Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dutch
Just come and get them, Geno, before the eagles eat them all!

Just got the word from one of my retail markets, they are shutting down. Nobody shopping for fresh food. This is going to get ugly if it keeps up.

If you ate talking potatoes, this is not good for Idaho. Idaho normally ships half of it's crop as fresh pack. About 10% is grown for seed and 40% is processed. Without fresh pack sales, Idaho growers will be hit hard.

The second largest potato growing is Washington. Washington processes about 87% of it's crop. French fries are the number one processed item. Most all of the potatoes processed in Washington are grown under contracts

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are no hog farms that could feed all this ahead of their less perishable feeds?

This whole thing puzzles me.

Without the bail out would these guys have scrambled like grain producers with acres and acres of 35% corn...

This is looking like another demonstration of how government intervention undermines markets innate drive to adapt and survive.

I get that these are extreme circumstances, but this is waste on a profound scale.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dutch put me down for some of the mudbugs.

Know how to take care of that problem. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How many of you have looked into the SBA administrated CARES Act loan\grant program? It’s virtually a no doc application under $200,000K. This includes sole proprietors. The site is up and running. All you need is an EIN# and a bank account.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This kind of crap is killing the farmers here.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
How many of you have looked into the SBA administrated CARES Act loan\grant program? It’s virtually a no doc application under $200,000K. This includes sole proprietors. The site is up and running. All you need is an EIN# and a bank account.

We’re in line, but that doesn’t help me move product. If we don’t start moving fish into people’s mouth’s PDQ, it’s going to start stinking bad around here.

But, I’m on it. Three conference calls today with customers, all trying to figure out how to get it to work. Tried to talk to a custom processor yesterday, and they are slammed with orders from various internet distributors. No time to mess with anything new. Grocery stores are getting bypassed, big time; people do not want to go grocery shopping in the PNW. EVERYBODY, his uncle and his dog is trying to make home delivery work right now. If you’re laid off, grub hub, ubereats, etc are on a massive growth spurt. Lots of drivers wanted.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Lennie

Just got the word from one of my retail markets, they are shutting down. Nobody shopping for fresh food. This is going to get ugly if it keeps up.

If you ate talking potatoes, this is not good for Idaho. Idaho normally ships half of it's crop as fresh pack. About 10% is grown for seed and 40% is processed. Without fresh pack sales, Idaho growers will be hit hard.

The second largest potato growing is Washington. Washington processes about 87% of it's crop. French fries are the number one processed item. Most all of the potatoes processed in Washington are grown under contracts

Stores have a fair bit of stuff here, but ground beef and potatoes are usually gone.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
This kind of crap is killing the farmers here.

Always has.

Bet the imports of agriculture goods have not slowed much though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Florida sees about 110 million domestic tourist,11 million over seas tourist and about 3.5 million Canadians a season.

The peak of the season is between January and April.
They sent them all home early.
It's the fresh product that 125,000,000 people would have been eating if they were here.

Then there is the schools and restaurants that would be filled with locals stuffin their faces too if they were open, but they are not....

I'd suppose the local canneries are running full production through out the growing season here as always.
Being there is a timely matter involved with harvest and canning there is no way they could ramp up to take all that extra product all at once.

The 110,000,000 Americans would still be eating something, somewhere.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We’re in line, but that doesn’t help me move product. If we don’t start moving fish into people’s mouth’s PDQ, it’s going to start stinking bad around here.

But, I’m on it. Three conference calls today with customers, all trying to figure out how to get it to work. Tried to talk to a custom processor yesterday, and they are slammed with orders from various internet distributors. No time to mess with anything new. Grocery stores are getting bypassed, big time; people do not want to go grocery shopping in the PNW. EVERYBODY, his uncle and his dog is trying to make home delivery work right now. If you’re laid off, grub hub, ubereats, etc are on a massive growth spurt. Lots of drivers wanted.

I'd love to see some here in our stores. I got a fresh salmon filet here today, but it was just about an orphan.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'm puzzled... confused

Did people quit eating?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like all that they'd have to do is repackage it for the retail market instead of the wholesale market. But then I remembered that everyone is laid off of work and pretty much broke. I know it's no more filet mignon for me for a while.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm puzzled... confused

Did people quit eating?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like all that they'd have to do is repackage it for the retail market instead of the wholesale market. But then I remembered that everyone is laid off of work and pretty much broke. I know it's no more filet mignon for me for a while.

LOL...I asked for an estimate on a pound of stew meat today. wink

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The 110,000,000 Americans would still be eating something, somewhere.

Yep, and that somewhere is somewhere other than Florida.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would put a GPS IN OR ON MY COWS.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LOL...I asked for an estimate on a pound of stew meat today. wink

Everything is crazy right now.

Cattle have had the bottom drop out...

Feeder steers sold in some places for under a $1 a pound last week. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There are no hog farms that could feed all this ahead of their less perishable feeds?

Without the bail out would these guys have scrambled like grain producers with acres and acres of 35% corn...

This is looking like another demonstration of how government intervention undermines markets innate drive to adapt and survive.

I get that these are extreme circumstances, but this is waste on a profound scale.

Maybe their hands were tied by crop insurance regulations.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Maybe their hands were tied by crop insurance regulations.

fuggin' regulators and revenuers. wink

So Jim, honestly, does it work sorta like car insurance. If your damage is at a certain level they "total" your crop and tell you to plow it under?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That got my wheels turning. I'm going to look into how a long a drive it is and maybe I can make a trip with the little pick up and cargo trailer. Get friends to donate ice chests, maybe get someone to come along as co-driver.

Don't know if there's any regulations I'll get stopped for at the bug station, heck they might even be shut down.

Let me check out a few things.

Any hog farms around there you can sell some to? There's a fish back east with a common name of "hogchoker" that they used to harvest in great numbers just for that purpose.

Even if I can't get up there, I wish you the best.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Generally the crop has to be destroyed to recieve payment.

Generally you may not destroy said crop in a manner that would make you or someone else money.

Plowed under is normally how it goes.

Not sure how it works with fresh crops....but I am sure its similar.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything is shut down in the state, no personal travel. We’re still in ok shape for a couple of weeks, and if we have to, we’ll just turn the hot spigot off and put everything in hibernation. But there’s no money in that....

Fortunately, it looks like we found a way to get at least some product moving this week, so that’ll help. But dang, it’s like pulling teeth.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,994
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.