Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Deut. 5:11 -- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who taketh His name in vain.

Pretty strong warning but a lot of men, including some Christians continue to do so. Wonder why? Do they really think that God is in the 'damning' business? Does it make a person feel good about himself to do so? This is just one instance but there are many more. We hear them on a pretty regular basis.

Wonder why they don't use the name of say Mohammed, Budda, or some of those dead gods instead? Are those characters to be feared more than almighty God?

Even people that say they do not believe in God use His name in vain, also. Why?

What's your take on this subject? Everybody, non believers and all, feel free to jump in.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Budda damn right!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You just may have started a new language, Steelie.......

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
We need one with a first and last name.

Mohammed H.? Budda F.?

See, we need a last name in there.

Give me time, I'll easily develop a new way to curse....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe ya ain't had enough experience.. somebody wanta' help?

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
We need one with a first and last name.

Mohammed H.? Budda F.?

See, we need a last name in there.

Give me time, I'll easily develop a new way to curse....

Here's some last name ideas: fake, dead, joke, fraud. I'm sure there are others to consider as well.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
But let your communication be, yea, yea, Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. Matthew 5:37

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No comment. Might get accused of being legalistic for keeping an Old Testament commandment. laugh

But I do have a question. Does "Taking the name of the Lord in vain" mean swearing or is there other stuff that also qualifies . . . . . knowing the meaning of vain and vanity?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i consider OMG to violate the commandment, whenever it is not meant as an actual prayer.
on the old friends show, omg was used in every other sentence.
what say ye?

Last edited by fish280; 06/04/07.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OMG has become a non-slang word in today's world. However, it clearly violates the 3d commandment. Sooner or later, the piper will have to be paid.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just my thoughts on the matter...

Taking the name of the Lord God in vain has more to do with our lifestyle rather than useage of words GD, gosh or golly.

When we are baptized into the "name of the Lord", God's name is invoked over us. Father, Son, HS.

We come up out of the water a "new man" this new man follows or is obediant to the rema/living and/or logos/written Word.

Now, IF and when a new man, read baptized Christian, knowingly
lives a lifestyle of disobedience to the Word, that is when we take the name of of the Lord God in vain.

Only the believer not the sinner takes the name of God in vain.

When a sinner says GD him, it's probably the truth, God is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the commandment only applies to the believer, then it's a meaningless commandment. It says that he who uses God's name in vain will not be held guiltless. However, a believer will be just that - held guiltless. Jesus has seen to that. So, if that's what the commandment means, then there is no penalty for breaking it and it can be safely ignored.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mohammad H. Passover!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The Hindus would have a real hayday, with their 1.4 million gods and deities. I doubt you could curse using all the names if you cursed steady 16 hours a day and never had a repeat. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
And Steelhead, I think Mohammed H. was a prophet -- not a god, if it makes any difference. Probably more like a false prophet of a false god, but I DO appreciate your humour in the thing and keeping the cussing away from the Lord God of Heaven. wink

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dick,

Okay, I can go with that. Then then take out "Only the believer not the sinner takes the name of God in vain."

I think it's a lot more than just verbal it's a lifestyle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One aspect of this commandment is that a person was not to invoke the name of God in an oath and not keep the oath. False swearing in the context of a court of law, ie perjury. False testimony etc. Or a failure to keep the oath to God. There is another verse I would have to look it up that says you should not profane the name of the Lord. Vain means empty... right? You should not use the name of God in an empty foolish unclean filthy manner. Orthodox Jews today won't even type out God, for them it is typed G_d, (I think I got that right)

I think the almost universal use of the name of Christ as a curse word shows man's general depravity and that they are influenced by the prince of the power of the air as Paul says.

I really hate to hear blasphemy. But after so many years of working with hard-headed reprobates I almost subconsciencely tune it out. Father forgive them they know not what they do comes to mind and the verse in Corinthians about not imputing to them their trespasses.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Taking his name in vain is calling yourself a Christian whilst still taking from people, rather than giving.

An CPA friend of mine once told me, "I've taken my best screwings from Christians..."

My experience exactly, in business anyway--the people who really took advantage of me over the years that stand out burned in memory as notable "screwings" are the boys and girls touting their Christian bloodlines.

I think it has little or nothing to do with words--it is the motive behind them....and you may have to peel back a whole bunch of layers of given justications to reveal that motive...especially with Christians.

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It ought not so to be, Brother. shocked

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"I think it has little or nothing to do with words--it is the motive behind them....and you may have to peel back a whole bunch of layers of given justications to reveal that motive...especially with Christians."

I believe God has said He looks at the intentions of the heart. Language is a funny thing with words meaning different things to different people. God knows what people mean when they say them. There will be no "spinning" on judgment day.

I've been around cultures (the military, for example) where cuss words mean very little to the people using them. They still mean lots to those who hear them, however. I wonder how God will parse that...

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 16 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.