Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ugly and raining today, temps in the 40s.
But “The Searchers” was on TCM this afternoon, and I don’t have to feel guilty about staying in to watch it.
By far, The Duke’s best movie. John Wayne almost always played John Wayne in his movies. Jimmy Stewart and Fonda were far better actors as far as versatility, and The Searchers is easily Duke’s best performance. Ward Bond was great, and both Jeffry Hunter and Ken Curtis were very good as well.
Still easily one of my favorite films, though I’ve seen it dozens of times. I still like Once Upon a Time in the West as much or more, but it beats most others, of all categories except maybe Vertigo.
Thoughts?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best movie ever made. Easily beats some stupidness where the ending is some pogue laying there watching a snowglobe and intoning "Rosebud."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Best movie ever made. Easily beats some stupidness where the ending is some pogue laying there watching a snowglobe and intoning "Rosebud."

Yep!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best John Wayne movie and one of best movies ever made.........period.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago, I watched “Citizen Kane” just to see if it was worthy of the critical acclaim that it’s given. To say the least, I thought it was highly overrated. IMO it was a stupid waste of time.
I’m a fan of classic movies, and there are very few as good, and none any better than The Searchers. I love Stewart, but his westerns don’t compare.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My mom named my next younger brother after Jeffery Hunter.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Years ago, I watched “Citizen Kane” just to see if it was worthy of the critical acclaim that it’s given. To say the least, I thought it was highly overrated. IMO it was a stupid waste of time.
I’m a fan of classic movies, and there are very few as good, and none any better than The Searchers. I love Stewart, but his westerns don’t compare.
7mm

One of Trump’s supposed favorite movies. (Citizen Kane)

Not sure if he’s ready to break stuff yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Best John Wayne movie and one of best movies ever made.........period.

the real story is even better.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like Red River better myself , I like movies with an upbeat ending

I never thought Fonda could act worth spit , I dont really see what made him a star.......

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
he should have shot her when he found her.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like that Ethan Edwards was the first poster to respond to this homage thread to The Searchers.

My favorite western. John Ford was a great director and the final scene with Debbie coming home and Ethan in the doorway walking away is as good as when Shane rode away with the kid yelling goodbye.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Very interesting. I was familiar with the name, but not many details of the story. Can you recommend any books?
7mm

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Very interesting. I was familiar with the name, but not many details of the story. Can you recommend any books?
7mm

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Summer-Moon-Comanches-Powerful/dp/B01KBD4IOE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=170J05TH4YIF4&keywords=summer+moon+commanche&qid=1585440933&sprefix=summer+moon%2Caps%2C521&sr=8-2

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.
7mm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

7mm

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Summer-Moon-Comanches-Powerful/dp/B01KBD4IOE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=170J05TH4YIF4&keywords=summer+moon+commanche&qid=1585440933&sprefix=summer+moon%2Caps%2C521&sr=8-2

Yep! Great book Roger!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Great movie and one of John Wayne's best!

One man on the Texas frontier had his wife and kids kidnapped by Comanches and he spent years looking for them. His name was Britt Johnson. Most families gave up after a short time and captives were often found incidental to attacks on Comanche camps (as was Cynthia Parker). Johnson did not give up and was finally successful in his quest. He brought the wife and kids home, started a freighting business and wound up being killed by Kiowas. Johnson was a freed slave and a real hero of the Texas Frontier.

Someone ought to make a movie about Johnson . He was the real Searcher. I think it would have been neat if John Ford had used Woody Strode in the movie and based it on real history but at that time I guess a movie with a black hero would not have been popular.

Good books on the subject of the Comanches vs. Texans include "Comanche" by T.R. Fehrenbach (hope I spelled his name correctly) and "Evolution of a State" by Noah Smithwick. Smithwick was a Ranger during Republic days and he recounts how they rescued a child shortly after his capture. The child's mom had escaped from the war party and fortunately stumbled on to the Rangers.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
7mm, The Searchers is pretty great Western. You mentioned Jimmy Stewart, an awesome western movie actor. The Man who Shot Liberty Valence, and The Shootist aren’t a bad way to waste your time either if you want to watch some westerns.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.