Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
any body know who got the MONARC sold 20Gs less the juice. FUG? IF things weren't so screwed up I would have been a player

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know who didn't get it.

Well, actually now 2 people...

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
that would be me and you . If FUG didn't sure he might know who did. probably be a secret for a while Hell of a savage for the money!!!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

That is right in the range of what Amoskeag anticipated the gun bringing at auction.
Randy, glad that we had the opportunity to see the gun first hand.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Randy, glad that we had the opportunity to see the gun first hand.

Yep

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't $20,000 the starting bid? Custom Enoch Tue engraving something like an F grade, almost surely a King carved stock.. wow.

Definitely wasn't me that got it. I settled for picking up another project to work on. Like I need more.. grin

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/...order_num%26xclosed%3Dno%26featured%3Dno

[Linked Image from live.amoskeagauction.com]

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/29/20.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The description says "factory letter included" with purchase, but is not shown. Wish it was!
The original owner was from Saquoit. That is where W.I. King lived as well.
The rifle is an employee purchase (Enoch Tue) per the referenced factory letter.
It is another rifle collaboration between Tue & King as contractors.

We've talked about #70.152 previously. It was a King purchased rifle with a custom engraving pattern.
Wonder how many more collaborations are floating around...?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

one more

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's quite the rifle. I think it's a piece of art really, more than a rifle. A little over the top for me, especially the stock. Then there's the fact that it costs more than my truck. grin I do have a thing for half round, half octagonal barrels. I like them a lot.
Fug, when are you going to show us? Don't be a tease. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FUG1899

one more

Well, one more at least, right? Maybe more? Never know what else might pop up out of somebody's closet. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
congrats FUG your the MAN I would not have bid against you any way too much RESPECT much better home. I would have had just thrown it in the pile with my other engraved SAVAGE'S .you have a much better home .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK, I'll be the jerk here. In my eyes a 99 with really nice wood, nice checkering, and little or no engraving is miles above this rifle. I don't care for much engraving on the metal. What is on a factory 99K is about the extent of it. Carved stocks to me look to much like a normally nice looking woman with too much makeup on, detracting. Same with revolvers-those with checkering all over ever square inch of metal are distracting IMO, the most I care for is a bit under the cylinder on the frame. A well known gun dealer in my state who attends major gun shows knows I'm a Colt Python lover and collector. Around maybe two years ago he showed me a stainless Python that had probably almost 100% engraving. Told me when I stopped at his table he thought maybe I'd be interested and snag it up . Nope--to me no engraving on a Python, in fact my interest in Pythons are 6" blued only. To each his own, but gaudy firearms are of no interest to me. So ends the soapbox rant of a no carving on stock, little or no engraving on the metal lover of 99's.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well some people accumulate,while others collect!!! to each his own ,there are painters,and there are artists! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pictures don't do it justice.

When you have it in hand the detail of the engraving and thought of the number of consecutive perfect hammer and chisel blows is just mind boggling. The time and patience and skill of the engraver is something I can't even get my head wrapped around. In a way he has immortalized himself.

The wood carving is interesting, but to me, not nearly as impressive and the metal work.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Thought the gun was pretty spectacular when I first spotted it

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, Ted has a good eye. But we already knew that.

grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Where is the like button when you need one. I have grown to appreciate higher grades of engraving more than I used to. Carved wood still doesn't really appeal to me, but if I could, I would. laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who did the work and who it was sent to ,is a big part of the guns allure and worth

Work hard ... play hard
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wow amazing engraving on that rifle! Hard to believe someone would take it to the workbench and knock the rear sight off it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forget they are guns, they are works of art. My new book probably won't appeal to Savage94C but it will hopefully appeal to a large audience of people who are into the art that went into engraved, checkered, high grade wood and carved stock guns. To each his own.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.