

"Although we are unable to predict how long these pay-related adjustments will remain in effect, or the long-term financial impacts of COVID-19, they are intended to be temporary," LaPierre's note continued, further encouraging affected employees to "contact any germane state or federal agency to determine eligibility for any additional aid."

Laid off NRA employees will be among the hundreds of thousands of Americans in recent weeks who have suddenly found themselves in one of the worst economic contractions in U.S. history. The Department of Labor reported that in mid-March, unemployment claims spiked to 281,000, the highest level since 2017.

Monday's statement from the Brewer firm noted that the COVID-19 epidemic and its accompanying nationwide lockdown have "caused a major disruption to our fundraising activities."

"Based on state or local restrictions and guidance from public health authorities, we have been forced to cancel all Friends of NRA banquets across the country, other planned events, special programs, gun shows, recruitment stations, and various other streams of expected income," the statement added.

The coronavirus outbreak represents just the latest fiscal crisis for the NRA, whose flagging finances amid an ethics and governance scandal have required the organization to take steps to shore up its balance sheet. The Trace has reported, for example, that free coffee was eliminated at the group's headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia.

The NRA and its charitable foundation are currently being investigated by the attorneys general for New York and the District of Columbia over alleged violations of their tax-exempt status, which requires that no insider derive a personal benefit from non-profit assets.

The three have since become entangled in a legal morass spanning multiple states, with accusations of deception and betrayal playing out in various lawsuits. North wrote in a letter during the final days of his tenure as president that invoices from the Brewer firm, the NRA's outside counsel, were "draining NRA cash at mindboggling speed."

During the first quarter of 2019, the firm was being paid nearly $100,000 per day for its legal services. Brewer's defenders have noted that the NRA's voluminous litigation has racked up significant wins, including against the cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco for policies targeting gun-rights supporters.

Turnover at the NRA in recent months has jeopardized its ability to remain among the country's most politically influential organizations; and the fact that 2020 is an election year will only amplify the consequences of Monday's announcement. The NRA spent a record $55 million on the 2016 presidential election, $30 million of which went to supporting then-candidate Donald Trump.

Eight directors on the group's board have resigned since last May.

During a period of months in the fall of 2019, after a pair of especially gruesome mass shootings, the NRA was put on the defensive, pressured to demonstrate its continued political leverage during a time when many gun-rights supporters have become disaffected with the group. There appear to have been some moderate successes: The New York Times reported that the group secured concessions from Trump in a private phone call just as talk of new gun controls on Capitol Hill appeared viable for the first time in years.

But questions remain about whether the group can retain its unrivaled political influence in Congress, where a sitting U.S. representative, Don Young (R-AK), also serves on the NRA's board. Top officials at the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA), its lobbying arm and connection to Washington D.C., departed last year. One of them, Chris Cox, the division's former top lobbyist, was mentioned in a lawsuit against North, where he was accused of participating in a conspiracy to oust LaPierre.

David Lehman, NRA-ILA's general counsel who had been filling in for Cox amid the staffing deficit, left in August.

"Over the years, we've weathered more tough times than most," LaPierre concluded in his note Monday. "But we will rise from this stronger and well positioned to lead the fight to protect our Second Amendment, the First Amendment, and all our constitutional freedoms during the crucial upcoming elections and for years to come."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Perhaps I am ignorant, but my sense of it is that Wayne LaPierre is a fuggin’ prick that is killing the NRA. I despise the man.

Others’ MMV.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe they have heard the voice of the people ? Or at least the voice of the purse.
I did not renew diw to LWP, wrote them and told them that he was the only reason for my cease of supporting them.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I've been calling for his removal for near 20 years. Of course the Board pays no attention to the members.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They will listen when the $$ stops. Plus their stance lately has been one of giving and giving in, they need to stand up. and fight.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the board got rid of LaPierre would that be enough to save the NRA?

Would anyone still trust the NRA enough to renew memberships and donate to the cause?

I'm not sure that I would. I've gone GOA all the way.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If he's "laid off" I'm sure he has a Golden Parachute. Would it be enough to get my business back? Yes, it would. There are other actions I don't necessarily approve of, but the Board voted on them.

Like spending so much to produce a TV show that most Americans can't get, or going on exotic hunts that most can't afford. Why not raffle the hunts for paying members? Take as a guest?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Perhaps I am ignorant, but my sense of it is that Wayne LaPierre is a fuggin’ prick that is killing the NRA. I despise the man.

Others’ MMV.

Naw you ain't ignorant, you're just strange. wink

Last edited by 12344mag; 03/24/20. Reason: And you're right.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't follow this closely, but it appears it's time to do so. Sounds like WLP needs to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I don't follow this closely, but it appears it's time to do so. Sounds like WLP needs to go.

Long overdue.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I remain a strong supporter of the NRA. I have not fled to GOA or anywhere else. But I can do math.

If WLP got a 57% raise and now got a 20% pay cut, that's a 37% increase. Did you get a 37% raise?

WLP should retire, quit, get fired, whatever. His presence is hurting the cause of 2nd Amendment support.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The NRA won't get another penny of my money as long as Wayne is on their payroll.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
He isn’t going anywhere

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No gain until no Wayne!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The NRA has suffered irreparable damage at the present leadership's hands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
The NRA has suffered irreparable damage at the present leadership's hands.

I think the NRa could return to it's usefulness if they got rid of Wayne and got back on track, I don't hold out much hope though.

My money now goes to GOA and 2AF.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The sad but predictable thing is that even if the Board decides to remove him, they will have secretly colluded to "feather his nest" rather lavishly in compensation. And then elect one of their own good old boys of the same ilk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
If the board got rid of LaPierre would that be enough to save the NRA?

Would anyone still trust the NRA enough to renew memberships and donate to the cause?

I'm not sure that I would. I've gone GOA all the way.

Same here. I'm finished with the NRA.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WLP and his Board cronies will forever be known as the ones whose greed killed the NRA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I remain a strong supporter of the NRA. I have not fled to GOA or anywhere else. But I can do math.

If WLP got a 57% raise and now got a 20% pay cut, that's a 37% increase. Did you get a 37% raise?

WLP should retire, quit, get fired, whatever. His presence is hurting the cause of 2nd Amendment support.

Not that it matters, but the math only nets out to a 26.6% raise for WLP, not a 37% increase as you state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.