Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After I bought it and had it for a couple months I took it to a range in preparation of a hunt put on for the Boy Scouts to sight in. There was an old man there that my family knew who was sort of a guru with guns. I was feeling so proud of my new shiny toy until he raked it over the coals telling me what a crap job Winchester did to the Model 70 in 1964.

In the Spring of 1975, I bought a slightly used 1974 Model 70 PF 30-06. I too was very proud of my "Mod 70", and I had a Wide View 2x7 on it. I located a a gent in the nearby town who handloaded. He loaded me up some "accuracy loads" from the Sierra manual, with the 165 SGK. It was one accurate old rifle! I shot many sub MOA groups with it, and "every Self-appointed Expert" also ragged on me ( unsolicited too, can you imagine that? ha) what a POC it was. I knew it was not a "Pre 64", but it felt good in my hands. I liked it. About that time I got heavy into my "Bowhunting Phase" and sold it buy equipment.

I use a bolt rifle almost exclusively, no matter where I hunt, but especially out West here. I have killed a lot of deer/hogs in E. Texas growing up with a Mod 94 Classic 30-30. I didn't use a scope until I was 22, ha. My last Mule Deer was shot with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. A very fine woods rifle. But now I'm sticking with a flat shooter scoped bolt rifle. I prefer the "Mountain Rifle style" now. Kimber 84L/270 and a Mesa 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed is being set up for my Grand Daughter as an heirloom/target rifle, maybe she will hunt with it later. She is only 10 now and I will let my Marine SIL fight with my overprotective daughter to teach her to shoot, ha. The rest of my Grandkids could care less, so be it. BUT watch out for those "Experts"! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/04/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It depends...

When I started hunting (in Colorado) the only rifle that I had was a Model U-9 .30-06 from Herter's. I hunted everything with it: 125 grain bullets for prairie dogs, 150 grain bullets for deer and antelope, and 180 grain bullets for elk.

About 10 years later I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and for the next 20+ years that rifle shooting 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets put 20+ elk and 2 moose in my freezer.

When I re-chambered the .30-06 I also built a .257 Ackley and a .22-250.
The .257 Ackley was built on a Mauser Mark X action and shooting 115-120 grain bullets is still my "go to" rifle for deer and antelope, and was for all of my mountain sheep hunting.

The .22-250 still is my dedicated varmint rifle, although it also put several deer and antelope into my freezer.

About 10 years ago I finally fulfilled a life long dream and bought a .300 Weatherby. I mainly built it for elk, but it fast became my favorite rifle, and I have used it on a number if international hunts. I currently only hunt with 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in it for hunting.

Since I put about 100 hours of work into each of the Fancy walnut stocks of most of my other hunting rifles, I have a SS plastic stocked Rem 700 in 7 mm Rem mag for my foul weather rifle. My hunting bullet for it is 160 grain Nosler Accubonds, and I have also taken it on a number of international hunts.

For the biggest and baddest critters I have a .375 RUM in a SS Rem 700 and with a laminated stock. It likes both Barnes 270 and 300 grain TSX bullets, and I have taken it to Africa twice shooting critters varying from 25 to over 1500 pounds.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You wouldn't play a round of golf with one club, so why would you limit yourself to one rifle if you face different hunting situations?

There is a place in my bag for a driver, when I want to hit long, and a pitching wedge, when I need to shoot short.

There is a place in my rack for both long range bolt guns and short range lever, pump, and semi-autos.

My primary elk rifles are both 270s, both using the same load,, a CLR for deliberate shots in open areas and a 760 for jump shooting in the timber.

When I retire back in NH, I'll probably over-watch with a stainless Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor and still-hunt through the woods with my 50-something 44 International.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have always favored the 3006. I have a small shop in Kaunakakai, HI and sell guns n ammo. By far the best selling ammo is 270 win., followed by 308 and 3006. The younger generation all seen to be into 6.5 creed, 22 hornet, 22 250 and a few into 338 lapua. It is rare for me to sell 3030 ammo. Most hunting here is for subsistence. There is some reloading but shipping is difficult and expensive.h Mel

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sako 85 Finnlight 2 in 308

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Matty99669
Just curious about others hunting enviornments. Whats the make and caliber of your "go-to" rifle? The one you take out most in a season. The one you could never sell if they are all one in the same.

We mostly only get to hunt deer here. For that, I've been mostly using a 700 faux TI in 257 Roberts, but a similar custom 700 in 280 punched my tag this past year.

If I did get drawn for moose, I'd probably use the 700 3oo H&H frankenrifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Texas...Bolt Action Country....is where we are, depending on the length of the sendero / a cut lane bull dozed and pushed out, you can have one 2 miles long to hunt on...this is normal. That means you have some long shots that can and do happen almost all of the time. We do have game close if the feeders are set up near your blind, but a great deal of the game walks a long way off from those feeders just grazing and moving in their daily push to the evening bed down spots scattered all over. Lots, and I mean lots of Texas brush Mesquite / cactus country where a fence line will be not too far and you want that game down...NOW.
So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.

I am the only one out of all of us that handloads...yeah I know. So when "scope checks" (lots of beer ...very cold Keystone and fun) before the season begins are needed, my chronograph gets a workout by all there. Since that has happened they want accuracy with speed...so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. Accurate tracking/zero holding scopes and flat/fast bullets are all that matter here.

For me the .243 Winchester is my rifle most of the time, as it is "on the button" at 270 yds. My recent "discovery" of the 7mm Remington Magnum in a Savage 24" Texas truck gun will change that....with speer 145 grain btsp's at 3000 something fps once its all set up the way I want it.

Best

Heavy

Last edited by HeavyDove; 03/06/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been shooting this one mainly for the last 35 years........Model 70 30Gov't06.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But, last year picked up a Bergara Woodsman in 6.5 Creedmoor. Must say I really like that rifle also. Beautiful stock, about a pound lighter than the M70, less recoil, super accurate, a hammer on mule deer - but does not have the class of the M70.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt mostly in GA and Browning bolt actions are quite popular here, almost every truck has a Browning sticker in the window. A generation ago, they Remington 742 semi-autos and Marlin / Winchester lever actions were very popular but a new generation of hunters are mostly using bolt actions in common chamberings (270, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, 308, etc...). 20+ years ago, I settled on Win 70s only in various chamberings but lately I've added a couple of CA Ridgelines. Rem 700s are very popluar in most deer camps in the south. As much as people like to talk about long shots on beanfields, most hunt in planted pines with limited distance. We have lots of farm land but mature bucks don't seem to stand around in cotton fields in daylight and make it past opening day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mossberg 30-30 with 2-7X scope. This handy carbine performs excellent for deer and wild hogs within reasonable shooting distances. Ammo is affordable and found anywhere.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Heavy Dove said above ^^^^^^^

" So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.
"

Also "so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. "

WELL ! Seems that I have more company in my CHOICES than I even thot.
Wonder why ? smirk (sarcasm)

uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ZuluDawn
[quote =jwall]

Simple curiosity. Why 8 twist on 16.5” bll. ?
(beside that you wanted it, understood)

1. It was available at a discounted price (Ordered from Krieger and not picked up by customer.) 😁
2. It has stabilized the full spectrum of bullet weights (110-175gr), proven very accurate with them, and seems to regain some velocity lost by the shorter barrel.

Todd Hodnett at Accuracy First turned me on to the 8T concept for .30cals after a lot of testing and the concept seems to be working. So, when this barrel came available me, I jumped on it. [/quote]

Thnx Zulu, I should have focused my ? on 16.5" bll. and I think you answered that as well.
Thnx.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My region was the world. With the stock market crash.......my region is getting much smaller! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
My region was the world. With the stock market crash.......my region is getting much smaller! grin memtb

LOL...kinda smile

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
REDUX
I like it so much, I had to read it again. grin

[quote=jwall]Heavy Dove said above ^^^^^^^

" So what does all this mean..... a FLAT shooting rifle for the "whatever" distance that pops up is always needed not so much a want. So that leans, damn near everybody here, to FAST, 'high step'n" loads for .270's, .22-250's, 7 RM's , 257 Weatherby's ( 2 in our group) , .243 win / wssm's and 130 grain FAST loads for .3006/.308...all are proven killers over and over again from many of our good friends.
"

Also "so they choose the most accurate choice (factory) that also has the highest speed and set their scope accordingly. Usually thats 2 1/2 "s high at 100. Our Weatherby shooters and 7 RM gals and guys are at 3" high at 100. As far as brand names of rifles.....no one gives a chit.....its flatness is what they want. "

WELL ! Seems that I have more company in my CHOICES than I even thot.
Wonder why ? smirk (sarcasm)

uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried MANY times to get some of them to handload for their rifles. All the while explaining they could make their trajectory even flatter. Considering they use factory ammo I showed them my sight in was less in height, it therefore shot "flatter". Fell on deaf ears but I try every year anyway..

I like to hand load and try different combinations all the time. The crowd I am with wants to get it done and not mess with a bunch of powders and bullets. I think they shy away from the unknown.

Best

Heavy

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like my Ruger Mk II stainless, 30-06 with the Zytel stock and Leupold VX 3 2.5-8 X 36. It's a do anything, in any weather set up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately herein south west MI, I'm limited. Been using a 450 bushy last couple of years and now I'm gonna try out a 350L upper I picked up.

It is what it is

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Probably my m70 extreme weather 30-06, Zeiss conquest 3-9 with McMillan featherweight stock.

I like to use the 200g partitions and 200g eldx with that rifle.

I’ve used it on moose, caribou, elk and mule deer.

M
M
Interarms Mark X in .25-06 Remington

Zastava LK M70 in 7X64mm Brenneke

Remington 798 rebarreled to .338-06

I like controlled round feed bolt action rifles for hunting grin

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.