-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 63 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 63
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LC brass has to be produced to military specs, FC doesn't.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That makes me feel a LOT better, 'cause I've got a LOT of LC brass...................................... made by Federal.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
LC brass has been produced by Federal but it is not Federal brass.

Of course when you start losing primers on milder loads with Federal brass, then you'll figure it out...

Ive had that problem with FC 308w and 300wsm, but never 223 rem brass. I have some that have 10 firings on it. Thats not a lot for 223 brass, but like i said, its free (range pick up). I just prepped another 1000 pieces i picked up last month and the primer pockets are nice and tight. Ill keep running it, as ive had no issues with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I was under the impression that the FC brass with SCAMP dots and primer pocket crimping came off the same production lines as Lake City, and was just Lake City with a different headstamp?

Last edited by auk1124; 02/24/20.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
LC is good brass, have no fear.

Commercial FC brass is or at least used to be soft and I've lost primers on the 2nd firing with less than max loads. I bought a few thousand American Eagle 50 grain holler points that was good accurate ammo but the FC brass sucked. I shot deeper into my stash and noticed the rest was loaded with LC brass that proved excellent.

Just be careful with FC.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang BSA, all my other AR's have Aimponts and EoTechs on em, that'd make for a real shltshow with two 10 rounders at 100! grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang BSA, all my other AR's have Aimponts and EoTechs on em, that'd make for a real shltshow with two 10 rounders at 100! grin

grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR
LC brass has been produced by Federal but it is not Federal brass.

Of course when you start losing primers on milder loads with Federal brass, then you'll figure it out...

Ive had that problem with FC 308w and 300wsm, but never 223 rem brass. I have some that have 10 firings on it. Thats not a lot for 223 brass, but like i said, its free (range pick up). I just prepped another 1000 pieces i picked up last month and the primer pockets are nice and tight. Ill keep running it, as ive had no issues with it.

Interesting we've run FC 308 a LOT of firings in bolt guns. But to be fair it was GMM brass from the late 80s if that makes a matter...

But I've seen way to many loose pockets on FC 223 brass. In fact picking up GMM once fired off the line you usually found a few missing primers already.

I'm amazed at how many don't know the LC story that its all LC brass to LC specs regardless of who gets the contract. It would HAVE to be since its made to LC spec nothing else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
I was under the impression that the FC brass with SCAMP dots and primer pocket crimping came off the same production lines as Lake City, and was just Lake City with a different headstamp?
Me too. but frankly, I'm so confused by which is which I couldn't tell you!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

GMM brass from the late 80s if that makes a matter...

Yes, it does matter..................FC brass in general, was much harder & would handle more pressure than anything else during that time frame.

If I bought brass to run hard in any of my BG guns during that era, it was always FC if I could get it. And I know Bob Hagel even wrote about as being the hardest, & thickest in the case head area with the least primer pocket expansion.

Can't address the 223 stuff at that time, though, so I don't know if it followed that same line.

MM

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

grin

With shooting Sharps rifles with irons, I bet I could do better with the backup flipups on these AR's vs the red light flashers, that would be a fun challenge even finishing last! cool they're all zeroed at 36 yards.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There have been no targets posted in a while.....

I started practicing a little for the upcoming season. These at the NRA high power 600 yard targets reduced for 100 yards. All shots were fired prone with a sling and no bipod or rest. I shot a 200 yard match the next day and scored a 196-11X. Decent score, good X count, should not have dropped four points.

The rifle has a WOA upper, Shilen 1-8 barrel, Geissele MK7 rail, the lower is a Aero Precision with a Geissele trigger, the scope is a VX 4.5 HD Leupold with a Giessele mount.
My other rifle is almost identical except it has a 1-7.5 Shilen with the FX4.5HD Leupold.

Targets in the photos were shot on 2-22-20

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That low shot was my first of the second 10 round string. Position/NPA was off slightly.

Last edited by Mike70560; 02/25/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting Mike.
That seems like a pretty stiff Varget load for an 80 gr bullet; any pressure issues?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nice shooting Mike.
That seems like a pretty stiff Varget load for an 80 gr bullet; any pressure issues?

It is a stout load, I do not recommend it for any reason.

I am shooting a Wylde chamber and loading them about .010 off the lands.

In general no issue, twice I had a little bit of a carbon ring buildup and started blowing primers.

Last edited by Mike70560; 02/25/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mike70560
There have been no targets posted in a while.....

I started practicing a little for the upcoming season. These at the NRA high power 600 yard targets reduced for 100 yards. All shots were fired prone with a sling and no bipod or rest. I shot a 200 yard match the next day and scored a 196-11X. Decent score, good X count, should not have dropped four points.

The rifle has a WOA upper, Shilen 1-8 barrel, Geissele MK7 rail, the lower is a Aero Precision with a Geissele trigger, the scope is a VX 4.5 HD Leupold with a Giessele mount.
My other rifle is almost identical except it has a 1-7.5 Shilen with the FX4.5HD Leupold.

Targets in the photos were shot on 2-22-20

That low shot was my first of the second 10 round string. Position/NPA was off slightly.

Nice shooting mike. Great scores. You should post targets like the op specifies. 2 10 shot groups on the same paper and show your rifle off with a pic of that too.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its better to shoot at a target with irons that you are used to, than to follow whatever rules are. FWIW.

Scopes no big deal.

Those 100 yard reduced are small 10 rings, makes you a better shooter, but really 100 can't teach any wind to speak of but it sure can teach you or force you to set up perfect and break perfect shots for the most part. A wide 10 at 600 is a 9 on the 100 yard target all day long

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jeff,

As you know, the MR31 will teach you to pay attention to position, trigger control, NPA, sight alignment, all of the other things it takes to make a good shot.

Its 1 3/4” ten ring gets really small on around the 17th shot when you are clean up to that point.

True to our sport, both of those groups were shot with a sling and no rest of any kind.

I am signed up for the two day midrange Regional in Carthage. Should be a lot of fun.

Yes it is a left handed upper and yes the scope is very forward.

Last edited by Mike70560; 02/26/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude, you are a stud.
All male HP shooters are studs. But the good shooters even more so.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tyrone,

That would be funny if it were not so true.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Jeff,

As you know, the MR31 will teach you to pay attention to position, trigger control, NPA, sight alignment, all of the other things it takes to make a good shot.

Its 1 3/4” ten ring gets really small on around the 17th shot when you are clean up to that point.

True to our sport, both of those groups were shot with a sling and no rest of any kind.

I am signed up for the two day midrange Regional in Carthage. Should be a lot of fun.

Yes it is a left handed upper and yes the scope is very forward.

Yep, but I learned to get past shot 17. Some [bleep] coach in Carthage of all places cured me of that. Maybe I should thank him, but I was 17 shots in on the full 600 and I had either 1 or 2 in the 10 ring only... he says whatever you do, don't shoot a 9, you are on track of the new record... bang. 9. [bleep]. I think I had a 199-17x or 16X. I hate that idiot to this day. Plus his cheating for us at nationals. But I digress.

Rifle looks good. Doesn't look right to us. But we quit in 2004 IIRC. Scopes just don't look right but sure might be fun.

Shot an 9x on 300 rapid reduced 100 once too... it was so pretty....

Carolyn is not a stud. LMAO.

Page 60 of 63 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.