Hop To
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

It took China 62 days to turn the corner. We are at day 40.

China took 62 days to stop reporting, no corner was ever turned.

I do not have a problem believing China stopped their epidemic with their military enforced quarantine.

If we had put a wall around Seattle and NYC and shot anyone trying to get out on Feb 10, we would have ours close to containment also.

But that is not the way we do things here. Thank God!

I am sure China will eventually have to deal with infection sources crossing their borders into new areas in the near future. The rest of China will eventually be as affected as Wuhan was.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Living in NY, I'm watching the local news and they are turning Aquaduct Racetrack facilities into a temporary hospital. Dr.s and nurses are working around the clock. Retired Drs and medical students are being asked to pitch in. My son works for a medical college and many of the students are volunteering their time. My niece is a nurse who was working as a nursing teacher and was asked to help out at the hospital. My sister is making surgical masks. We have over 1,000 dead here in just the past 10 days. People, this is no joke. Even here I'm seeing people much too close and not observing distancing protocols. Also, this is not just killing the old with other medical conditions, otherwise healthy young people have died from it. This is NOT like the regular flu as this thing hits an area hard and all at once. The bodies pile up quickly and it takes resources away from people who might need assistance/care for other medical issues. If people don't take every measure to prevent getting infected, the numbers could easily reach the projected numbers. It's like what Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky punk?"

Good luck, hang in there. Many here will just dismiss what you're saying cause it's not relevant to their lives.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Living in NY, I'm watching the local news and they are turning Aquaduct Racetrack facilities into a temporary hospital. Dr.s and nurses are working around the clock. Retired Drs and medical students are being asked to pitch in. My son works for a medical college and many of the students are volunteering their time. My niece is a nurse who was working as a nursing teacher and was asked to help out at the hospital. My sister is making surgical masks. We have over 1,000 dead here in just the past 10 days. People, this is no joke. Even here I'm seeing people much too close and not observing distancing protocols. Also, this is not just killing the old with other medical conditions, otherwise healthy young people have died from it. This is NOT like the regular flu as this thing hits an area hard and all at once. The bodies pile up quickly and it takes resources away from people who might need assistance/care for other medical issues. If people don't take every measure to prevent getting infected, the numbers could easily reach the projected numbers. It's like what Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky punk?"
Truly awful. Stay safe and be smart.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by ltppowell
So...1-200,000 people are expected to die in America over a 10 month period.

Answer this. How many of those have died anyway?

The term you are looking for is "excess deaths".

How many "excess deaths" will there be attributable to COVID-19.

From the nursing home in Washington State, the answer if probably close to zero.

Yeah. They were not exactly expected to leave that place any other way. 😕

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ltppowell
So...1-200,000 people are expected to die in America over a 10 month period.

Answer this. How many of those have died anyway?

Just due to cancer and heart disease ALONE in 2017, there was an average of over 3,400 deaths per day .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Simple math, if nothing was done, the death toll would be like a flu season. about 35,000 at 0.1% rate, COVOD-19 kills at a rate of 0.6% so 6x 35,000= 210,000. The 0.6% is from South Korea , other countries report higher rates.

FALSE

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers
Truly awful. Stay safe and be smart.

^^^This.^^^

I'm not a God bless kind of guy, but God bless you all.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm reading through this thread, and here is the way I see it. 200,000 deaths in 10 months is not bad, I agree. However, it all depends on your perspective.

First off, let me explain that I'm in Cincinnati. So far, we're relatively untouched by the virus; I'm working from home; my wife has suspended her massage practice. We're hunkering down. Kroger delivers groceries once a week. We supplement that with carryout. My mother is 91 and hasn't seen me in 2 weeks, even though I'm less than 2 miles away. The facility she's in is quarantined. KYHillChick had cancer surgery a little less than 2 years ago. We both have asthma. We are both over 60 I've got a history of diabetes and pneumonia.

Right now, there are 289 ICU beds in the county. There are 180,000 folks over the age of 60. If we get the virus, my wife and I will be competing with 622 potential patients for our ICU bed. I doubt they'll even worry about treating my mom. That puts the number down to 179,999. We're a stone's throw away from Pill Hill, a 2 sq mi section of Cincinnati where there are more hospital beds than anywhere else on the planet. However, if the S ever hits the everloving F they'll be all full up and the doctors and nurses will be just dragging bodies out to the reefer trucks parked in the lot. "Flattening the curve" has a real palpable meaning around here.

If we withdraw to the farm, the outlook might be cheerier; Bracken County, KY has 0 cases reported. However, it won't be long before they start showing up. All the counties in proximity to Greater Cincinnati have active cases and there's 1 death reported in Kenton County, KY, less that 50 miles away. There are no hospital beds within 30 miles of the farm. We'd be trucked to a little facility in Cynthiana or taken into Cincinnati.

If all goes well, those 289 beds get used efficiently, and nobody is left out in the hall on a gurney. If it doesn't go well, they'll be stacking KYHillChick and I along with all the others like cordwood.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Numbers from “Experts” are all over the map on this stuff

From 3.5 Million Americans will die to 100 to 200K now.

Who do we believe???

I believe if you do some research you'll find that those numbers are, at least, somewhat tied to the extent of the measres taken to reduce or control interpersonal contact.
No societal counter measures taken and those higher numbers may well prove tragically accurate.
We have no way of knowing until it's over. Far better to err on the side of caution. To me, extreme caution is preferred, lives are at stake.
This thing is REAL. DON'T MAKE LITE OF IT! DON'T TAKE UNNECESSARY RISKS!
I've been down for a week with what may be covid 19. High fever, sore throat mild to moderate breathing difficulties, severe cough,etc. Been to the docs and hospital ER a couple of times.
They examine me but won't test unless I'm critical enough to admit as they don't have enough kits to meet current needs. Get sent home told to self quarenteen and y'all come back now if you get worse. SUCKS!
On the bright side my cough has very considerably improved and my temps have been normal since Saturday afternoon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Fauci warns 100–200K Americans could die from virus, but says projections are “moving target” - Axios

“Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday that models suggest the coronavirus will infect millions of Americans and could kill 100,000–200,000, though he stressed that the projections are "such a moving target."
Why it matters: Fauci has been the coronavirus task force's most outspoken advocate for emergency social distancing measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus, sometimes contradicting President Trump's more optimistic outlook.”

Now the president is hoping for ONLY 100,000 deaths.

You guys gotta keep moving the goalposts. Many of you would do well to panic, if that would keep you inside and isolated.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It was on cnn why even repeat it....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
All a hammer can see is a nail. Fauci predictions are worst case. Hasbeen

Logged for future reference.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro: labeling the virus as “a little flu”

https://apnews.com/b21a296383694c6726d03e027134daf1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's simple really. There are approximately 320 million Americans. Mortality rate is roughly around 1.5%....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It's simple really. There are approximately 320 million Americans. Mortality rate is roughly around 1.5%....

This. Pretty simple math.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Am I missing something or are you assuming that all 320 million people will actually contract the virus.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Am I missing something or are you assuming that all 320 million people will actually contract the virus.

ONLY if you look at a worse case scenario as in everyone eventually gets the flue at one time or another...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You have better check your numbers. The world rate isn't even close.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now the president is hoping for ONLY 100,000 deaths.

You guys gotta keep moving the goalposts. Many of you would do well to panic, if that would keep you inside and isolated.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Simple math...crunch those numbers for me.

The year total will be double for the US? approx. 8 million lost this year is your simple math prediction(around the 2.8 million normally plus the 4.8 million for covid).

Math with bad numbers is nothing but bad math.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.