Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With marginally funded small businesses closing for good and bigger ones cutting back drastically, how many jobs won't come back? I predict about 25-30% of the pre-Covid-19 jobs are gone for the next 2-4 years.

I also predict a sharp rise in self-employment, as Americans create jobs for themselves. I believe America has been changed, and the change will stick. The income gap will widen, and the poor will be poorer. Government will play a much larger role in everyone's lives under the guise of protecting us all from any future economic fiascoes like this one...the one the MSM manufactured out of a new illness.

The mindset of America will move left, nudged there by fear that they might again lose concerts, pro sports, eating out...

Government in general has grabbed unprecedented power in a matter of three weeks. Do any of us really believe that Government will turn loose of it?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Government in general has grabbed unprecedented power in a matter of three weeks. Do any of us really believe that Government will turn loose of it?

No, they will not let it go...............they like it far too much & have now found out that they can even go much further since there is zero pushback against anything so far.

The sheeple are compliant & obedient.....................

Yes, a very high percentage of jobs will likely be lost & the recovery ramp-up will be very slow, stock market will be stagnant.

Going to be just what the Demons have been praying for...................the miracle that may be able to keep Trump from being elected. Hard to predict at this point & who or what could have been done any differently, in reality other than doing nothing.

MM

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We are no longer a free society, the cost of letting this virus run through the the population unchecked will pail in comparison to what is being done.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
but hey at least the hospitals won't be quite as overwhelmed.

JFC this is unreal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by luv2safari
With marginally funded small businesses closing for good and bigger ones cutting back drastically, how many jobs won't come back? I predict about 25-30% of the pre-Covid-19 jobs are gone for the next 2-4 years.

I also predict a sharp rise in self-employment, as Americans create jobs for themselves. I believe America has been changed, and the change will stick. The income gap will widen, and the poor will be poorer. Government will play a much larger role in everyone's lives under the guise of protecting us all from any future economic fiascoes like this one...the one the MSM manufactured out of a new illness.

The mindset of America will move left, nudged there by fear that they might again lose concerts, pro sports, eating out...

Won't be anything near that number. If nothing had been done, no Fed easing, no rescue deal then your number could be in the ball park, but that's not the case.

Number will be closer to 5%, if that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Go to you tube and watch, We are living the 12 Monkeys. Explains why and what is being done now and what for. This virus is a means to an end. Not allowing people to gather more than 10 people keeps people from getting together to combat the complete loss of rights. After all it is for our own good. BS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Relax.

Every needed position will be refilled. People are not about to become more self sufficient.

We are two weeks in people, two weeks. Can you maintain some semblance of reality for two more?

Start to worry when the internet goes out. Or the electricity, that will be the time to lose your sh*t.

If you can bitch on the campfire, while ignoring Netflix, half-crocked on booze, the odds of finding TP at the grocery store are pretty good in the near future.

If you can't, well, none of the dinosaurs lived either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Backroads
Relax.

Every needed position will be refilled. People are not about to become more self sufficient.

We are two weeks in people, two weeks. Can you maintain some semblance of reality for two more?

Start to worry when the internet goes out. Or the electricity, that will be the time to lose your sh*t.

If you can bitch on the campfire, while ignoring Netflix, half-crocked on booze, the odds of finding TP at the grocery store are pretty good in the near future.

If you can't, well, none of the dinosaurs lived either.

Well put!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There were shutdowns during the 1918/19 Spanish flu epidemic;

''Many of the components of current pandemic influenza plans were utilized to some degree in Minneapolis and St. Paul during 1918–1919. Coordination between different levels and branches of government, improved communications regarding the spread of influenza, hospital surge capacity, mass dispensing of vaccines, guidelines for infection control, containment measures including case isolation and closures of public places, and disease surveillance were all employed with varying degrees of success. We focus on medical resources, community disease containment measures, public response to community containment, infection control and vaccination, and communications.''

COMMUNITY DISEASE CONTAINMENT

As influenza was beginning to take hold in the civilian population, there was disagreement between the Minneapolis and St. Paul health commissioners, Dr. Guilford and Dr. Simon, respectively. Their approaches varied; Dr. Guilford tended to be broadly proactive to prevent cases, whereas Dr. Simon tended toward initiating activities in response to individual cases. Dr. Guilford believed that closing public places was the best course of action and that isolation of individual cases was useless.15 Dr. Simon asserted that isolation of influenza cases would be more effective in preventing the spread of disease.14

The St. Paul Health Department and the Minnesota State Board of Health met Dr. Guilford's strong advocacy with opposition. Dr. Bracken, siding with St. Paul, questioned, “If you begin to close, where are you going to stop? When are you going to reopen, and what do you accomplish by opening”?11

Debate between the two cities on the merits of closing schools caused further strain. Dr. Simon held that St. Paul's school nurses were the best defense against the spread of the disease, and that closing schools would allow cases to go undetected as the children would not be under any medical supervision. Dr. Guilford disagreed, pointing out that 30 school nurses would not be able to adequately care for the 50,000 pupils in the Minneapolis public school system during a pandemic.16 Minneapolis closed the schools on two separate occasions (October 12 to November 17, and December 10 to December 29, 1918).''

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There will be some, but I don't think it will be 25-30%. The market will correct that quickly.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
More and moor people will work from home...........which may increase worker productivity in some cases.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The transition to automation in minimum wage jobs will probably accelerate.
Brick and mortar retail stores probably will see some years taken off their life expectancy.
As long as .gov enables folks to live off unemployment at a rate close to their working wage, they won't be going back to work.
I would expect personal hygiene would improve and folks would be more apt to save money and keep a few weeks supplies for a rainy day, but then again this is America....and people forget with-in two days.
Guys on here screaming about no ammo at the stores already.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess it depends on how many places stay shuttered, but even then I can't imagine numbers in the 20% range. It might take some time but the remaining business will benefit from the pent up demand and I have to believe things will normalize. New jobs will be created as a result.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think it will come back if we can get rid of the virus.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by heavywalker
We are no longer a free society, the cost of letting this virus run through the the population unchecked will pail in comparison to what is being done.

Sadly(for the Nation) I gotta agree with that!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have no answers, I am looking to the day when all this is just gone. Then the Doomsday peddlers will off, and running with something else.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Corona is just strike one .
Strike 2 is the Saudi depression of the oil market.
Strike 3 is the debt bubble.

It will be 10 years before the Dow comes back to pre-crash levels.

And from now on, every flu season will be met with escalated paranoia.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd love to see another round of US $$ re-patriation @ $0 tax IF that $$ is used to bring manufacturing and other essential capabilities back inside the USA.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully this is an opportunity to expand US manufacturing. Jobs shift, workers have to adapt. This event will create new demands like pharma, energy independence, on line education. People will still want BBQ and beer. I am partially optimistic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anything. Jobs in education.
Keep the good ones. Pay them more. Chit can the rest.

I taught for a JuCo for 2 years. Got to see behind the curtain.
Too many positions. Waiting for retirement. A circle jerk getting something done.

People teaching stuff they have no idea about the application in the real life. “My book says....”

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.