Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think you have a mechanical issue with the gun, but I will send you 5 brand new
pieces of Winchester 284 brass if you want to take that step.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The current trend toward shorter cases, 1.920" for the 6.5 Creedmoor, suggests that the 7mm-08, 2.035", might be a better fit, COAL wise, in a short action Remington magazine box than the 284 at 2.170".

I have 6.5-284s on both short and long actions and don't have any COAL limits in the long action, but do it the short actions.

Kinda late for that...

Is it ever too late to install a new, or at least different, barrel if doing so makes the rifle more useful?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The current trend toward shorter cases, 1.920" for the 6.5 Creedmoor, suggests that the 7mm-08, 2.035", might be a better fit, COAL wise, in a short action Remington magazine box than the 284 at 2.170".

I have 6.5-284s on both short and long actions and don't have any COAL limits in the long action, but do it the short actions.

Kinda late for that...

Is it ever too late to install a new, or at least different, barrel if doing so makes the rifle more useful?

Jeff,
I dont think it's ever too late.
But don't you suspect that rost has an issue within that chamber...and if so, wouldn't that be more of an issue versus his C.O.A.L.?

And maybe, if there's enough shank, the barrel can be set back a twist, and the existing chamber can be cleaned up.?

I'm just asking, in light that it could be my situation and I'd want to know what is causing that issue.

Thanks.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have you slugged the bore? It might be undersize, causing pressure issues. Once I loaded ammo for a fellow with a beautiful Griffin & Howe custom 270 on a Mauser action. It had all the bells and whistles. However, my standard 270 load (55 grains of IMR 4350 under a 130 grain bullet) was too hot at about 3,150 fps. I backed down, and ended up several grains under what I started with. I didn't slug the bore, but have little doubt that was the problem. An undersize chamber was not the problem.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another thought - a chamber cast would show whether or not you have a tight chamber. If that is the case, a small base sizing die might solve the problem.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend brought me a 788 in 6mm a while back, said he was having a hard time getting the bolt open after a shot and thought his rifle was screwed up. Turned out to be the brass...Federal factory loads. When I fired a round of my handload put up in Hornady brass extraction was as normal as can be. Could be anything though...the possibilities are endless.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R

Kinda late for that...

Well yeah but I want to try to work this out. LOL. Hate to waste an expensive Rock tube if its something else.

Sure tells me weird though its just that last 10 percent of camming open hard thats tough.

I hope it does not quit raining, but when it does I"ll fire a few more tests to see.

maybe time to order cerosafe for the first time in my life too.

Undersize barrel, yes, could be but IIRC I was under the impression that pressure was related to MV to an extent. IE I should be getting a better speed but at less powder...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
KK AK, your PM box is full....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rost its mt now

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
From above-----"or I should see if I can get actual 284 brass "

What brass are you using if not 284 Win brass?????

I snagged a bag of 50 pcs of new Winchester 284 Win brass a week ago. Not anxious to sell, but
would consider if someone is really struggling.

" OAL of brass has been fine. No growth to speak of."

What is the actual O.D. at the web before and after firing/???

What is the actual trim length before loading and after shooting ????

Using only new brass or some reloaded also???
Sure your sizer die is set right????

Just thinking out loud.
Tim

284 is special run mostly at least when I bought brass years ago... so I bought hornady 6.5x284. Run it through the die, done. Just can't fathom it being an issue related to the bolt not unlocking.

Have shot both brand new brass and 1-3 times fired, all same, all same gun.

new 2.157 Fired 2.162 after 3 firings. After one its 2.157/158. Not growing much.

Web basically .498 to .500 and same after firing.

had a 99F savage in 284. couldn't find brass. bought Hornady 6.5x284.
would have to rod tap the fired cases out to get the lever open. tried turning necks and every other damn thing I could think of to solve it.
finally solved it by throwing the Hornady brass away and getting some Winchester. never did figure out WTH.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would be wild... but sure could be. Like I said I had similar making 257 wtby from once fired RP 7 mag until I annealed cases really good before running into the WTBY die. Solved chambering issues.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

had a 99F savage in 284. couldn't find brass. bought Hornady 6.5x284.
would have to rod tap the fired cases out to get the lever open. tried turning necks and every other damn thing I could think of to solve it.
finally solved it by throwing the Hornady brass away and getting some Winchester. never did figure out WTH.[/quote]

6.5 X 284 Brass is larger than 284 WW brass when you fire form it not much room for expansion in a 284 chamber esp. a tight chamber.

Go back to the basics Brass, Dies & chamber should be similar. Or you will have issues, cost me a lot of money and time to figure that out.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Had a similar mystery a few years ago, with another cartridge. Turned out to be soft brass. Had used the same brand for years with no problems, but you never know.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do you have other obvious pressure signs on the primer or case head? Bullet drop in a fired case? Brass not too long for chamber? Rings or weirdness in fired brass? .284 varies, by that I mean geometry of the saami lever chamber and a “match” chamber differ.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
No real pressure signs until I hit about 3050 or so but by then you had to open the last bit of bolt by mallet. But brass didn't expand that I could measure much. Primers not flat but had lost round edges but that varies so much by brand at times.

I don't see a mark on the brass for the chamber IE being to long, but I have not ordered cerosafe to cast chamber YET.. maybe today is that day. No way to find what chamber since Mickey died.

Nothing weird on fired brass really, other than some mild scratches that match what the retiming guy said rough chamber. but nothing deep.

If I had a set of 308 size Redding plus/minus shell holders maybe I could size it more... am waiting out some new brass from a campfire member before ordering lots of brass..to see if it makes the difference or not.

bullet drops into fired case.

I despise brass trimming and have no clue where my trimmer is right now since the move. BUT I'll have to look and trim some back under the trim length and fire one that way with same load just to see.

Will keep on this bit at a time as I have time for the next month or so to see what gives or if I'm going to run the 338-06 instead this fall if I can even get back to Alaska and we even hunt. LOL.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
N
If I had a set of 308 size Redding plus/minus shell holders maybe I could size it more... am waiting out some new brass from a campfire member before ordering lots of brass..to see if it makes the difference or not.

I had a 270 Wby that the dies wouldn't quite resize the brass enough. I took a spare shellholder in vise-grips and used the bench grinder to take a little off the top allowing the dies to resize just enough. Just a thought.

Good luck.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buy some 284 win brass . Joe Russo has new 284 brass for sale at Long Range Hunter site.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Try a box of factory ammo....
I know that it is expensive and can be hard to find, but if I have a gun that is not shooting reloads as expected, I try a box of factor ammo as a standard..
So far as brass, try Buffalo Arms...
https://www.buffaloarms.com/284-winchester-cases-made-by-winchester-284win

If your LGS doesn't have factory ammo, here is a link for you
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/284-winchester

Last edited by WStrayer; 03/26/20.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have WW new brass coming to try.

Haven't seen a box of factory 284 in a long time, but its easy enough to order. That thought totally slipped my mind.

But I am fairly confident at this point the different brass will make a difference. If not there are a few other things I"m checking in the meantime... and will get it figured out.

Cerrosafe on the way too...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If it had came in my shop with that complaint, I would coat a factory loaded round with spray on "prussian blue" or "steel red" or last choice, magic marker. (do not use any dye product with a lubricant medium)....fire it, extract it and read the evidence. Handloads in the diagnostic phase just introduce more variables into the possibilities. My early suspicions would center on the bolt handle re-attachment, (the handle is timed to perform primary extraction at the exact degree of rotation that the locking lugs clear the locking abutment in the receiver) IF a belled chamber is eliminated. Full floating reamer holders, that many gunsmiths like ( I don't) by their very name imply a degree of risk of runout. The reamer is dependent on the pilot and the absence of flaws or changes of hardness in the barrel steel, to cut a good chamber. Reamers, like people, if allowed want to take the path of least resistance. Before I get flamed for picking a side on the proper technique for reaming, there is old skool, and new skool, each has it's advantages.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 49 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.