Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by memtb
I’m heavily invested in “precious metals”.......wheel weights! wink memtb

It was trading at Acadamy for about $35/lb....
Might a been a little copper mixed in.

I can get a lot of silver/gold.....with a few ounces of wheel weights! grin Just saying! My wheel weight, one day, may be more valuable than many other precious metals! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/24/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My precious metal of choice for investing is LEAD. I have probably 800 or 900 pounds in ingots, cast bullets or balls. If push comes to shove, I could get a lot of gold and silver with the lead I have on hand.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

With the higher cost, why is this the best way to buy?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

With the higher cost, why is this the best way to buy?

Because of their recognition.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't follow precious metals but see that if you were buying 100 Silver Eagles, they'd run $23.79/ea. So is this a good/bad price for a long-term purchase?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't follow precious metals but see that if you were buying 100 Silver Eagles, they'd run $23.79/ea. So is this a good/bad price for a long-term purchase?

Hard to say. But that's well above spot price at present.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down I understand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down I understand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?

In normal times silver bars and ingots sell for about a $1 an ounce over spot. Silver Eagles, roughly $4 over. I would wait for "normal" times before buying,

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Be sure to cast a few bullets out of silver- - - - -just in case you encounter a werewolf instead of a zombie! Throwing Bud Light cans- - - -even full ones- - -doesn't work!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Noted both points! Thank you.... wink

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
During some of the previous panic. I bought some silver 1 oz bars and rounds...I have one large chunk of silver...100 oz....don't recomend this as it hard to sell when no one has cash...years ago I bought lead in various form...lots of bullets and 22 rf before the Harding...sold some of that to friends who wanted to take there kids shooting...I wouldn't let the horders hav it....also bought about 3000 lbs of lead blankets that came out of a nuke plant...either melt it down for shot or bullets or sell for scrap....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This guy Thanks God that his granddaddy was a head cashier at our small town bank from the mid 30-60's and had an eye for coins with value.
He used to tell us stories of going through every till at the end of the day and swapping out coins that he knew had or would have value beyond face value.
Buckets of silver and quite a few gold pieces.
He kept all of it and passed down to his only son[dad] which has been slowly doling them out to us[3 sons] each Christmas.
I love the feeling of holding $20 gold pieces in hand.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Seems like if one is not investment-diversified yet, this current situation is a wake up call to be.
I have been thinking about putting some money in gold/silver, but have no clue on which are trustworthy resources to look into/purchase.
Bars vs coins? seems coins retain better value
silver is less volatile, but cheaper in good performing markets.

Any insight gentlemen?

If you want to invest in the metal only, rather than in the form it comes in, your best bet is kilo or 10 oz bars. Don't get the bars that have collector value due to the mint being out of business or the mint being collected. Go with bars that are closest to spot, which is usually a bar that's got a currently in operation mint making them, such as APMEX. With APMEX bars, or the like, you are getting very close to exchanging currency for silver, rather than contaminating your silver purchase with collector value. Same goes for gold, but in smaller weights, unless you're quite wealthy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every time the price drops suddenly no one has anything to sale. It is all out of stock.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Every time the price drops suddenly no one has anything to sale. It is all out of stock.

This is true. The reason for this is that it's an artificial, paper driven, low. If it were the actual market price, folks would be happy to sell to you, and there would be plenty of it to sell. Those who hold it, in other words, don't agree that this is the actual price, so it's actually not the actual price. It's sellers who determine the real price, and if they won't sell at the paper price, the paper price is bogus. Take advantage of the sale, though, by finding some one who is willing to contract for a purchase, and will deliver when they can get it. APMEX will happily do that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What would you consider a good price above spot for silver eagles and with precious metals following the market up and down

It used to be 12% to 16% for silver (roughly $2).

Iunderstand there's no "time" to buy but what would be the best conditions under which to make a purchase (in general)?

For the past year, anything near $12. Now? Anybody’s guess. The pandemic has resulted in the ceasing of mining operations. No idea when that will be reflected in pricing.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Seems like if one is not investment-diversified yet, this current situation is a wake up call to be.
I have been thinking about putting some money in gold/silver, but have no clue on which are trustworthy resources to look into/purchase.
Bars vs coins? seems coins retain better value
silver is less volatile, but cheaper in good performing markets.

Any insight gentlemen?

Silver is actually a bit more volatile on average, than gold. Coins like the silver eagle have added value in that both the nature of the coin and it's silver content are widely known. And they are in a convenient denomination for trade purposes. This is also why junk silver dimes are preferred by many.

Current prices of silver eagles seem high, given spot price, but the market will settle. Current spot price is affected by the fire sale of those who used it to hedge the commodities markets.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

NO and NO

First off metals have never outpaced the Markets. Second coins are a sellers dream. If you want to invest in metals do it in either stocks, funds, or ETF's.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Silver eagles
Gold eagles

NO and NO

First off metals have never outpaced the Markets. Second coins are a sellers dream. If you want to invest in metals do it in either stocks, funds, or ETF's.

Anything other than the physical metals in your possession is nothing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stopped by my local coin dealer
Eagles were $24.00 with spot at $12.00 and change

He said -- that is what it will cost to replace them---

I passed!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.