Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool stuff Bristoe.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 5sdad

What would be interesting would be to be able to bring someone from past times to the present and see how much they could understand of the current language. (To totally baffle them, we could present them with some of Stick's posts.)

Dog Dog Dog Dog Dog Dog Dog Dog.

I still remember that from when it likely first was aired.

Always liked Michael Ansara.

Geno

The Plainsman

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes can barely understand people from the British Isles now.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 5sdad

What would be interesting would be to be able to bring someone from past times to the present and see how much they could understand of the current language. (To totally baffle them, we could present them with some of Stick's posts.)

There is a time-travel short story about that. Wm Shakespear was brought forward.o present (at the time- i Ihink the 60's or 70's)

And was failed in the university English class he took.

Someone once said that the Brits and Americans ar two peoples divided by a common language..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
Sometimes can barely understand people from the British Isles now.

Well just where is Chiner or Canader on the globe?

One cool thing though they drop nonessential words. Such as...she went to hospital as opposed to "the hospital".

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch CSPAN when the House is in and you'll wonder if you understand English today. Certainly not Logic.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Okay! Time for the bonus round!

This is Frisian. It's about as close as you can get to the mother tongue of Old English. It's spoken by Frisians, the modern-day inhabitants of the place where the Jutes, Angles, and Saxons left to come to England.

To me, it feels like its right on the edge of understanding. I don't mean I can understand a word of it. It just means something triggers my brain into thinking there might be something there I can catch.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mother is English, I went to school in England for the 1st grade, present day English brogue is usually no problem, same with the Irish, a Scotsman, on the other hand, I need to listen very closely............ Welsh, BYE A FRICKIN VOWEL.....

my 21st Great Grand-Father is Edward I Plantagenet..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
To me, regional accents are just as bad as ye olde English. In the 70's a company I worked for in Prudhoe Bay hired a couple push boat skippers out of Lousiana. I guess they were Cajuns, nice guys and all, great boat handlers, but communications on the FM radio work channels was an absolute disaster. Nobody from the West coast could understand them, which frustrated the Cajuns, and their speech patterns and accents got louder and faster, things got more confusing, tempers flared. I was a barge engineer, one day trying to shift anchors, it got so out of hand that I called an "all stop'' (to the tune of about 25,000 bucks an hour) and requested the Cajuns to bring a deckhand up to the wheelhouse to do the communicating. Through no fault of their own, they were not hired back the following season.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shakespeare and before always kicked my ass, but I was pretty good at "Pidgen Engrish" from the Sand Pebbles...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I went to church with my folks (a lot) as a kid and for whatever reason paid attention. I was familiar with the King's English from hearing the King James Version read and expounded on all the time and reading it myself.

I was an average student in an advanced placement class all through high school and went from zero to hero in my English teacher's eyes because I understood Shakespeare much better than the (genuinely) smart kids. I think she thought I was some kind of savant or something! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
People from England will speak muzzie before long.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
To me, regional accents are just as bad as ye olde English. In the 70's a company I worked for in Prudhoe Bay hired a couple push boat skippers out of Lousiana. I guess they were Cajuns, nice guys and all, great boat handlers, but communications on the FM radio work channels was an absolute disaster. Nobody from the West coast could understand them, which frustrated the Cajuns, and their speech patterns and accents got louder and faster, things got more confusing, tempers flared. I was a barge engineer, one day trying to shift anchors, it got so out of hand that I called an "all stop'' (to the tune of about 25,000 bucks an hour) and requested the Cajuns to bring a deckhand up to the wheelhouse to do the communicating. Through no fault of their own, they were not hired back the following season.

Bring back the Navajos for the radio work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
George Bush

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well, it's a feather in my cap to have learned to decipher Gus. But to be serious, when I was in grade school I could read Gulliver's Travels, and follow it well. Today, not so easy. What is easy today? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In my younger years, I read a lot of English literature. Once you catch on to it, English humor can be pretty funny. Many people don't know that Dickens wrote more than Oliver Twist and Christmas Carol. He wrote some hilarious stuff. Now days, I can hardly make heads or tails out of it. I'm getting old, I guess. P G Wodehouse is about as English as I can get now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I like the King James Boible mpore than the modern versions and I dig Shakespeare.

But that's as fatr as it goes.

"Whan tha April with hys shoures soote, the droot of Mark hat perced to the roote..."--Chaucer

" When April with his sweet showers has piered the drought of March to the root..."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Whan that Aprile, with his shoures soute
The droughte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne, in swich Liquor
Of wich vertu engendred, is the fleur"

Off the top of my head. The start of Canterbury Tales. I learned that in 12th grade in 1968. I love studying the old English.

I learned in my studies that in the whole world, the place where the English currently spoken, is the closest to Shakespeare's English, is here in the Appalachian Mountains.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only back as far as the '60s. I dated a girl from England and when it came time to meet the parents we had dinner at her home. She brought another girl with to act as a translator an I for sure needed it. I flat out couldn't understand enough of what was said to make sense of it. The odd word I knew, but that was it. I'd have been better off with German, Latin or French.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.