Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I read the Marines going back to being Marines thread the other day and have observed it, living only a few miles from Camp Lejeune. Today I received my email copy of Army Echos, the US Army retiree quarterly newsletter. It normally begins with a column by the Chief of Staff, I copied and pasted the second half of his column below. Evidently the entire DOD is transitioning back away from light desert warfare to becoming more concerned with our peer competitors (Russia and China). Odessa

Your Army is modernizing to ready itself for a return to great power competition and the
threat of large-scale ground combat. Those of you who served in the 1970s and 1980s might
remember the days of transitioning to AirLand Battle and developing “The Big 5.” Now we’re
adopting the concept of multi-domain operations and developing our six modernization
priorities: long-range precision fires, a next generation combat vehicle, future vertical lift,
the Army network, air and missile defense, and Soldier lethality. This spring we’re executing
Defender 2020 in Europe, the largest Army exercise in 25 years. Ten countries will host
37,000 participants, including Soldiers from five divisions, National Guard Soldiers from
eleven states, and seven Army Reserve units. Our current Soldiers and potential recruits can’t
visualize an exercise of that scale or something so foreign to the post-9/11 environment they
know. Many of you can though, especially those from our REFORGER era. I encourage you to
tell those stories.
The Army must be ready for a 21st century environment that has much in common with the
20th century environment of its past. And you are our best historians. Please help me to keep
your Army the world’s premier fighting force.
People First! Winning Matters! Army Strong!
Gen. James C. McConville
40th Chief of Staff of the Army

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Corps is axing all of its tank battalions and cutting grunt units

clic pic for story

[Linked Image from armytimes.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gearing up for China?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
In the icbm age...no

More than likely more [bleep] in the desert or perhaps Africa...

GOD Bless America
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jim McConville was my Brigade commander when I was in 1st Cavalry Division. Flew him in a Longbow several times. A great commander and a very smart man.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They wanting to cut the grunts? Are the Chinese cutting their grunts too?
I can remember back in accent times <83> when I went threw basic training, the D.I.'s where always barking for us to get our shiRts together because if we where to go against the Chinese at that time with their population, it would have been 5 to1 on the battle field. 5 Chinese to 1 American soldiers.

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Jim McConville was my Brigade commander when I was in 1st Cavalry Division. Flew him in a Longbow several times. A great commander and a very smart man.

John

John, are you or were you an Apache pilot? If you are/were I have a couple of questions for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U.S. Marines in the Boxer Rebellion

Pvt. Dan Daly and 1stLt Smedley Butler were a couple of the names associated with fighting the Chinese back at the turn of the Century. We learned this history and these names, among other great Marine Corps heroes, in bootcamp.

[Linked Image from archives.gov]
Chinese Boxer

[Linked Image from archives.gov]
U.S. Marines landing in Peking

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

John, are you or were you an Apache pilot? If you are/were I have a couple of questions for you.

Yes. PM to you.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.