A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hoarding means "I will not share with you!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
My mother in law is a hoarder, but it’s nothing that anyone else would want.

I bet find a mummified cat in her living room one day.

If it’s literally mummified, I’d be interested, even if you don’t have the original sarcophagus.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I hear lots of crying and moaning about hoarding and hoarders, but haven't heard a good definition of it....basically it seems to be "anyone who had more than me". How much is too much of anything,and who gets to decide?

Look it up in a dictionary. The people who are emptying the shelves in the the stores by buying way more need aren't hoarders. They are selfish greedy people (mostly Democrats) who don't care about other people's needs. They're only becomes hoarders if they hide all the extra stuff they bought. From what I've seen so far (even on here) the people that bought way more they needed are proud of it.

How much do you need? Who decides? The media likes to make it seem like this could go on for months yet. If that is true, you'll need a lot more of everything than if its over in a few weeks.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A now gone friend I used to work with told me the story of his aunt when WWII broke out. It seems that, almost immediately, she bought a bunch of flour, sugar, can't remember what all, and had it stored in her cellar. When he asked why she was doing that, she told him she needed to stock up, "..before the hoarders get it all."

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I hear lots of crying and moaning about hoarding and hoarders, but haven't heard a good definition of it....basically it seems to be "anyone who had more than me". How much is too much of anything,and who gets to decide?

Seems that “society” decides. Nobody is concerned about hoarding when supplies are readily available. But, like the story of the ant and the grasshopper..... when the supplies run short it is the grasshoppers of the world that scurry about excoriating those terrible hoarders..... as usual, they want something for nothing.....in the main, they are irresponsible freeloaders.

Having said that, I am blessed with an abundant supply of tp, from which I have already given a load to a family of needy grasshoppers. Oddly, in this family, both parents work but simply did not realize what was happening around them until the shelves were bare.

Got caught with their pants down before they got a clue.

Last edited by TF49; 03/24/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hoarding is when a 70+ year old couple living in a 4500 square foot house can only use one and 1/2 of the 3 .5 bathrooms and only access the closet on the main floor of their house, when their kids finally got the dad to clean out the house when the mom died it took 6+ dumpsters and 2 weeks of work , that is not even including stuff that was put in consignment houses and sold on Ebay. . One room had brand new pocketbooks and shoes still in the original boxes box stacked floor to ceiling. Both were retired Scientists. Go figure

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston

If it’s literally mummified, I’d be interested, even if you don’t have the original sarcophagus.

I prob should have said jerkyfied

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the idea is to buy this stuff when its not crisis, so you don't have to be in the middle of that craziness fighting for a roll of toilet paper.

that isn't hoarding, that is planning

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Hoarding is when a 70+ year old couple living in a 4500 square foot house can only use one and 1/2 of the 3 .5 bathrooms and only access the closet on the main floor of their house, when their kids finally got the dad to clean out the house when the mom died it took 6+ dumpsters and 2 weeks of work , that is not even including stuff that was put in consignment houses and sold on Ebay. . One room had brand new pocketbooks and shoes still in the original boxes box stacked floor to ceiling. Both were retired Scientists. Go figure

Hmm....change out a couple of key words and what you describe could be me. I have a property with a eight car garage and it is largely filled with “stuff.” My wife asked me once if I was ever going to clean out the garage or be irresponsible and leave that chore to the kids.

I told her that the kids could take care of it. I have more fishing to do and they have the entire lives ahead of them to take care of the garage.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I learned my lesson in 2008 when the construction industry collapsed and things got tighter than I've ever experienced. I buy in bulk when things were cheap, especially around thanksgiving when canned and boxed food is deeply discounted, turkeys and hams cheap, christmas when beef is cheap. Always watching sales to add or replenish.

We are well set with staples and meat in the freezer, beans, rice and flour.

The perishables are all we need now... eggs, potatoes, bread, chips, tortillas, fruit, lettuce. Though I can make rolls and biscuits and my wife can make great flour tortillas in a pinch.

My larder is full because it was already.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
A now gone friend I used to work with told me the story of his aunt when WWII broke out. It seems that, almost immediately, she bought a bunch of flour, sugar, can't remember what all, and had it stored in her cellar. When he asked why she was doing that, she told him she needed to stock up, "..before the hoarders get it all."

Excellent post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

I prob should have said jerkyfied

Tease.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (12344mag, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.