Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
I’m driving a ten year old Silverado Z71. It’s been well maintained but used hard at times. It needs a couple of grand of normal wear maintenance and new tires. I’m at a point though that I can pay cash for something new instead if dealers start an “end of the world” sale.
I’ll probably regret it if I do. Sleep better at night feeling like we are better prepared than most. Having a shiny new truck isn’t a priority in my mind. BUT BUT BUT I want it.

Paying cash for NEW vehicles is a fools errand. Especially when 0% deals are around! I know many will say I'm wrong! The truck will decrease in value, the money will gain in value if handled correctly. Just saying!

If a person can’t pay cash for a vehicle, they can’t afford it. It’s so easy a caveman can understand it.

It's not always that simple. For example if you have plenty of capital to buy a new vehicle yet it is tied up in a cash flowing asset, it would be foolish to sell said asset to buy a vehicle

If you have plenty of capitol but it is tied up, you don't have plenty of capitol. This goes back to the part where a savings account is a unicorn today. Finance guys can spin it anyway they want but in the end cash is king.

You forgot the cash flow part?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB4

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It ain't cash until it has been received as income. Most likely, after it has been taxed.
Future earnings are not counted as cash today. They are projections.
Good luck if that flow stops. Nothing is guaranteed. Watch the number of defaults we are about to see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WTM45
It ain't cash until it has been received as income. Most likely, after it has been taxed.
Good luck if that flow stops. Nothing is guaranteed. Watch the number of defaults we are about to see.

The auto finance sector has been in a bubble for some time. With the recession there will be a lot of defaults. People will pay rent before the car payment.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep.
And food/phones/booze/smokes/scratchoffs before rents.
It was difficult getting rents when times were good! So I bailed from real estate years ago.
Cash for vehicles. True freedom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did you pay cash for your house?

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
I’m driving a ten year old Silverado Z71. It’s been well maintained but used hard at times. It needs a couple of grand of normal wear maintenance and new tires. I’m at a point though that I can pay cash for something new instead if dealers start an “end of the world” sale.
I’ll probably regret it if I do. Sleep better at night feeling like we are better prepared than most. Having a shiny new truck isn’t a priority in my mind. BUT BUT BUT I want it.

Paying cash for NEW vehicles is a fools errand. Especially when 0% deals are around! I know many will say I'm wrong! The truck will decrease in value, the money will gain in value if handled correctly. Just saying!

If a person can’t pay cash for a vehicle, they can’t afford it. It’s so easy a caveman can understand it.

Just because you can pay cash,, doesn't mean its the wise thing to do! Thats so easy a cave man can understand it also! Hell buying a new vehicle, isnt the wisest thing to do! Losing 10 to 20% of value the first day you drive one, whether paid for with cash or not, isnt real wise!! If you own a business and have advantages might work, not for personal use!

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way to make the truck prices come down is to quit paying the high prices they want. As long as idiots go down and pay $50,000+ for a truck then that is what they will charge. Make those trucks sit on the lots for a year and you'll see the price come down because they can't get stuck with the inventory or they have to pay taxes on it. As for me, the last new truck I bought was in 2002 and it was a stripped down Ford Ranger that only cost me $7011 total. I drove it until Oct 2019 when a fool texting and driving totaled it. I bought a used one to replace it. I also have a 2006 Ford Super Duty diesel that I bought used in 2010. I for one REFUSE to pay what they want for a new one. I also don't want a truck as fancy as they want to force me to buy. I like plain trucks and I like them with a manual transmission and they don't even want to offer me stuff like that. I don't need or want a Cadillac with an open bed which is what new trucks are.

If you don't want to pay the price for a new one, don't.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lets use a simple example....

Say you have a $150k mortgage on your house at 4% interest.

You have saved $50k for a new truck.

The dealer has 0% financing on a new truck

The smart plan would be to buy the truck on credit and use the $50k to pay towards your mortgage, the numbers look even better if instead of saving the $50k you payed towards the mortgage as you went.

You would save 4% , now compound that and you have some real money.

Or you could pay cash for your new truck...... hmmmm

So it's not so black and white.... a million ways to skin this cat and everyone's needs and situation is different

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
84 month 0% on new Fords

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by nealglen37
What about used trucks?

Everybody is driving a used truck.

Without exception... smile

No kidding? Wow, that's insightful! smile

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

The one I'm in now, yes. Don't worry, 401's and IRA's fully funded and still getting contributions.
Never bought a NEW vehicle until a previous home of mine was paid off, and then paid cash for the vehicle.
Funny, it is not so hard to save and then "loan" yourself money! LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was thinking about getting a new sled then the virus hit. Ski Doo is offering an additional $500 on top of other incentives for snowcheck sleds, I imagine car manufacturers will be doing something similar, incentivewise..

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lets use a simple example....

Say you have a $150k mortgage on your house at 4% interest.

You have saved $50k for a new truck.

The dealer has 0% financing on a new truck

The smart plan would be to buy the truck on credit and use the $50k to pay towards your mortgage, the numbers look even better if instead of saving the $50k you payed towards the mortgage as you went.

You would save 4% , now compound that and you have some real money.

Or you could pay cash for your new truck...... hmmmm

So it's not so black and white.... a million ways to skin this cat and everyone's needs and situation is different

What's missing here? The fact that USED is the way to fly until the roof over your head is owned fully. I have owned more outright pieces of crap that required a handy toolbox daily than Carter has liver pills.

This nationwide desire for latest-greatest in vehicles is what drives folks to bankruptcy and a life of debt.

Thank God my parents and grandparents taught me to go out and get dirty fingernails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave Ramsey recommends you should not buy a new car until you are a millionaire.... I like Ramsey smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The one I'm in now, yes. Don't worry, 401's and IRA's fully funded and still getting contributions.
Never bought a NEW vehicle until a previous home of mine was paid off, and then paid cash for the vehicle.

Ok got it, let me rephrase the question, have you used a mortgage to buy a house?
It's easy to pay cash for a house when you sell a paid for house.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mortgage on the first one. Ten years, done.
That was after an Army hitch and college. No loans there either. Worked. Paid as I went. And paid the mortgage fast. And drove embarrassing pieces of chit. Never had one stolen, broken into or had to pay outrageous insurance rates.

The home I'm in now we bought while living in another house paid for. Rented it out a few years when we moved here. So, there was no 1031 exchange or rolling over of sales proceeds.
We saved up for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTM45,
You are a very disciplined saver, congratulations. Most could learn from your example. Well done

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
WTM45,
You are a very disciplined saver, congratulations. Most could learn from your example. Well done

There have been LOTS of sacrifices. YEARS without vacations. Never been to Disney. LOL
I'm on my knees daily, thankful for my health and blessings received. I try to give when and where I can. But not to banks or lenders!

Not in my retirement home yet. Soon as we can, after taking care of our elderly parents, all money will buy a farm to be passed on to heirs and family. Wont be in this tax-gulag state I'm in now.

If I can make ONE suggestion to folks, it would be to STAY AWAY from car dealerships.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTM45,

There have been LOTS of sacrifices. YEARS without vacations. Never been to Disney. LOL
I'm on my knees daily, thankful for my health and blessings received. I try to give when and where I can. But not to banks or lenders!

Not in my retirement home yet. Soon as we can, after taking care of our elderly parents, all money will buy a farm to be passed on to heirs and family. Wont be in this tax-gulag state I'm in now.

If I can make ONE suggestion to folks, it would be to STAY AWAY from car dealerships.

Understood, I have done much the same. I drove a 1970 Chevy 4x4 for 20 yrs. I was able to rebuild everything on it including the engine over the years.
Last month I bought my first new vehicle a Ram 3500 with a Cummins and a 20yr 200K warranty, I am 58 so it should last me forever. wink
Hard to change old habits though, I bought the tradesman package, $10 to $20K cheaper than the fancy models, yet still fancier than anything I have owned previous.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Tesla has the right idea. Get rid of the middleman crooked dealers entirely. Buy the car from the manufacturer. Unfortunately most states have laws preventing the manufacturers from firing their dealers.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,122
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.