Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
When a person is selling a firearm why do they sometimes put in the ad "FFL must receive from a private individual no exceptions"
Makes no sense to me.............

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some FFLs have the law wrong or want to make it harder for a person on their end to buy a gun over the net so that FFL puts in this requirement. It results in the seller having to pay an FFL on their end to ship the gun.

It all adds in expense and time

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some FFL's will only accept shipments from another FFL and not a private individual.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them

“John Wayne”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Because some FFLs will only receive firearms from another FFL. Most FFLs will charge an additional fee to take a firearm into the FFL book and then ship. Most people will say that there will be an extra fee if your FFL will not accept from a private party.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
If I understand it right and the original seller sold a sketchy firearm and my FFL received it when he ran the form guess what??? SOL........... I am out the money and the sheriff is going to original sellers door............
If I sell one over the net it is going thru a FFL on both ends.

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always CYA regardless of how you do the transaction

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xtriangle
If I understand it right and the original seller sold a sketchy firearm and my FFL received it when he ran the form guess what??? SOL........... I am out the money and the sheriff is going to original sellers door............
If I sell one over the net it is going thru a FFL on both ends.

By sketchy I assume you mean stolen. Would either FFL check that?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't understand the statement when you said your " FFL ran the form"? What does this mean? Was it stolen and if so, how did the FFL find out? Just wondering

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Many FFL's will accept a rifle or shotgun from an individual, but require handguns and AR's to be shipped from another FFL. I was told there is a much greater chance a handgun or AR was stolen. As Marcel said, CYA.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
It's not just FFL dealers that make this requirement. Some insurance companies who insure gun shops mandate this. I guess they're afraid of unknowing individual who may ship a loaded firearm, and the liability it could cause them.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by markopolo50
I don't understand the statement when you said your " FFL ran the form"? What does this mean? Was it stolen and if so, how did the FFL find out? Just wondering

I often accept firearms from individuals, but run the serial number through TICS before I do anything with it. They'll let me know right away if it's stolen.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The sending or receiving FFL (whom ever puts the firearm on their books) will run the serial number of the firearm. If it pops up in a stolen database then big issues. If sent from an FFL it will stop when the seller drops it off. If to the receiving FFL, they will call the police and the firearm will be confiscated.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My FFL will not accept a firearm from and individual he only accepts from another FFL. He told me the ATF advised him that this was a good practice for a dealer who did the large amount of business he did even though the ATF did not require it.

It is his license, his business and he gets to make the rules and he chose to follow the recommendations of the ATF agent that reviewed his books. I therefore have to pay to have the firearm put in the shippers books and also pay for the transfer on my end. If I don't like that I can go somewhere else to have the transfer done but my FFL dealer gives me great service, pricing and is otherwise great to deal with so I will not be changing dealers.

I am always concerned when someone selling a rifle says that the receiving dealer must accept from and individual. I have no problem when they say there will be an additional cost if required to ship from an FFL. I just recently purchased a rifle and when I asked the additional cost to provide and FFL on the shipping end they gave me a number which was more than acceptable to me, so I added an additional $10.00 to pay for the gas, time and trouble for him to take the rifle to the dealer, the individual lived in rural North Carolina and the FFL was some distance away.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/31/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by markopolo50

I often accept firearms from individuals, but run the serial number through TICS before I do anything with it. They'll let me know right away if it's stolen.

Ok, so Tennessee has a system but ATF doesn't have a national registration system. Am I missing something, as is there a way to check a serial number to see if it is stolen? There is no serial number reported when a NICS check is performed. I am curious as a good friend of mine had some guns stolen. He isn't computer savvy so I am keeping an eye on internet sales for them. Like looking for a needle in a haystack.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is a CYA kinda thing, I always ship any firearms I have sold via my LGS, yes I have to pay for that. However the firearm is now on their books, as being sold by me. So if in the future it shows up as stolen or used in a crime I have a track record besides my word.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Solve the problem.
Only buy from individuals in the same state. Ship direct to them. Include a copy of your drivers license and concealed carry. Oh, and they MUST be a campfire member!!!

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you live BFE, it's just not that easy to trot down the the local FFL dealer to ship a firearm.

Second, if I sell a gun, the buyer expects said gun to arrive in the condition that they bought it in. No way in hell I'm going to leave it up to the dealer to package and send off my gun. That way, it's me, and only me, that's responsible for the safe trip, and subsequent issues that may take place.

Points to ponder......Is the sending FFL going to foot the bill to return my gun to the condition it was given to him in case something happens in transit? Is he going to deal with the shipping company to make a claim? The buyer will want a full refund, should the owner be liable for that, for something that he had no hand in, or the FFL?

The seller sets the rules, if a buyer doesn't want to abide by them, move along......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Will running the serial number through TICS give you the information on who the registered owner is? Or just if it's stolen?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Solve the problem.
Only buy from individuals in the same state. Ship direct to them. Include a copy of your drivers license and concealed carry. Oh, and they MUST be a campfire member!!!

John boy some states it s now illegal to sell a gun to an individual ( Illinois for instance) must use an ffl to transfer

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't just leave a bare firearm for my FFL, I pack it. Usually in a hard case, or the original pistol case. They do tape it etc after it is inspected. Firearms can get lost in shipment as well. Being on the books as sold, shipped to another FFL is another CYA on my part. No the sending FFL is not going to take responsibility on the shipping, that is what insurance is for, and mine always asks and I insure it for the price or more. Is insurance any good? That's a whole other question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.