Hop To
#14734159 04/01/20
T
texken Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
while searching, I found this comment, put a washer under the trigger spring to lighten pull, hadn't heard of this before.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I've seen it. Not a fan. Smacks of a safety issue to me.

I bought a gun once that had 2 trigger springs all cobbled up in it. People try all kinds a nutty stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guy could thin one down if you were careful to lighten spring pull.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Weight of pull was never as much of an issue as creep and stageyness. Lighten the pull and all you get is an easier creep. But regardless, it is what it is and you just get used to your gun's particular pull.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Savage 99 rifles are a hunting rifle this old great rifle was not made to be a benchrest rifle ,i have never seen a trigger mis a game animal yet.light triggers are dangerous in hunting situations.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not always. My all time favorite deer rifles had double-set triggers on them. You just have to be smarter than the triggers.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Not always. My all time favorite deer rifles had double-set triggers on them. You just have to be smarter than the triggers.

>> that`s why most of us can use just a simple standard factory trigger and still get the job done just fine if not better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trigger control is the most important factor in accuracy in my opinion. And you can't control a bad trigger.

I'd rather have a rifle with a good trigger and lousy barrel than a good barrel and a lousy trigger. I know there are many here that would dispute and argue that point including my friend and esteemed colleague Mr. Noahh.

It is not my intention to take the thread in that direction and debate that paradox other than to note that 99's in general don't have the best triggers, although in my experience there is a lot of variability. Some are passible and some are darn right hideous. All of the 99's in my collection have passible triggers as I just won't tolerate a bad trigger no matter how rare the configuration. Some people buy these rifles to collect them and couldn't give a god damn about the trigger and that is A OK with me. We all have our own reasons for owning the guns we own. I own them primarily to hunt and shoot with them.

If you don't like the trigger on your 99 the best solution is to find a gun with a trigger you like better. Be it another 99 or a bolt action rifle. When you start monkeying with these triggers it often turns out worse that what you started with. And then the gun with the Bubba'ed trigger eventually winds up in some poor unsuspecting future owners hands.

Last edited by 99guy; 04/01/20. Reason: sp

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
99 guy your right about Savage 99 rifles i have some that have good triggers some that don`t ,but talking about a set trigger has nothing to do with what this post is about,. i have bench rest rifles with 4 once triggers in them and i will out shoot any set trigger with my jewell 4 oz. trigger/ bat action rifle at any distance. but back to a Savage 99 the ones i hunt with all have triggers good enough to hunt with for most of us. i have a couple of set triggers in some very expensive rifles too but i like Savage 99`s and Ruger #1`s better and do just fine hunting with them as does the rest of my family. triggers are nothing to mess with that can be dangerous unless you have a competent real gunsmith to help you with your trigger problem,be careful.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had a Sako that would fire if you closed the bolt real hard. Someone had been jacking with the trigger.

If you fooled with a 99 trigger, could you cause it to have slam fires??

I’ll hang up and listen

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely that can happen. It has happened.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
texken Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have tried to adjust savage bolt triggers (old style) could never get them below 4.5 that would not slam fire, with advice on here have never messed with 99 triggers, in op I was searching for some one to work on my post mill tang safety when I saw the washer thing

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.