Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My having food is the least of my worries, as I live on a farm with cattle and wild game, and grow a big garden. Keeping others away from it is what I'm worried about.

Same here.

We have enough for about two years.
If we lose power, we'll lose a ton of homegrown beef, deer and elk, but we'd survive on rice, flour and beans.

Keeping all of the above (and our cattle) could get interesting. I called neighbors to coordinate a community defense plan should it be needed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Has anyone seen the slightest indication that the food supply chain will break down?

why bring that up?

And ruin a good thread

Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone seen the slightest indication that the food supply chain will break down?

When the truck driver get the flu?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A year. Got a 2 year supply of firewood. Water from a mountain spring.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

yes
indications from two nationally reconized grocery chains from people working in there that tell me they are only getting partial shipments or no
shipments from sold out items.
a lot of it depends on how long this continues.
i tried to put in an online order to costgo yesterday, most items out of stock.
they took the order, then canciled what i had ten minutes later.
people are already desparate, not everyone has the forethought, facilities, or money to stockpile, other than week to week.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/25/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
While we’re on a kindofa worst case scenario, Those that think their livestock and hunting opportunities will carry them through....should rethink. Neither will last long, in a true, starvation panic. That 1200 pound steer, will be found lying in the field, missing whatever meat the beef killer could carry....the rest left to rot! Those with freezers would likely fair a little better....provided your neighbors didn’t know about your freezer! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/25/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

yes
indications from two nationally reconized grocery chains from people working in there that tell me they are only getting partial shipments or no
shipments from sold out items.
a lot of it depends on how long this continues.
i tried to put in an online order to costgo yesterday, most items out of stock.
they took the order, then canciled what i had ten minutes later.
people are already desparate, not everyone has the forethought, facilities, or money to stockpile, other than week to week.

Curios as to what you had ordered...

Did you order items that were listed as "out of stock" when you ordered them?
Were you ordering bulk amounts of a single product or just one or two of each item as they are typically packaged?

I've been doing a comparison between Walmart vs Amazon.

Historically I have been a mail order shopper for years, long before Amazon or Walmart got into the game, mainly just due to living in remote regions with limited to no local shopping being available.

I normally just order specialty foods and meats via "mail order" but most everything else I buy comes via mail.

I don't prepare many meals at home, maybe average 2-3 home cooked meals a week, normally it's steak or seafood cook outs with friends invited. I had little for basics on hand other than specialty meats and seafood prior to a couple weeks ago.

I decided to bulk up on basics to limit my times out of the house....

I placed around 8 different Amazon orders and a couple of Walmart orders, mostly food but various non-food items as well.
I haven't ordered anything that is listed as currently out of stock.

Amazon has kicked azz, Walmart has fallen on their face.

I have one outstanding Amazon order, it hasn't been canceled but just a projected date of delivery. That order was mostly dried meats such as jerky and sausage sticks and the like.
All my other Amazon orders have arrived either on time or ahead of time by 24hrs, not sure if the faster than stated deliveries have been due to Amazon or the various shippers efficiencies. A couple of the orders have been split into two separate orders by Amazon but that is typical of them anytime.

The Amazon deliveries have been taking maybe a day or two longer than pre-pandemic orders would.

Walmart is a whole nutter story..

Out of maybe 30 items total of the two orders I place only 3 items have shown up, both orders qualified for free shipping.

Again, I ordered nothing that was listed as "out of stock" when these orders were placed.

The first item to arrive was 50 paper cupcake liners, weighing like 2 ounces and nested together, if you were to flatten them, they'd be the size of a pack of cigarettes, price was like 75 cents. They came via Fedex in their own box, they looked rather lonely in there all by themselves. They were suppose to be white but arrived in some festive design print, no matter, they will do.

Two days later I received a three pack of jam and some other small meaningless item.
Again, huge box delivered via Fedex...

I just got notice Walmart has sent another item involved in one of my orders, it's a single roll of masking tape and it's coming via Fedex, all by it's self.

These guys are gonna to go broke on shipping alone at this rate. I went back to my mounding pile of cardboard that's accumulated with these recent orders to check on where they have been shipping from. It's coming out of Indiana, I guess that's the closest place they have to Florida for jelly, cupcake liners and masking tape.

Mean while, thanks to Amazon and some great work by Fedex, UPS and the USPS, my pantry is stocked with basic dry and canned goods. I probably have as much as the normal family of four would keep on hand.

It'll last me for weeks, I'm still eating out a lot. A few of my favorite restaurants are doing call in, curb delivery and one is delivering complete meals to the door twice a week.

My meat source says he is solid and will continue his every Mondays shipments. Says he could use a few new customers due to a drop off in his restaurant sales and the closure of a couple farmers markets he normally sells at.

Anyone in the South West interested in some dam good meats delivered to your door check out https://arrowheadbeef.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If the electricity stays on I could eat well for seven months maybe eight. If the electric goes out I could produce enough electric to Keep my freezers and refrigerators running for a month and a half maybe two months.I have a year’s worth of freeze dried and MRE’S. I have access to water and means to defend what I have. But we all know how that could end up , You can only defend something for so long until eventually somebody bigger badder and better is gonna whip your ass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
2 chest freezers & fridge freezer full, 2 deer, 1 pig & 1 lamb + commercial beef, 6 whole pork loins, 6kg bacon, 12 doz homemade perogies, 8 loaves of rye bread.

Flour & rice, pasta & canned goods abundant, coffee running low but easy to restock.

Filtered water from our well.

As long as electricity stays on 3-4 months easily.

But would have to restock liquor & cigarettes !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Good time to quit them smokes.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right now I have four cottontails, two quail and half a dozen collared doves in my back yard. I'm good as long as the grass and seed hold out.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
We stocked up a bit and have gone for 8 days without having to go to the grocery. We could go another week if we had to with no problem.

For some reason, my wife enjoys grocery shopping and our food storage appliances usually stay well stocked.

She dug a big beef roast out of the freezer a couple of days ago and cooked up a big pot of excellent beef stew that we've been eating on since then.

I'll probably venture out soon to pick up a load of whatever's out there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Use to fish with a black womern,( my grandmother’s housekeeper)

I’d be releasing 3” bream

She got on to me.....”honey chyle dems is sweeet fish, let em in my pail”

lol

The colored woman that took me fishing as a kid couldn't swim? But she use to tell me, if they big enough to bite theys big enough to et. I sure miss Gaddy and Shorty.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

lol

The colored woman that took me fishing as a kid couldn't swim? But she use to tell me, if they big enough to bite theys big enough to et. I sure miss Gaddy and Shorty.

She never did let you suck on one of them big ol' teets, did she? 😂😂😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the financial crash of 2008, I created a pantry of sorts in my garage and have been rotating foods out of it.

Even now, as long as supplies are fine at the store, I'm hesitant to cut into our pantry. I replace what we use just to keep it stocked.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If I do not go to the store in the next thirty days, we will have to start consuming carbs again.

Actually, the first thirty days without food would probably be good for me. Though I would miss my daily bottle of Diet Coke.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

lol

She never did let you suck on one of them big ol' teets, did she? 😂😂😂

Not that I remember but I was a breast fed baby. Supposedly I did bite her on the azz but I can't swear to that either.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Just back from the store.

Pretty well stocked.

I am MAGA.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm good for at least 2-3 months. If I run out then I'll take care of myself in getting meat. Read what you will into that.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Good time to quit them smokes.....

Yeah, no doubt, but I'm also thinking of how I'd be to live with, from the other house occupants.

Will do it, but not while we're cooped up !

Went cold turkey, before our 1st was born & stayed off 'em for 9 years !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.