-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PA has a few public ranges, owned and run the the Game Commission and sited in some gamelands. Usually 50/100 yards but a couple are longer. The local one to me bulldosed the 25 yard berm for the kind of crap being mention on this thread. Really stupid stuff. The good thing here is there are plenty of local private gun clubs around here for not much money with better amenities and control. Gotta have options.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Try working in a gun shop. I don't know how many times a customer has come in looking for a holster and pulls out his gun, even when you tell him not to. I always say "don't pull it out, just tell me what it is". They reply "it's okay, it's not loaded". You take it from them and clear it and one ejects from the chamber. They say "oops!". You feel like field stripping it and throwing the pieces out on the lawn.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Try working in a gun shop. I don't know how many times a customer has come in looking for a holster and pulls out his gun, even when you tell him not to. I always say "don't pull it out, just tell me what it is". They reply "it's okay, it's not loaded". You take it from them and clear it and one ejects from the chamber. They say "oops!". You feel like field stripping it and throwing the pieces out on the lawn.

Just take it in the back room for a holster fitting and pull the firing pin or striker. See how long it takes them to come back for a repair.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/26/20.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
You'd be surprised at how many people who are taught how to shoot (and are good shots), were never taught gun safety. Also, the many who come in and shoot every week and still can't hit the broad side of a barn. Many are happy to keep their shots on a silhouette at 15yds with an AR! It's all about "mag dumps". You realize that although the concept of the 2nd Amendment is fine, you wish that many people didn't have guns around you.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't go on the weekends unless its raining. Rain seems to run off most of the stupid. I have a life membership and can enter and shoot after/before normal hours and they don't open the gates until 12 PM Sunday. Sometimes church is held on the range.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
was range master at a public range in socal. load of gangbangers showed up with their cosmoline caked sks's. all converted to ak mags. first chollo got to the line , touched off and the firing pin stuck. thing went full auto of course and he turned to his buddies for help. got 3 below the waist before he ran dry. I was behind a concrete k road divider with my phone calling 911 .before they started bleeding. wished at the time his aim had been better.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They’re pretty good about discouraging the gang banger types around here. The biggest problem I see is well meaning newbies with cheap azzed ammo waving their pistols around trying to clear it when a steel or aluminum case gets stuck in the chamber. The range officers get to them pretty quick but I’ve had to explain to several folks that they need to use brass cased ammo, they need to practice clearing their weapons at home so they can do it without sweeping everybody at the range, and that several of us have a bad habit of shooting folks who point guns at us.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Ammo Wasters have ruined every range around here boom boom boom - -- -- -- --- ----- boom boom could care less if they hit a target . To them it's all about firing a gun LOTS OF TIMES ..

We have way more than our share of that, especially over the last 20 years with the major increase of transplanted Californians up here.. standard disclaimer so not to piss anyone off... not all CA people are that way.. but sadly we get more of our share of those that are that way...

however I do love the ones that spray ammo as fast as they can out of their ARs ( at 25 yds, and then brag about how good a shot they are).. then they leave, and leave their brass laying all over the place... which I am more than happy to pick up and take home and recycle it, into my own personal stash....

With this corona virus thing, and everyone under the sun buying a new hand gun or AR, our range has been busier than schitt...
but its been a bonanza if you pick up range brass left on the ground by others...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank the lord I have a membership at a private range. I can't stomach all the retards and their AR-15's that now seem to dominate public ranges.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Takes all kinds I guess.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a nice range, huge complex.

The shotgun stands are ok, except the one 90 year old geezer that was there sweeping us with his shotgun.

The rifle range, I’m done with that. Wobbly linear benches, Fudds, Fudd wives, Fudd’s kids running around up and down the the line

Range boss, thinks he’s Sgt Hartman from full metal jacket.

It’s not out of control, I just rather zip back behind my house

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the time at my range I can have an entire range to myself (we have multiple)
Often I'll be the only shooter on the property.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
You need to find another range. When they call a cease fire at the local public range that means cease fire for EVERYBODY and they have to back away from the firing line 10' behind a painted line. Before anybody is allowed to go downrange the range officer verifies that each weapon is unloaded with the action open. Before anyone can return to the firing line the range officer makes sure there is nobody downrange.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
the worst i ever seen was > at a law enforcement range ,i was on the north of a side of a tar road at a public park that had a archery range ,we were in the parking lot next to a hi voltage steel tower and i heard bullets hit the steel tower and zing over my head. so i went over too the private law enforcement gun range that was marked that i was in a illegal area that sign read law enforcement only ,couple of the younger officers wanted to arrest me. i said i wanted to talk to who was in charged at the range they got kinda nasty and it was piss`in me off and they all kept shooting.but then the head range officer showed up and we talked ,he made all officer`s to stop shooting. range officer and myself drove over in his vehicle and i showed him the marks on the tower and explained we could have them shoot some more ,office said no i can see the problem. he apologized and thank me as we drove back. as i left he called in the 2 officers who were kinda nasty to me and i left.this had to be going on for a few years before i reported it,this was not a new gun range either, was located in the middle of many homes, huge county park with even a golf course and many businesses. the problem was taken care of and am surprise it went on so long ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/26/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by UPhiker
You'd be surprised at how many people who are taught how to shoot (and are good shots), were never taught gun safety. Also, the many who come in and shoot every week and still can't hit the broad side of a barn. Many are happy to keep their shots on a silhouette at 15yds with an AR! It's all about "mag dumps". You realize that although the concept of the 2nd Amendment is fine, you wish that many people didn't have guns around you.

I'm a RSO and that's been pretty much my observation as well. Also, this is a retirement destination and we see a number of shooters with high dollar equipment who don't know how to shoot or who don't know how to optimize what their guns and gear are capable of. Mismatched scope and rifle, junk ammo, and especially poor bench rests and technique.

I damned sure agree with your sentiment about the Second!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pete53
the worst i ever seen was > at a law enforcement range ,i was on the north of a side of a tar road at a public park that had a archery range ,we were in the parking lot next to a hi voltage steel tower and i heard bullets hit the steel tower and zing over my head. so i went over too the private law enforcement gun range that was marked that i was in a illegal area that sign read law enforcement only ,couple of the younger officers wanted to arrest me. i said i wanted to talk to who was in charged at the range they got kinda nasty and it was piss`in me off and they all kept shooting.but then the head range officer showed up and we talked ,he made all officer`s to stop shooting. range officer and myself drove over in his vehicle and i showed him the marks on the tower and explained we could have them shoot some more ,office said no i can see the problem. he apologized and thank me as we drove back. as i left he called in the 2 officers who were kinda nasty to me and i left.this had to be going on for a few years before i reported it,this was not a new gun range either, was located in the middle of many homes, huge county park with even a golf course and many businesses. the problem was taken care of and am surprise it went on so long ?

Capital letters, punctuation, and a paragraph break inserted occasionally would make your comments a lot simpler to understand. Most people get out of breath reading run-on sentences like the ones above, with no, or incorrect punctuation.

If someone is shooting on my range, that means he's already trespassed at least 500 yards onto private property. If he wants to argue, the Sheriff is just a phone call away!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I open my back door and I can shoot although I must first make sure there are no deer or elk in the way.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The ranges I've shot at have red lights that go on and very audible buzzers that sound with a taped recording directing everyone to cease fire, unload the gun. place it on the table, and step out of the booth, when the range goes cold for all shooters.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m blessed to not have to use public ranges. 12 min from my driveway I can be sitting at the family farm where I built a 300 yard range. Being in Alabama we can shoot year round.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our range here in Yuma is open to the public without supervision of any kind, except for when our clubs are having organized shoots, then the ranges are closed to all other activities.

I will not go out there for any reason except for when our club has control of the range, it is just insane . Most people that show up obviously have never had so much as 30 seconds of firearm safety training or instruction on how to behave at a range, nor will they listen to anyone trying to correct them.

My other range in Lander WY is a club range, have to have a key to get in. 350 members and almost never any sort of problem whatsoever.

Last edited by jnyork; 03/26/20.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.